Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Pinions

Yesterday I was going to show off my little hobby to my friend from afar and with my luck both birds was down because of motor issue. My hp07 had its pinion slipped. My M5 motor shaft snapped and off it went with the pinion into outerspace.

I decided it's time to revisit 8T. I've bought 2 8T 1.5mm bore pinions from Astroid some time ago but have never used them since I didn't have a gear puller to pull the existing 9T on my hp05s or hp07 to try out the 8Ts. There's no better time than now when the hp07 pinion is loose. I also take the time to remove the 9T from my hp05s sitting on the shelf (need to replace the worn pinion anyways). I realize that without a gear puller I can just wrap the pinion with layers of cardboard (like the cardboard label that comes with Blade replacement parts) and grip it with a pair of pliers and twist the motor end-bell to break the glue. I just CA'ed the 8T 1.5mm bore pinion onto the hp05s and tested spinning up fine. Weather is not good so flying test comes later.

While trying to put on the 8T 1.5mm bore onto my hp07, I had it sitting a bit too high so once again I tried to twist it off and retry. Unfortunately, there's so little metal between teeth that the pinion broke. I had a good few layers of cardboard wrapping the pinion and I wasn't even trying hard. I don't think 8T 1.5mm bore can handle hp07 and up so I put back 9T on the hp07.

While on the topc of pinions, I find it actually quite easy to remove pinions from stock motors. I use a wire-crimping tool to hold the motor shaft without pinion passing thru'. Put the tool on a vise on a drill press. Install a correct size drill bit upside down and just press out the pinion easy.

Here's a pic of the disintegrated 8T and the worn-out 9T from my hp05s after about 120 flights. I'm surprised it wears out so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6489Pinions.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	306962  
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A little bit of heat goes a long way Breaks bonds and expands enough for gears to be removed without stress.
Roffey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't tried the glue on ones but I have been installing mine with a pair of channel locks. I used to make the trip out to the garage so I could use the vise but now I have some heat shrink over the ends of a old pair of channel locks and it works great.
new bee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I crushed one of the 8T pinions between my fingers also by accident, glad I bought 2 they are very delicate. I did get the second one on my spin 16300 and it's working well so far even through a few crashes.
khogan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

After great success with my BLHeli-flashed double-FET DP3A ESC with my hp07 (hp06v2) setup, I decided to try it with my hp05s 8T setup. It actually flies really good. I governed headspeed with 70% throttle (about 5400rpm) which is enough to do lazy tic-tocs. With the 70% throttle signal to the 3-in-1 board, tail mix for the 120SR tail motor is not too much even for the lower power main motor (compare to hp07) so I get no CW-1/4-kick even with fast backward flight rotating CW into forward flight. With 100% throttle before BLHeli code, tail mix was too much and I always got CW-1/4-kick with that maneuver. Flight time with Hyperion 550 is a conservative 7 minutes. It gives a relaxed flight to try out new maneuver while having enough power to bail out and doing tic-tocs. This is going to be my new favorite trainer setup for my 2nd bird to replace my c05m/8T/stock-tail setup.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
... since I didn't have a gear puller ...
I bent the shaft of my C05, heres what I hacked together to remove the pinion. The bit which presses on the shaft is actually a cut down nail which I CAd to the screw. This was a 8T 1mm pinion which was glued on. I heated it with a lighter, shielding the motor cables with a piece of scrap metal, then put it in the puller.

Since the 1mm shafts bend easily I cut down a 1,5 mm drill bit to replace it. The 8T 1,5mm sure looks fragile. Im happy that mine went on the right place first time.

Cheers
Dr Dremel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100642_sm.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	310256  
dr dremel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Continue discussion of 8T vs 9T from this post here...

To get the same governed headspeed, a 8T instead of 9T will require a higher throttle value and because of the higher torque from shorter gearing, both these facgtors result in less likely occurrence of a big power surge from governor operation. And even though 8T requires a higher throttle to maintain same headspeed with a 9T, the better torque advantage and higher efficiency running closer to 100% throttle still makes 8T less power consuming. It's a win-win. I'm in the process of making a custom shaft for my hp07 motor to run 8T and you'll sure hear from me.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Continue discussion of 8T vs 9T from this post here...

