Starter shaft OWB slipping - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking "In good spirit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegndarySaiyan View Post
I hope you guys laugh in good spirit. The OWB and starter coupling are certainly an issue, I also have teeth chipping off the black tail gears in flight. These are occasional problems, not a problem every flight but they are the biggest issues with my model. However, the velo 50 is an absolute champ when it's flying well. I have an align 600n also but it collects dust because my velo flies so much better. I fly my velocity more than all my other helis because it has been very reliable, low maintenance, and it's flight characteristics are unmatched by any other 50 I've witnessed. I change tail gears and starter couplings fairly often but for me it's a small price to pay. I'm not arguing there isn't room for improvement in QC but the velocity is truly a great flyer.
Oh and don't forget to pin your tail case on your N1 and your N2 ... I'm not talking that joke of a dimple screw they provide either ... drill and pin your tail case!!! Or you'll get to witness a funky auto like I did today. Not to bad though ... eight flights and let see ... Align ball links, Align balls, Align starter shaft, Align OWB and in my new order ... tail boom, torque tube, skids and pipes,tail rotor shaft assembly, tail blades and don't forget main blades! Ya i agree it fly's well as long as you can start it and if the tail don't go south on you or the gears or the .... My Trex 600n does not collect dust ... it's reliable and a great flyer as well! And it's on it's third season .... ZERO issues! Hey I'm not complaining here ... I'm just Saying

"In good spirit" ... heck ya ... I'm not about to jump in front of a train over it
LegndarySaiyan I'm glad you're having good luck with your Velo ... just don't fly to close to yourself

Cheers
Mike
MikeKimC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs down

I have seen Mike's outrage heli's spend more time being fixed then flying! I was standing right beside him today when his velo went on its piroutte of death mode!!!

I dont own a nitro heli yet but its next on my list and i can gaurantee in my heli hanger their will never be one of these pieces of JUNK!!!!

I know Mike will address all the issues with this heli, its just to bad his product testing is taking a chunk out of his bank account!

It will be rebuilt and i know it will fly great again and be safer!!

Outrage definately lost a potential customer!

cheers Keith
heli-insane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just an update, the sound I was hearing was due to a low battery in the align starter. All is well, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praztek View Post
while i'm waiting for parts, just got back from flying, and the sound on mine really seems to be coming from the align super starter " black and yellow ", will do some searching on this.
Praztek is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In the manual, it says "use lite oil periodically" on the OWB.. What kind of oil do you guys use? Triflow?
gfcused is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Triflow oil or the red grease is what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfcused View Post
In the manual, it says "use lite oil periodically" on the OWB.. What kind of oil do you guys use? Triflow?
Praztek is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Triflow is good or 3 in1 oil ... But KDE says to grease their OWB ... and I've also been told not to grease them but to oil them so IDK ... I say get the ABEC bearing when it's time to replace it ... and be done with it ... my Trex has over 100 flights on it and I had no issues with the one way .... yet!

Cheers
Mike
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was thinking about using Triflow, but then I thought grease might last longer?

So you recommend Triflow over grease then?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

If outrage says light oil ... then I'd say ya ... TriFlow is pretty damm good!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKimC View Post
If outrage says light oil ... then I'd say ya ... TriFlow is pretty damm good!
I didn't want to take any chances, so I went with TriFlow.. Lots of it!
So I installed the replacement parts Outrage sent me and it seems to be working fine now.. We will see how long it last..

Really sorry to hear about your mishap today.. Did you total it, or did you auto it to safty?

BTW: It surprices me that none of the Outrage reps take interest in this thread..
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I didn't want to take any chances, so I went with TriFlow.. Lots of it!
So I installed the replacement parts Outrage sent me and it seems to be working fine now.. We will see how long it last..

Really sorry to hear about your mishap today.. Did you total it, or did you auto it to safty?

BTW: It surprices me that none of the Outrage reps take interest in this thread..
Thanks for the kind words! No the damage is minimal, torque tube, boom, skids, gear, blades ... still $170.00 worth of damage. I was not able to auto because the tail case (this was my N1 BTW) turned 90 degrees up towards the sky. I hit throttle hold but it came down in a funky angle. Reps are sponsored ... correct? Do you think they will ever admit to having issues with the product that supports they're addiction? Not a chance! All you read and hear from them is "OH that's odd ... we never seen that happen before" or " I been flying the Velocity for 35 years and I have 100000 flights without an issue" This one gets under my skin "you must of not assembled it properly" . I'd rather NOT hear from them!!! But HEY the boxes they come in are sure pretty

