Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default MCPX AS A CP TRAINER

MCPX is not a good helicopter, MCPX is a great helicopter to learn on, your going to love it!
If you don't believe me ask anyone that flies one! From this point on put aside all those horror stories you have ever heard about this wonderful little machine. With the DX6i radio setup provided later in this document and a little information before hand you will be flying MCPX in short order and loving every minute of it!

Coming from any coaxial or fixed pitch helicopter like MSR or 120SR you will need to understand the difference in the way MCPX will fly.

If it is your intent to use MCPX as a CP Trainer the first thing you will need is a DX6i or equivalent TX so you can calm the helicopter down sufficiently.

MCPX is a super high performance 3D helicopter and it behaves like one when set up correctly and the radio is programed as per the manual for 3D flying, but MCPX can easily be calmed right down and is a joy to fly!

MCPX is also a Fly bar less helicopter and will not correct itself. Not ever! The helicopter will hold what ever attitude you input on your radio.

If you input just a little forward then let the stick centre the helicopter will fly forward until it runs into something or you tilt it back a bit to stop it's forward flight then level it out in hover. The aileron and elevator respond the same, you need to be aware of this. You must counteract every command and be very precise in order to hover MCPX or it will slide all over the place on you.

The first thing you will notice about MCPX when you spool it up is it's head speed.
Don't let it bother you! All collective pitch helicopters have much higher head speeds than fixed pitch helicopters.
You will get used to it!

Also bring the power on slowly! MCPX has a lot of power and will spin if you crank on the power before the tail rotor gets up to speed!

Take off
When taking MCPX off. The helicopter needs to be flown off the ground. As you increase power you will be able to see the helicopters attitude changing. If it wants to lean, very gently correct it's attitude with aileron or elevator input as needed to make the helicopter straight up and down before adding take off power.

In actuality, when lifting MCPX off the ground. In order to make the helicopter lift straight up you will need to power up. Make the helicopter straight up and down as above and just as it begins to lift ever so gently touch right aileron and lift the left skid about 1/8 of an inch off the ground then add takeoff power and lift the helicopter into the air.

As with any helicopter with a tail rotor .
MCPX needs to lean right a little to achieve a stationary hover!

It is paramount that you have control the tail of this helicopter before lifting the helicopter off the ground.
Keep that nose pointed straight ahead while spooling up!

When you lift the helicopter. If the nose of the helicopter turns ether way you must bring it back straight ahead or you will quickly loose control of the helicopter!

If MCPX has the slightest lean in any direction, that is the direction the helicopter is going to go!
There is no fly bar to help stabilize this helicopter in hover!

If the helicopter goes anywhere but straight up 6 inches nose straight ahead. Immediately power down and start again!

Do this again and again until you get the feel for it and your helicopter climbs straight up.
About 6 inches off the floor. Power down and do it again and again until it feels natural.

It is up to the person piloting the helicopter to correct it's attitude and it's drift. ALWAYS!!!!!

The reduced input settings I have at the end of this document for DX6i radio will tame MCPX to a point it will hover for even the newest pilots but I highly suggest you get a little simulator time so you have some idea what to expect. Even an hour playing with the a simulator at your local hobby shop will help you in a rely big way.

HOVERING MCPX
Once off the ground stable at 6inches, add a little more power and climb the helicopter 3' off the floor.
Directly in front of you. Keep that nose pointed straight ahead, tail pointed at you all the time!
If you feel the helicopter is getting away from you at any time. Chop the power land and start again.
MCPX responds quickly to aileron and elevator input and accelerates very quickly so don't let it get away on you.
Dropping it from 3' onto carpet with the power off will not hurt the helicopter, running into something hard at high speed will!

Don't worry your helicopter is pretty tough and will take quite a bit of punishment but make every effort not to run into things with the power on. Either chop the throttle or hit the throttle hold switch and shut down the motor before the helicopter hits the ground or anything else.

At this point your sole objective is. Gently lift your helicopter off the floor, climb 3 feet in the air and keep the helicopter somewhat stable tail in. That's all

No more than 3' off the ground, 10 or 15 seconds then land the helicopter and breath again.
Do this 20 or 30 100 times what ever it takes to get comfortable with the helicopter.

When you are comfortable climb to 6 feet, hover a few seconds, decrease power and land.

Relax the helicopter feels and flies the same at 6' as it does at 3'. Just go easy changing power settings.

You will find it takes more power to climb than hold at 6' so reduce a little power and the helicopter will stop climbing for you! Go easy!

