Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default size comparison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Is the Goblin 700 a bit small being a 90 sized machine?
The Goblin 700 canopy may be the smallest 90 size electric canopy out there when one looks at the front portion of it. It in fact looks smaller than my Logo 600 canopy. However, due to the wraparound style, and blending with the unique designed tailboom, the whole thing is in harmony and looks big as a real 700 electric.

My Logo 600 measures 1260mm from nose tip to tail tip. The goblin measures 1360mm. So there is a ~100mm difference in the length (about 4 inches).

Long Nguyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpVpRb View Post
Excellent photos!

Are you a professional photographer?

And, the heli parts look really good...
No I am no professional. Photography is another hobby of mine.

The aluminum parts are of the best I have seen.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default WR Super Bec

Im curious if the WR Super BEC worked out. Did you have to extend anything? I tried to fit one on a friends goblin and the 2 RX leads were too short to reach the VBar.
BigQ951 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Nguyen View Post
The Goblin 700 canopy may be the smallest 90 size electric canopy out there when one looks at the front portion of it. It in fact looks smaller than my Logo 600 canopy. However, due to the wraparound style, and blending with the unique designed tailboom, the whole thing is in harmony and looks big as a real 700 electric.

My Logo 600 measures 1260mm from nose tip to tail tip. The goblin measures 1360mm. So there is a ~100mm difference in the length (about 4 inches).
So the frame is about just as big as any other 700?

How would you compare it to other 700s?

And also, what is the AUW of your Goblin 700 with 12S? I want to make sure that if I get a 700, I won't get like a Logo 600SE being all light and floaty - basically a stretched 600. SMACK!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

In answer to your Question Mathias, this helicopter is just all together very different than any other 700E out there it is Lighter more stream lined and has a very advanced forward thinking design leading it to be just too different to try to classify it as a regular looking 700E.

I was very lucky to be one of the first to recieve the Demo kits to build for the Las Vegas Funfly such as Long Nyugen, and to be testing the new Quantum motor, and I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but after building this machine there is really no comparison to any other design out there that translates so well into the flight of the helicopter. To me and this is just one point of view, this helicopter is faster than a TDR, more Agile and precise than Logo 600 3D in 3D maneuver, and note I said 3D maneuvers not Top Speed witch I will looking to test myself. 0

This Helicopter is a whole other Beast with a Super Bright future in front of it, and I myself will looking forward seeing the best in the world fly it, and see how they like it.
PoppinFresh27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinFresh27 View Post
In answer to your Question Mathias, this helicopter is just all together very different than any other 700E out there it is Lighter more stream lined and has a very advanced forward thinking design leading it to be just too different to try to classify it as a regular looking 700E.

I was very lucky to be one of the first to recieve the Demo kits to build for the Las Vegas Funfly such as Long Nyugen, and to be testing the new Quantum motor, and I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but after building this machine there is really no comparison to any other design out there that translates so well into the flight of the helicopter. To me and this is just one point of view, this helicopter is faster than a TDR, more Agile and precise than Logo 600 3D in 3D maneuver, and note I said 3D maneuvers not Top Speed witch I will looking to test myself. 0

This Helicopter is a whole other Beast with a Super Bright future in front of it, and I myself will looking forward seeing the best in the world fly it, and see how they like it.
Faster than a TDR? Have you flown both? I am letting those questions hang out there, until you have flown both with similar power setups, like WE HAVE DONE!
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Faster than a TDR? Have you flown both? I am letting those questions hang out there, until you have flown both with similar power setups, like WE HAVE DONE!
One of our local pilots has been preparing for the speed cup and is doing trials on a modified TDR with a 14s power system and custom wound motor. He's well over 145 now.

2500 rpm on the head, 15 degrees of pitch.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HeliG got to +290km/h on a stock setup, granted not in level flight, but we regularly get to +230km/h level flights. (143 mph)
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Long,

Where did you get the 16S YGE from? I thought those couldn't be sold due to some regulation, but that's hearse.

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
So the frame is about just as big as any other 700?

How would you compare it to other 700s?

And also, what is the AUW of your Goblin 700 with 12S? I want to make sure that if I get a 700, I won't get like a Logo 600SE being all light and floaty - basically a stretched 600. SMACK!
The frame actually looks smaller because of the servo layout. Everything sits close together on the same aluminum base plate. I don't have a T700e to really compare against. But it does look smaller.

The weight without battery is 3450g. Just add battery of your choice. A 12s5000mAh pack should weigh about 1600-1700g. That makes it 5050-5150g flying weight.

With that huge Quantum motor, it is heavier than T700e's with stock components. Heavier helicopters smack better!

Flying characteristics will be reported soon because I haven't had that many flights on it. The vbar tuning has not finished.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
Hey Long,

Where did you get the 16S YGE from? I thought those couldn't be sold due to some regulation, but that's hearse.
I special ordered it from elektrorc.com.

