Goblin: Scorpoin vs Quantum...? - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by snemi00 View Post
The Quantums came in today so I went to go check them out. We took a few shots to compare them to the 700MX and Scorpion 4035. Wish there was a 4525LE or ultimate to compare to but I don't have one and he didn't have any in stock.
I've been using the 700MX 530kv up until now and it is plenty powerful, great bang for the buck. I picked up the Quantum 4135-530 to try out and compare this weekend if the weather cooperates.
just wondering why the 4135? the one HD is recommending for the gob is the big one.
Goblin 700, Goblin 630, Goblin 500
CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want to compare it to the 700MX as a kind of apples to apples comparison. With the 700MX 530 and vbar gov the heli feels plenty powerful, so I'd like to see how this Quantum "equivalent" so to speak compares.
The big one, 4530, is in another league and I'm just not looking for that much power in my setup right now. I'm sure we'll get plenty of opinions on that motor soon enough now that they're here.
Plus I'm using some old packs that would not do that motor justice right now. The new Gens Ace are in transit though, they should be in stock by next week.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by snemi00 View Post
I want to compare it to the 700MX as a kind of apples to apples comparison. With the 700MX 530 and vbar gov the heli feels plenty powerful, so I'd like to see how this Quantum "equivalent" so to speak compares.
The big one, 4530, is in another league and I'm just not looking for that much power in my setup right now. I'm sure we'll get plenty of opinions on that motor soon enough now that they're here.
Plus I'm using some old packs that would not do that motor justice right now. The new Gens Ace are in transit though, they should be in stock by next week.
I think this is a great test as the smaller Quantum seems very comparable to both the 700MX and the Scorpion 4035-500 (which many love and use). I'm deliberating these motors choices as well for my Goblin....
fstclyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Had an ESC failure before any testing happened. So my backup Castle is in the heli now. Hard to compare the 2 motors with the worse governor performance on the planet. Or maybe it's better to compare that way? Hope to get some flights in soon and finally do the comparison. Sorry for the delays. I know you guys are anxious to hear from someone that has tried both in the same model and with the same exact setup.
Sorry to hear you ESC smoked. Although I am interested in hearing how the Quantum works with the Castle (as that is is the one I ordered). Castle firmware v4.01 is much better & hopefully CC VBar compatible mode should be out shortly.
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Sorry to hear you ESC smoked. Although I am interested in hearing how the Quantum works with the Castle (as that is is the one I ordered). Castle firmware v4.01 is much better & hopefully CC VBar compatible mode should be out shortly.
I upgraded it to 4.01. But I still hear of cut-offs caused by 4.xx. So I'm not terribly excited about trying the new firmware. We'll see how it goes.
OnTheSnap is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I upgraded it to 4.01. But I still hear of cut-offs caused by 4.xx. So I'm not terribly excited about trying the new firmware. We'll see how it goes.
FWIW I upgraded the following to v4.01 and they all work good

Phoenix 80 (bump up the motor starting power)
HV 85
HV ICE 80
HV 110

ordered the CC HV ICE 120 & Quantum 4530

The Helidirect Tech is flying the Goblin, HV ICE & Quantum 4530 but I do not know what firmware he is using.
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I had cutouts on 4.00 and also on 4.01, rolled back to 3.27 both times. I am really close to selling my 120HV ICE2 as they still can't get a setup that will work with the Vbar Gov.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
I had cutouts on 4.00 and also on 4.01, rolled back to 3.27 both times. I am really close to selling my 120HV ICE2 as they still can't get a setup that will work with the Vbar Gov.

//Dennis.
Momentary power loss or a complete cut off?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstclyz View Post
I think this is a great test as the smaller Quantum seems very comparable to both the 700MX and the Scorpion 4035-500 (which many love and use). I'm deliberating these motors choices as well for my Goblin....
Yeh thats cool its just that a lot of people are now using those motors in 600E 12S setups like my Fusion.so its almsot as if the 4035-500 is now a 600 class motor these days.

for the big 700 Gobber want that real 700 class power available ( cant have my Fusion whooping up on it haha)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Curtis Youngblood was flying the latest 4.x firmware last week on his ENV and Ballistic.. not 1 issue and he flies them super hard. using HV 160s
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeveeSiN View Post
Curtis Youngblood was flying the latest 4.x firmware last week on his ENV and Ballistic.. not 1 issue and he flies them super hard. using HV 160s
I stopped using pros as a benchmark a long time ago. Too small a sample base and you generally don't hear the bad since they have a responsibility to their company/sponsors. Although in person you can often hear the real deal.

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 04-19-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I stopped using pros as a benchmark a long time ago. Too small a sample base and you generally don't hear the bad since they have a responsibility to their company/sponsors.
Yah but at the same time its hard to hide a failure at show center... Also I do not beleive CY is affiliated with CC.. he chooses to fly them. just FYI.

like the Gaui Pilot whose x7 smoked that Scorp at show center during the same weekend..
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yah but at the same time its hard to hide a failure at show center... Also I do not beleive CY is affiliated with CC.. he chooses to fly them. just FYI.

like the Gaui Pilot whose x7 smoked that Scorp at show center during the same weekend..
You need a large sample of varied setups before things like this will show up though. Just because it works fine for his setup doesn't mean it will be fine for yours...
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Do you know if CY is using a cap pack on his helis? Just curious.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a cap pack on my Castle 120HV ICE2 even though the cables are relatively short. Not required, but the reduction in ripple makes it one less thing to worry about.

Flew with the Castle on 4.01 with the 4525-520. It felt really good. Not close to vBar gov, but adequate. Motor was scorching hot after the flight.

Dropping the Quantum 4530 back in tonight to compare. Note that I use a 22T with the 4525. Will be using a 23T with the Q4530.

I forgot to clear the Castle log, as I really wanted data to compare the two on a typical flight. So I will only have the graphs from the Q unfortunately. Should still be interesting to see the peak current.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Medium or big Quantum .... hmmmm I would also like to try the new compass motor at some point this summer too.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just bought a Quantum 4135 for my future Goblin. I just love the 4125 in my Fusion so I clicked submit order. I am not one that needs tons of power.
Slyster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Momentary power loss or a complete cut off?
Just momentary loss, it looks like a governor control fault as the logs show the ESC is reducing the input throttle and commanding it to drive the motor slower.

//Dennis

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my Quantum 4135. Pretty motor! I might have to try it out on my Fusion 50
Slyster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Onthesnap where you able to compare?
weru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.