mcpx not a real heli? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default mcpx not a real heli?

Iv been reading alot on this fourm and keep hearing people say that the mcpx is not a real heli. what am i missing. it flips rolls and flys inverted. looking at getting a 450 should i expect something completly diffrent since they are a real heli? just a lil confused on why people are saying the micro is not a heli
ritzcrakers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's an RC heli.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first thing you will notice is you don't get "do overs" with a 450, a tip over will ground you, whereas an mcpx can take many dumps and be right back in the air..You can treat it like a toy...
Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i consider it a toy.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

if it looks like a heli and flies like heli but is smaller than a heli then its just a smaller heli.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: From Utah, transferred from u of u to u of washington

I have flown a friends mcpx and then i fly my helicopters from a 450 to a 700. I know people will totally hate me and think i am some retard but i think it is a toy. Plus quite honestly it flies nothing like a 450, in fact i thought it was harder to fly then a 450. One of the students in my hall started with the mcpx and then went to an align 450 pro. he even said that the 450 was night and day difference and wish he would have started with the 450 instead. I have flown his and I think if you never plan on upgrading then it is a great buy if you plan on upgrading then it is kinda pointless.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not only MPCX but all the other Walkera's helicopters. They don't have enough power to do the things you can do with for example 250. They are nice if you want to fly them inside your house, and they are good to help you with the orientation. But you are not able to do many things that you are with bigger helicopters. I can do tic tocs, fly inverted 8's and some 3d, but not on Walkera's genius mini or mcpx.

Take a paper cup of water - drink it, and drop it on the ground. You will just spill the water, but you will be able to use the paper cup again. Drink the water from the glass - drop it - no more glass. But what do you prefer? To drink water from the paper cup or from the glass.

Cheers!!!

Emil
emil_dimitrijevic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brushless or stock? If we are talking about brushless than it's a whole different story.
I dont know what it cant do.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying Daniel

Who is able to fly them like this? I said - I cannot - I didn't say those helicopters cannot do what the bigger can. After a few changes can fly amazingly - brushless + 30 to 50 dollars, better battery 10 to 20 dollars - better blades - 10 to 20 dollars, etc. So when you add everything it costs more than 250
emil_dimitrijevic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't sell the mcpx short, I think it's the best learning tool you can buy short of a simulator. It's difficult to fly and really forces you to develop skill with collective management while also being forgiving in crashes.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, not me flying! i agree adding the brushless setup is a lil more, but to keep and maintain this little guy is very cheap, 6$ for the hyperion 1s 550mah, 9-10$ blades yes, and if you get the canopy from Xtreme upgrades, it will never break no matter what you do to it, i bought 3 last time, after so many crashes, im still using the first canopy without a single crack they are as thick as the rc car bodies. When my bigger guys are down, this is what keeps me going, it doesnt hurt to have one even if you have bigger helis, assuming you already have one. But i think i spent around 250 on top already with this heli with all the aluminium, cf, brushless, battery upgrades, but keep in mind it's pretty much a bullet proof heli now!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it a toy? Yes but so is a 700n with a YS120.
Is it a CP heli. Absolutely.
Now where does it fall into our hobby?
Newbies learn to hover, FF and go inverted.
Flyers get to learn inverted curcuits and break there barriers by trying new stuff.
All this without putting in an expensive setup.

Just a few weeks ago a guy I know, who's only flying was with the mCPX, met up with us at the field. He had his new Rave 450 and a new Spectrum/BX reciever. He was 90% there on having it set up properly and a guy at the field finished it off, checked over his build and took for a test.

Winds were blowing at 20mph and he hovered it for a couple packs.

The next day we met up and on his second flight you would have thought he was a year into the hobby, clean curcuits. Mind you this guy DOES NOT OWN A SIM!

Next flight, flips, inverted punch outs, wow.

The mCPx unlockeded his skills as a newbie.

The mCPx is fun but it is also a tool.

