Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Do I ground the neg wires with my setup for Mini Govenor?

• Compass 6HV 12s
  • Mini V Bar 5.2
  • WR Hercules BEC w/ 2x 6V outputs (6V running servos)
  • HW 70A HV ESC
  • Hyperion Phase sensor
---I read over and over to limit the hyperion voltage and did so with x3 diodes in-line on the positive wire, reducing the input voltage to 5.25. The power is coming from the second 6V output from the BEC, the other is to the V Bar.

---The phase sensor is "crimped" into one of the motor wire bullet connectors.

---The white signal wire is mounted facing up in Rx A.

---Gov mode is disabled in the HW ESC.

---The motor pole value (4), pinion and gear tooth count are entered correctly.

The phase sensor appears not to read the current rpms and the high / low limits don't behaive as MrMel shows during setup. I've read about somehow connecting negative wires to give the sensor "consistantcy", but I have no idea how to do this or if it's necessary in my case.

Any thoughts?! Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ulrich at the vstabi.info/en forum (Mr. VBar) says 6 volts is OK for the Hyperion phase sensor. http://www.vstabi.info/forum/read.ph...7403#msg-67403. It's working for me.

Personally, I would solder the connection and not crimp unless you have an absolutely bulletproof, vibration proof, corrosion proof crimp.

Top (closest to label) pin of RX A for signal wire is correct: http://www.66pacific.com/vbar_governor.aspx

> ---The motor pole value (4), pinion and gear tooth count are entered correctly.
So there are 8 poles in that motor and you divided by two, yes?

Have you seen these diagrams? http://vstabi.info/en/node/1046

As a rule in electrical and electronic systems, you want to have a single ground reference, not "grounds" daisy-chained all over the place. The ideal is to have your grounds ("-" in this case) all tied together at one place (right at the battery - lead would be ideal), and then have short direct leads radiating from there (a "star ground").

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkiter View Post
  • Compass 6HV 12s
  • Mini V Bar 5.2
  • WR Hercules BEC w/ 2x 6V outputs (6V running servos)
  • HW 70A HV ESC
  • Hyperion Phase sensor
---I read over and over to limit the hyperion voltage and did so with x3 diodes in-line on the positive wire, reducing the input voltage to 5.25. The power is coming from the second 6V output from the BEC, the other is to the V Bar.

---The phase sensor is "crimped" into one of the motor wire bullet connectors.

---The white signal wire is mounted facing up in Rx A.

---Gov mode is disabled in the HW ESC.

---The motor pole value (4), pinion and gear tooth count are entered correctly.

The phase sensor appears not to read the current rpms and the high / low limits don't behaive as MrMel shows during setup. I've read about somehow connecting negative wires to give the sensor "consistantcy", but I have no idea how to do this or if it's necessary in my case.

Any thoughts?! Thanks in advance.
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the check-in Harbor!

In reference to the link ( http://vstabi.info/en/node/1046 ), I don't quite understand how the wires in Rx B work out. My esc is in B and sensor wire is in A the exact same way. Do the (+) and (-) leads from the esc and the sensor get spliced together some how to enter channel B together?

EDIT: I guess that's a yes! http://www.readyheli.com/MIK4351-Pow...r_p_35429.html

I'm still a bit lost with the star ground bit. I'd need to see pics of someone else's setup to truly appreciate what the harness would look like.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My esc is in B and sensor wire is in A the exact same way. Do the (+) and (-) leads from the esc and the sensor get spliced together some how to enter channel B together?
You don't mean that you just plugged the Hyperion phase sensor into RX A do you? You have to split it into two plugs: one goes into RX C (the plus and minus) and the "sensor" line goes to the top pin of RX A. The photo in the link in my previous post shows how it's done.

Don't sweat the "star ground" stuff too much. But if you are powering your servos with a BEC, I would run the minus lead of the BEC to the - lead of VBar just to make sure they're all seeing the same ground.

Last edited by Harbormaster; 10-09-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do the (+) and (-) leads from the esc and the sensor get spliced together some how to enter channel B together?
BTW, all of the VBar + pins are connected and all of the - pins are connected. Two devices that that are both receiving + and - are effectively linked for that reason. Only the signal pins are isolated.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the power for my phase sensor coming from RXC (6V from the VBar) and the signal cable for the phase sensor in the top of RXA.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
But if you are powering your servos with a BEC, I would run the minus lead of the BEC to the - lead of VBar just to make sure they're all seeing the same ground.
What do you mean by "- lead of the Vbar"? Do you mean run a line from one neg to the other on both BEC outputs?

Currently, one output is plugged into the Vbar and one is free to use.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What do you mean by "- lead of the Vbar"? Do you mean run a line from one neg to the other on both BEC outputs?

Currently, one output is plugged into the Vbar and one is free to use.
Sorry, I meant any minus pin on the VBar (they're all connected).

So it looks like you're powering the VBar with the BEC and not just the servos. If that's the case, then there's no problem; all of the equipment should be seeing the same voltages.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in