The same goes with descending. Reduce power enough that the helicopter ever so slowly descends.
Add just a little power at 12" stop it's descent, then gentle as you can set it on the ground!

When you can do this without the helicopter getting away on you move the helicopter forward
a few feet and stop it. Hover then back it up and hover again. Reduce power and land.

Take off Climb to 6 feet hover then move left a few feet slowly stop it and hover.
Move the helicopter back to the right and hover in front of you. Now move it right a few feet and hover.
Always tail in. Bring it back in front of you hover power down and land softly.

Once you are comfortable moving the helicopter around a bit. Take off and assume hover.
Now rotate the helicopter from a nose position of 12 o'clock to one o'clock and hold the hover a few seconds then back to 12 o'clock. Then turn the nose left to 11 o'clock position and hold the hover a few seconds. Back to 12 o'clock and move ahead 10 feet hover and back hover. Do this for a week!

Then increase the nose position right 2 o'clock left 10 o'clock for a week then 3-9 for a week.

The most important part of this exercise is your patients and your willingness to practice takeoffs landings and hovering night after night until you can fly the helicopter without thinking about it.

No matter what you do, you will start out every flight taking off, hovering and you will end your flight hovering and landing. You may as well resign yourself to learning how to take off hover and land and do them very well.

After a few weeks practice you will be able to take the helicopter off hover when ever you want.
Fly it forward backward even hover with the nose at 9,10,11, 12 1,2 ,3 o'clock.

Now that you can move the helicopter around. Hover rotate the helicopter sideways and not loose control of it it's time to discuss turns.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze6ScJhubQA[/ame]

If you are able to do bank turns with your MSR,120SR or other FP heli, fly MCPX exactly the same!
MCPX has a very good tail gyro and turns both ways very well.

Just remember, level your wings at the end of the turn!

Always remember when you bank MCPX it drops it's nose and accelerates very quickly.
Be prepared with a little up elevator to hold the nose from dipping and stop the helicopter zooming off out of control.
When you bank, push the tail around and pull back on the elevator to control forward speed!

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 04-28-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Imzzaudae is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Training Gear

Has anyone found training gear to helpful with the mCPX? This is my first CP heli.
BrettOssman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Hello

I have recently posted an update. Including DX4e radio and a few other tips.
MCPX links for newbies ( Update )
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=448094

I do not know of training gear for MCPX. Do you have a simulator?
Simulator experience of any kind?
Other helicopter experience?
What radio will you be using?

If you have a little helicopter experience and read my posts about taking off and hovering MCPX you will not need training gear.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty good writeup, Imzzaudae, but I would change one thing.

I do not recommend that someone learn on this by flying INSIDE.

I do not fly this one inside at all. I do enough damage with the mSR and mCX2 flying inside, but this one is just too powerful.
Matt L is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
I have recently posted an update. Including DX4e radio and a few other tips.
MCPX links for newbies ( Update )
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=448094

I do not know of training gear for MCPX. Do you have a simulator?
Simulator experience of any kind?
Other helicopter experience?
What radio will you be using?

If you have a little helicopter experience and read my posts about taking off and hovering MCPX you will not need training gear.
Thanks for the reply.
  • Been practicing 500 size CP on Phoenix, but no expert by any means
  • I started with an mCX2 and gotten fairly proficient with it
  • Also been learning an mQX quad, mainly for outdoors. Doesn't seem to be breeze tolerant, but maybe that is my inexperience.
  • I am using a Spektrum Dx6i transmitter
  • I do have training gear attached to the mCPx, but wondering if I really need it
I'm using the mCPX2 to learn CP
Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The training gear will help prevent flipping the heli when you take off. I expect that you won't want it on for long.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Taining gear on a mcpx??? No way, just lift it off and go... I dont see any reason for training gear in a mcpx. Even with my 450 i thought it made it harder to fky
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just my .02 as someone learning and using the mcpx as his trainer:

X2 everything imzzaudie wrote. I used his settings a few months ago when i first got the mcpx and they are fabulous! Well thought out and helped me gain the nessary skills and confidance. Highly recomend them.

As for inside flying with the mcpx: its all i do. I fly in my basement where its fairly open and im alone, but its really only 10x10 or something close. It can be done, although a basement is probly better than an area thats finished living space. I do agree there could be some risk of damage to drywall (knicks and scrapes) that wives may not tke kindly too.

Lastly, i havent used landing gear and wouldnt recomend it. Of all the potential crashes and hits you'll do (and we all do and will) thats the easiest to avoid and the training gear alter the flight charactisics so you'll have some adjustments to make once they come off again anyway. The settings imz'i recomended really tame it down as it is.

