Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input guys. I figured I would trouble shoot the tail if it does become a issue. If it acted up still after that I would then swap out the gyro or servo. But then I stumbled on a thread in here where there was nothing but negative feed back on the GP 780. I was figuring I should just cut to the chase. Guess I will just roll the dice with the GP 780 and see what happens.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I figured I would trouble shoot the tail if it does become a issue. If it acted up still after that I would then swap out the gyro or servo. But then I stumbled on a thread in here where there was nothing but negative feed back on the GP 780. I was figuring I should just cut to the chase. Guess I will just roll the dice with the GP 780 and see what happens.
You can find a thread like that for every product ever made - it is meaningless.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
You can find a thread like that for every product ever made - it is meaningless.
LOL how true.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the 780s a fine gyro. It took me a while to get the tail set up just right my first build (mechanical first), but after that it's a breeze.

I'd never pay MSRP for it... I think Align lists it for the $170s, for that money I got a Futaba GY520. I'd say that the 520 was no better than the GP780. It's way more tweakable with the software interface, but straight out of the box with a basic 'button' setup the 520 and the 780 are pretty much on par with each other IMHO.

If you're going to invest in the USB programmer for the GY520, and invest in sitting down to tweak it properly... the 520 can be a great gyro on this heli. If you're not going to do that though, don't throw out your perfectly good 780
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

JoeW - that is a heck of a good point. If the 780 didn't come with the kit, I would have got a Futaba.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gyro can be very confusing. I have T250 with cheap GA-250. It works good.
Then I have Gaui 255. With 780 it wag very bad. Try everything, won't work. But with GA-250 it works great. Then I put the 780 in T250, it works fine.
Why 780 won't work in Gaui 255? I don't have any binding, not even vibration.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
Gyro can be very confusing. I have T250 with cheap GA-250. It works good.
Then I have Gaui 255. With 780 it wag very bad. Try everything, won't work. But with GA-250 it works great. Then I put the 780 in T250, it works fine.
Why 780 won't work in Gaui 255? I don't have any binding, not even vibration.
Some servo-gyro combinations are bad. I don't have a good list, but an example is the G110 with DS75 servo - it's horrible, but you change either the servo to a good one, or the gyro to a good one, and it works fine.

One thing about the 780 is it's very sensitive to vibrations, and it needs good mounting tape. Also the gain values tend to be a little lower for it. Tail wag simply means you have the gain too high - but if you turn it down till it stops waggin and then it won't hold at all, you probably have a mechanical issue or bad servo.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed there was about 1 mm of slop on the tail shaft. It looked like this slop could cause a slight increase of pitch once pressure from the push of the blades was enabled in either direction. I decided I wanted a tighter fit so I took off the bar spacer on the back of the tail case. I then filed it down 1 mm or so until the case and the bearing were pulled tighter onto the tail drive gear. This one simple thing seemed to tighten the whole tail quite nicely. Best part was it only was 2 screws and took 5 minutes to do. Hope it helps and that the slop didn't have a purpose. LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my case, both heli have the same tail servo. I did try different pad and combinations, but still won't work.
When I put the gyro in my 250, I use the same pad as in 255.
If I have problem on Gaui 255, why works with cheap gyro but not on more expensive gyro.
Could it be any distortion from the motor? The distance is only 5-10 mm away.
I put the gyro on the top lower plate and the ESC on the other side, bottom lower plate.
If I have a mechanical problem, I am sure that with other gyro I will also get a wag.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hope it helps and that the slop didn't have a purpose. LOL
It does... but I think it can be tightened down a bit from the way it is. It needs to have a little freedom of movement. Note that the tail doesn't have dampers and a feathering shaft to allow the blades to flap - they flap independently. Removing the ability to flap a little bit can cause issues when you have a lot of airspeed.

So... take your heli out and do some fast backward circuits and see if the tail wobbles, or if it doesn't track straight in forward flight. That would be the result of the tail not flapping right.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be a while till I fly the 250. I still need a bunch of stuff to fly it that is not in the budget right now. Tax time is a bummer for me seeing that I am self employed. I get to pay the man this time of year. lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I wasn't going to do it just yet........ But I will be getting myself a new TX. I have a battery too. 20c 800mah gen ace. Now I just have to wait on my LHS to get some chargers in. LOL I just can't help myself.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel like I am spamming this this thread. LOL.