I have a 6yr old now learning to hover with a mCPx. Yeah I would have never let him touch a 450 or bigger heli but the mCPx is a perfect heli fo him to learn on.

In my opinion the mCPx is only what you make of it. Learning to fly, getting beyond barriers or just enjoying less costly crashes.

It is a toy heli just like a Goblin is, just costs less.

(trick trucks, mud trucks, show cars,ie......) they are all toys! We just think ours are cooler!
MichiganFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not about the size of your heli. It is how you Fly It!
MichiganFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

MCPX is awesome I am using it right now to teach me inverted circuits. If I was using a 450 to teach me inverted circuits I would have spent well over 300
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can a full size Sea King do wild 3D? No.
Is a full sizer Sea King a helicopter? Of course it is.
What _is_ a helicopter in the first place? A rotary wing flying machine is one short way of describing them.

Is an mcpx a rotary wing model? Yes.
Does it fly? Yes.
Ok, it's a helicopter.

Can it do wild 3D? Who cares, it still is a helicopter.
How is it controlled? By RC.

Ok, the mcpx is an RC helicopter.

[rant in D minor]All this "a heli must be able to perform the wildest 3D or it's a disgrace to this knightliest of arts" is nothing short of mindnumbing, narrowminded nonsense. Even RC helis are much more than 3D. Scale flying, precision flying, lazy flyin for relaxation or 3D, pick a favourite but dont' forget it's only your favourite.[/rant in D minor]
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,

Last edited by LN400; 03-31-2012 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: Corrected spelling errors
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

I will have to disagree with those that think it is a toy.

The MCPX has been a great learning tool for many many people including myself. I used to think it was stupid. When I first started flying helis about ten months ago I got one and could barely hover it and never got it flipped over, sold it. Fast forward to two months ago. Whenever I fly one of my stock MCPX's people assume it's brushless because of how hard I fly mine and have it setup, bone stock except the tail boom extension. It's great for learning a lot of stuff, even big air! I think a lot of people get mad they can't just jam the sticks around and get away with it. My flying has actually vastly improved in the last two months from lots of MCPX time.

I usually fly about 10-20packs a day on the MCPX and fly 5-10 every couple days on the big stuff.

Going brushless is simple and easy now. You don't need KBDD blades, in fact those things suck IMO. The stock bullet blades are LOCKED IN! Forget anything except, motor, esc, hyperion 550mah and sr120tail. $70 and you are set.
vr360 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a "love-hate" relationship with my MCPX, but I'm still glad I have it around.
rrlc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN400 View Post
Can a full size Sea King do wild 3D? No.
Is a full sizer Sea King a helicopter? Of course it is.
What _is_ a helicopter in the first place? A rotary wing flying machine is one short way of describing them.

Is an mcpx a rotary wing model? Yes.
Does it fly? Yes.
Ok, it's a helicopter.

Can it do wild 3D? Who cares, it still is a helicopter.
How is it controlled? By RC.

Ok, the mcpx is an RC helicopter.

[rant in D minor]All this "a heli must be able to perform the wildest 3D or it's a disgrace to this knightliest of arts" is nothing short of mindnumbing, narrowminded nonsense. Even RC helis are much more than 3D. Scale flying, precision flying, lazy flyin for relaxation or 3D, pick a favourite but dont' forget it's only your favourite.[/rant in D minor]
So, is a Compass 7HV not a heli if you compare it to a REAL helicopter....

And all Rc helis are toys, not for small kids but still they are toys, expensive too.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think starting with the mcpx would make you a better pilot. It's harder to fly but more forgiving making you that much better when you move to a more stable bird. It is a toy until you put brushless mods on and those blades get whipping that's when the damage and safety comes into play!
ktmdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a heli, flies like a heli, generates smiles like a heli, crashes and generates frowns and laughter from said crashing. Must be a heli.

Wonderful learning tool and a boat load of fun that can be had in your own yard.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.