Cheers
Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've read this thread but have not replied because I don't have a n2 yet, nor have I had the starter shaft bearing slip or lockup on me. I have had my tail case turn on me, but I was lucky enough to get it back on the ground without incident. This happened in the winter so I chalked it up to the metals shrinking at different rates. Once the tail rotated on me I placed a washer under the head of the bolt that pinches the tail case to increase the tension. There was a thread some time ago warning about the tail case turning. The current pinning method in the Fusion 50 and the n2 has proven effective on my Fusion 50 which is powered with a 4035-560 on 12s. In comparison to Align; Outrage is a young company and needs to be given a fair opportunity to address all growing pains. I lived through Align's when the 600 CF first came out, when the 600 nitro sport first came out, ect... As of late there has been several complaints in the forums about part fitment, bolts without threads, ball links without threads ect... I can assure you that Outrage RC is currently in the process of making extensive changes to ensure that it's quality control matches it's outstanding customer service and innovative designs. Yes I am a rep, and I try to assist whenever I can, but if I haven't experienced a problem I'd rather not comment at all.
p00rboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00rboi View Post
In comparison to Align; Outrage is a young company and needs to be given a fair opportunity to address all growing pains. I lived through Align's when the 600 CF first came out, when the 600 nitro sport first came out, ect... As of late there has been several complaints in the forums about part fitment, bolts without threads, ball links without threads ect... I can assure you that Outrage RC is currently in the process of making extensive changes to ensure that it's quality control matches it's outstanding customer service and innovative designs. Yes I am a rep, and I try to assist whenever I can, but if I haven't experienced a problem I'd rather not comment at all.
You make some good points here.. I will keep my N2 this season, and see how it performs and how Outrage handles the issues with it.. I love the "looks" and how it flies, it's just a real show stopper when you're at the field and it wont start
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've read this thread but have not replied because I don't have a n2 yet, nor have I had the starter shaft bearing slip or lockup on me. I have had my tail case turn on me, but I was lucky enough to get it back on the ground without incident. This happened in the winter so I chalked it up to the metals shrinking at different rates. Once the tail rotated on me I placed a washer under the head of the bolt that pinches the tail case to increase the tension. There was a thread some time ago warning about the tail case turning. The current pinning method in the Fusion 50 and the n2 has proven effective on my Fusion 50 which is powered with a 4035-560 on 12s. In comparison to Align; Outrage is a young company and needs to be given a fair opportunity to address all growing pains. I lived through Align's when the 600 CF first came out, when the 600 nitro sport first came out, ect... As of late there has been several complaints in the forums about part fitment, bolts without threads, ball links without threads ect... I can assure you that Outrage RC is currently in the process of making extensive changes to ensure that it's quality control matches it's outstanding customer service and innovative designs. Yes I am a rep, and I try to assist whenever I can, but if I haven't experienced a problem I'd rather not comment at all.

Ok so what your telling me is that If YOU didn't experience the problem that I and others have then you would rather turn a blind eye to it ... correct? I've dealt with Outrage in the past (last year) over a couple of mufflers that the baffles let go in them and the experience was AWESOME! So I have to agree with you that there support WAS outstanding and that's why I decide that Outrage was the company that I wanted to spend my hard earn on. So I purchased two heli's ... One for myself (N2) and one for my 16 year old son (N1). Outstanding is not what I would describe this time though. An email was sent to support and they basically blew it off. Ok ... Thanks for showing interest ... I'm done with you and your company. But I'm not done giving out bad reviews! The way I look at it ... I paid for the right!

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never said that I would turn a blind eye to anything, however if I cannot point you in the right direction to correct your problem then I prefer not to comment at all. I'm not sure who you e-mailed, but if you still need customer assistance with any issues, I would point you in the direction of Larry at Helidirect or Greg at Prestige-Rc.
p00rboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I never said that I would turn a blind eye to anything, however if I cannot point you in the right direction to correct your problem then I prefer not to comment at all. I'm not sure who you e-mailed, but if you still need customer assistance with any issues, I would point you in the direction of Larry at Helidirect or Greg at Prestige-Rc.
It's Greg at Prestige that I dealt with last year over my pipe issues ... Great guy! But Customer assistance was already tried and failed on these issues. So I bought my parts to repair my V1 ... I dealt with the OWB issues in my own way ... I've pinned My N2 tail case PROPERLY (not with the dimple screw provided but drilled through the boom , tapped and secured with a longer 3mm screw) I also pinned my boom to the front boom mount assembly as my boom was also twisting in that mount as well! the ball and ball links issue was taken care by ME! I sucked up the missing tail blades that were NOT included in my kit like they were suppose to be. I sucked up the crappy canopy provided by OUTRAGE!

The V1 will be pinned front and back like it should have been from the factory the OWB and starter shaft issue is taken care of by me ... the ball and ball links issue was taken care by ME ... SO NO I don't need contacts. If your company gave a rats ass the first time they where contacted ... they would have addressed it. I'm not going to beg for someone to listen to me. But I will also not recommend any Outrage products to anyone ... ever ... not even a canopy grommet!
Thanks anyway!!!

Cheers
Mike
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it's safe to say that you're not an Outrage fanboy, MIke
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that you're not an Outrage fanboy, MIke
What gives you that impression???
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Went to the field yesterday with brand new starter shaft, OWB and clucht.. Worked GREAT!! At least the three first flight Then the startershaft started slipping and finally the starter shaft got stuck in the clutchbell/pinion..

I'm buying the Align UPGRADES!!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hate to say this but I told you so :p

With my Align UP grades (Balls/Ball links,Starter Shaft) plus pinning the boom mounts and tail cases on both my Velocity N1 and N2 ... I'd like to say this! My views on these two machines have changed somewhat. The Helis have been problem free and are great flyers. I just wish that I would have known these issues before I put the N1 in the ground! Would I recommend Outrage helis ... sure as long as you follow these simple mods ... Yeah they are great performers!

BTW the canopy grommets are working out as well ... no failures :p

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop52.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	315055   Click image for larger version

Name:	crop64.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	315056   Click image for larger version

Name:	crop39.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	315057  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKimC View Post
Hate to say this but I told you so :p
I know, I know..

BTW: Do you think the OWB is crap, or is it's possible that the crap starter shaft causes the OWB to slip? My local hobby store has the Align starter shaft and bearing in stock so I can get it to morrow, but I have to order the OWB you recommended online.. And that can take a little while..

Good looking bird you got there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.