Yes everything over 15s DC is not allowed to mass sell here.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigQ951 View Post
Im curious if the WR Super BEC worked out. Did you have to extend anything? I tried to fit one on a friends goblin and the 2 RX leads were too short to reach the VBar.
I have been using the Jive BEC.

But as soon as I receive my YGE 120HV I will install the WR Super BEC. I will place the BEC under the battery tray therefore the leads will be on the short side. I will have to extent both input and output cables. To minimize voltage drop due to long wires (higher resistant) I will use bigger gauge wires.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info Long! Are they also doing the built in phase sensor as well?

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
Thanks for the info Long! Are they also doing the built in phase sensor as well?
Yes they have the built-in phase sensor.

Will receive mine tomorrow or latest the day after tomorrow. It will be ready for Vegas!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Nguyen View Post
I have been waiting for some final electronics to come to finish the build. I got everything except for the YGE 120A 16s version (because I want to run a 16s setup). The ESC is not coming in another week so I decided to strap a 12s setup onto it for now:

Kontroniks HeliJive 120A
Quantum 4530 500KV motor (this is soon to be bundled with the kit)
Pulse 12s4500mAh 45C

Due to a little time I have right now and the weather has not been favorable, I only had a 2 minute flight yesterday with a few punch-outs and flips. Everything went successfully. Little do I know about it is that the collective is BALLISTIC! I was running only 12 degrees of pitch and 1900rpm, and the thing shots up the sky effortlessly! Don't forget to mention the quantum 4530 500KV definitely has a huge load of torque in it!

This weekend, I will be testing this setup more with detail information about the in-flight current draw, wattage and headspeed.

Besides, I have a few statistics for you guys: RTF weight without batteries = 3450g. This is with the HeliJive 120A which is a relatively light ESC (built-in BEC), and the 570g Quantum motor. The manual states 3290g (not sure with what setup). The Trex700e weighs pretty much in the same range.

For more information about the quantum motor, please visit: http://www.facebook.com/quantummotors

Stay tuned for more reports!
Any more updates about flying with the Quantum 4530... i.e. is hard on the batterys, does it run cool, etc.

thx
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Flight data update!

Today I finally had some chance to fly my Goblin. I did totally 5 flights. I started to enjoy it more. Here is the report:

- Flight characteristics: For cyclic/ collective I didn't like it at first. I wanted it to be smooth, graceful and still do good smacks (like the logo 600). The goblin was solid but too STIFF. Too stiff to the point that the maneuvers were hard to carry out smoothly and gracefully. This is because of the goblin's extra stiff/rigid dampeners.
To adjust it to my like, I had to lower the Vbar main rotor gain to the 50's and still deviate from this point to improve it. Besides, the style value was high medium. With new Vbar settings, I started to like it much more!

At first with stock Vbar tail settings (tail gain was 70), the tail performance was poor under side way loops. The stopping power was not good either. I went ahead and raised the I-gain to 75 (I-gain kills the steady state errors hence helps stop power). My main gain was adjusted to mid 60s and it started to perform much better. No more loose tail in sideway loops and stopping power was strong and nice. Moreover, in very fast forward flight, the tail did not "shake" as much!
- Flight data: originally I wanted to run a 14s setup but I had problems with the ESC so I put this setup on hold. I have been running a 12s setup instead.
HeliJive 120HV with internal Governor @ 2100 headpseed
Quantum 4530-500KV motor + 22T pinion
12s batteries. One is 4500mAh 35C, the other is 12s5000mAh 45C.

With the 12s5000 packs flight time was better, the heli felt more powerful and I definitely liked it more. Here are the 2 graphs, one is for each battery.

The HeliJive did a good job in holding the headspeed. However, I still like the Vbar Governor better. I haven't setup Vbar governor on my Goblin (will do soon), but on my Protos 450 and Logo 600, it outperformed the Kontronik. Vbar Governor has a much better collective feel.

The quantum motor worked GREAT. It generates tons of power when I need and still doesn't drain much battery energy. On average, it consumes about 820mAh/min at 12s voltage. With a 5000mAh pack and 80% rule, with my flying style I would be safely able to get 4 mins and 4.5mins if I want to push it. I was pushing 6600-6700watts.
Bottom line, I started to like my Goblin more and more. I still have to find the sweet spots on both head settings and tail settings. I am looking for a good smack machine but still does smooth and graceful maneuvers. Power seems more than enough for general 3D purposes with the current setup.

More reports to come!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The graphs did not turn out very good. I will find a way to make them better.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Long Nguyen, good info... thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

Show us PWM motor curve!!! It looks like you need a bigger pinion!
popokatepetl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by popokatepetl View Post
Show us PWM motor curve!!! It looks like you need a bigger pinion!
I also think a larger PULLY would be better for 2100 rpm. Will be running a 500 KV motor with the CC 120 Ice and the 22T pully is perfect for 1900 rpm & 1950 rpm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in