Above all: keep flying! You will get it. Its not impossible and its a lot of fun.... Charge'em up and get some stick time
Ratvader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm more worried about hitting LCD screens and hanging lamps inside. A basement would be OK, but not really my basement (low ceiling). The garage is pretty good if I pull the cars out. Don't want to hit one of them either.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hi Matt

I do understand your hesitance to fly MCPX indoors. It is a powerful little beast!

But to tell you the truth, a week after buying MCPX2 I sold my 120SR and one of my MSRs. It was winter time here in south western ontario so indoors was my only option.
It took me months of practicing takeoffs, hovering and moving MCPX around in normal mode before I was able to do much flying around but it is posable. You must be very carful not to let the helicopter get ahead of you. As I stated do not let the nose drop when you turn it or it will be imbedded in a wall at the other end of the room. Care must also be taken that one does not let the helicopter fall off the top! This can also be exiting to say the least.

You must understand that I flew MCX2, CX2 then 120SR MSR for a year. Then spent literally hundreds of hours flying every helicopter in Real Flight flight simulator and still practice 1/2 hour pretty much every evening on the simulator as well as fly MCPX, and my B450 daily!

Today I fly my MCPX indoors in normal mode at 40% like it's an MSR but without the fly bar problems.
Actually I had my backup MSR out a week ago.
Don' know how I ever flew it.

Then I push a few buttons on my DX6i and tear holes in the sky at the park!

It does not happen over night, And no it was not easy. But it can happen if you set your mind to it.

For the most part there is a wealth of grate information on helifreak. Unfortunately it can be a little hard to find if you do not know just what to look for. This is the reason I set out to share my experiences learning how to fly MCPX.
And share my beginners settings and as much information as I can with anyone that wants to begin flying this wonderful little helicopter.

Oh ya, everything in my house has marks where my MCPX crashed into it!

BRET.
Fly them all so you just react automatically to how the helicopters fly.
Above all else have fun learning, thats what this is all about.

Ron
Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I think the training gear might be throwing me off as well. The take off, and tweak right cyclic doesn't seem to work with the gear. I'll take it off and give it a go.

Thanks agin all, good stuff.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm with you on the mSR. I took its board out the other day and put it in a mCX2, as I actually like flying those, and the mSR servos are much faster. Unfortunately, the tail circuit does not work properly for the top rotor. I have yet to reassemble the mSR.

My house isn't really small, but it's very old and does not have large rooms. High ceilings, but most of them have hanging lamps or fans. And all of them have furniture in the way. The mCPX has always been too much for me inside my house.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

My mCPX2 yaws clockwise both before take off and upon landing. Is that normal behavior?

Oh by the way, it seems OK once in the air. A LITTLE yaw, but I realize they don't sit still.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hi Brett

On take off it is normal for you to have to watch the tail very closely and help the tail a little until the helicopter is actually flying. Then let the gyro take over!

Once in the air the tail should hold very well. If you find it is yawing.
A click or 2 of rudder trim should fix it. Take care that the tail drift is not pilot induced buy you
inadvertently giving it rudder when moving the collective! I had that problem at first!

Once on the ground it is normal for the tail to loose it a bit as you power down the helicopter. There is a lot of drag when you shut the power off. the heli is pretty light and the skids are slippery.

Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

With AS3X, sub-trim is better than trim for centering the controls, on transmitters that have such a distinction. Sub-trim shifts the entire range of the control, whereas trim shifts the center while leaving the end-points the same, resulting in more throw to one side than the other.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just got my first mcpx v1 i have flown the msr and love my sr120 but wanted to learn the mcpx is the dx6i transmitter the best to use for the mcpx all i have is the blade sr hp6dsm transmitter and i have used this for all my gelis all i fly is eflite i love them i now have about 7 of them anyway should i get the dx6i spectrum transmitter
joebintz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hi

This is one question I do not have an answer for Joe.
Check back and I will find out k.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Great Thread!! very helpful!!!
PropStrike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info here!
Cch1978 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trainer

I learned to fly CP with a mCPx. This was my first RC Heli, I bought a RTF version with the DX4e transmitter. It went O.K. for a while until I got a better TX (DX6i), that made all the difference. Now I could set everything according to my needs without a crash costing mega $.

The best combo to learn flying CP helis, according to me, is a mCPx(BNF) and a DX6i. Not only will the flying be easier but the student will be forced to learn about pitch and throttle curves, D/R and Expo and travel adjust. Things I never new existed with the DX4e.
SnakesSA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in