So I picked up a DX7s and it came with the AR8000 with satellite RX. The only place I can put this beast of a receiver is under the battery,stuck to the side of the frame or hanging far out from under the gyro. So my two questions are.

There is a carbon interference warning that comes with this RX. Has anyone had the frame cause problems with the signal?

The AR 8000 has a small antenna so I can not get it out of the canopy if I put it under the battery tray. I plan on using the satellite under the gyro if I do put the AR 8000 there. Do you see any potential issues with this set up? I like this one the best as it is quite clean. I will also run all my control wires on one side and the power on the other to try and protect from interference.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That would be fine like that, you don't need to worry about poking the antenna out, heck, with the sat on the back you'll be totally in the clear.

My suggestion though would be to put in an AR6115E, they're DSMX, support the telemetry and small enough to fit in the frame. It will set you back about $40. That's really the perfect Spektrum Rx for the 250. Save that $130 AR8000 for your next build

For telemetry, I prefer the TM1100 for the 250, it's just a little bigger than a sat Rx so it fits nicely also. I put the Sat under the gyro tray inside the frame and the TM1100 right behind that. It doesn't have the long antenna to worry about, but also isn't 'full range' but trust me... if you get out of range of that TM1100 you won't be looking for telemetry data... you'll be looking for your 250

The TM1100 doesn't support the advanced telemetry like the altimiter, air speed or g-force but does all the others, pack voltage, Rx voltage, flight log, temp and RPM.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah you are better off saving that 8000 for a big ugly plank or something

They make good RXs for FPV because of the extra channels you can use for pan and tilt and such.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys this helps a bunch. I will go with the Ar 8000 RX and strip it out and replace it when I get the next build going. Or when I find $40 lying around. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause a problem. I really am not concerned about the weight at the moment as I am such a noob at this point I am sure I already have more heli then I can handel.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just spooled the little sucker up for the first time with blades on in the living room. Everything looks awesome. I just need to go it over one more time and hope for good Maiden weather. I am going to have to get lots of batteries for this little guy.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Just spooled the little sucker up for the first time with blades on in the living room.
Yeah I made that mistake too

Sounds like it's ready to go I guess then. All you can do now is give a go at it - use some training balls on the first flight.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

First off I want to ask am I missing something or are the diagrams for blade pitch settings way off in the manual? Whats up with the tilted swash?

Anyhow I Had a real interesting read on setting Cyclic pitch last night. Looks like I have to make myself a tool to lock the flybar.

I found the servo Rod lengths were way off (elevator and aileron). So I started digging deeper into the web for advice. I think I am starting to realize that I had a better understanding of all this stuff then I figured. I guess this little guy humbled me a bit. It is not like me to doubt myself and go about things in such a way. LOL

I know a lot of advice is for Newbies to stay away from a 250. But after the Mcpx I find this is a dream to work on. Atleast for those that are detailed oriented like myself. With every tweak I can feel it get steadier and steadier. I can see that with patients that this heli can become as stable as my MCPX. I can also see how a bigger heli with higher tolerances can be more forgiving as a build and a flier. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sure I only had this heli hovering 1 foot in the air so far for 20 seconds. But I can see that this is going to be my go to heli. I think the MCPX is going to have some issues.

But I better get some training gear before I go and roll it into the living room carpet.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with my build. I appreciated all the help. Hope I am outta the woods.If not I always know where to find help. Always a fellow freak that's a click of the mouse away .................................
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I know a lot of advice is for Newbies to stay away from a 250. But after the Mcpx I find this is a dream to work on. Atleast for those that are detailed oriented like myself. With every tweak I can feel it get steadier and steadier. I can see that with patients that this heli can become as stable as my MCPX. I can also see how a bigger heli with higher tolerances can be more forgiving as a build and a flier. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
Amen Brother!

When I did my first build I was initially impressed with the parts quality over even (no offence) Blade 'upgrade' parts. Then when I got flying and found how responsive it was, I was hooked.

Oh, and by the way, you're officially hooked now
DX8 + Telemetery on all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in