To get the same governed headspeed, a 8T instead of 9T will require a higher throttle value and because of the higher torque from shorter gearing, both these facgtors result in less likely occurrence of a big power surge from governor operation. And even though 8T requires a higher throttle to maintain same headspeed with a 9T, the better torque advantage and higher efficiency running closer to 100% throttle still makes 8T less power consuming. It's a win-win. I'm in the process of making a custom shaft for my hp07 motor to run 8T and you'll sure hear from me.
I received a 8T 1.5mm pinon from Asteroid, but I just looked at this thing and it's amazingly paper thin at the gear sections. It looks like it will break by breathing on it. Do I dare try to install this thing, seems like it will break the first time I throttle up, is this normal for an 8T to be so thin?
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoE View Post
I received a 8T 1.5mm pinon from Asteroid, but I just looked at this thing and it's amazingly paper thin at the gear sections. It looks like it will break by breathing on it. Do I dare try to install this thing, seems like it will break the first time I throttle up, is this normal for an 8T to be so thin?
Yes, the only way for that pinion to work is as a glue on with Locktite. They are really cheating to get a M0.3 8T pinion with 1.5mm hole. The stock 8T pinion fits a 1mm shaft and it is plenty strong. I actually reduced my HP05 1.5mm shafts down to 1mm to use stronger 8T pinions with 1mm hole.

YMMV, Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My hp05s with 8T 1.5mm bore from Astroid Design still flies fine. I use CA instead of green loctite. If I crash and slow down the 8T too fast I hope the CA break instead of the pinion. I won't hold my breath for it though. That's why I'm working on a custom shaft to run my stock 1mm bore 8Ts on my hp07s.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used CA also, and one of my recent crashes the CA did break and the pinion came loose so I just CAed it back on. Still working fine. Running spin 16300kv
khogan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use red loktite and size all my pinions for a slip fit. When they need to be removed I heat the shaft with a soldering iron until I see the plume of smoke from the loktite going liquid again...then use a puller.

The amount of force to break one of these 1.5mm 8T by the torque force of the main gear...well it's very unlikely. Far more likely to lose it if it comes unstuck or break it with improper handling.

Amp
Ampdraw is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
I use red loktite and size all my pinions for a slip fit. When they need to be removed I heat the shaft with a soldering iron until I see the plume of smoke from the loktite going liquid again...then use a puller.

The amount of force to break one of these 1.5mm 8T by the torque force of the main gear...well it's very unlikely. Far more likely to lose it if it comes unstuck or break it with improper handling.

Amp
This one was broken in-flight but perhaps it was drilled out a bit too much to begin with.

You're probably right that once a 1.5mm 8T stays on it won't break from torque force or crash. Mine broke because I twisted it too hard during installation. CA actually works very well securing pinions. I have had CA broke loose but it was because I over-oiled the motor bearings and after many flights the Tri-Flow worked its way in between pinion and shaft. The same reason Tri-Flow has broken loose the original loctite on my c05m motor and my hp07. So even the right loctite is still susceptible to breaking loose by Tri-Flow.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never could get my 8T pinion to mesh nicely on my HP05, then again I got it from that danish site rather than Astroid. It always ran like the mesh was too tight on 8T, 9T meshed beautifully so I stuck with that. I am using just the stock frame tho, maybe that's why?

I'm gonna have to try 8T again, I always believed in more torque/more consistend headspeed vs. higher peak headspeed. Especially with BLHeli now, this should be nice.
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am unlucky with 8T on 1.5mm, broke 4 pinions in a couple of days All were loctite with 648.

Whats the best/easy way to reduce the motor shaft from 1.5 --> 1.0mm, with home tools?

BLHeli with locator beacon now!
honkytown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytown View Post
I am unlucky with 8T on 1.5mm, broke 4 pinions in a couple of days All were loctite with 648.

Whats the best/easy way to reduce the motor shaft from 1.5 --> 1.0mm, with home tools?
Use your home computer as a tool to order a shaft from Asteroid.
Hydros27 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros27 View Post
Use your home computer as a tool to order a shaft from Asteroid.
Thanks, i know he sells them, still need an idea/advice how to do it safely. HP06V2 shaft isn't even available and HP05 shaft is sold out.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naito View Post
I never could get my 8T pinion to mesh nicely on my HP05, then again I got it from that danish site rather than Astroid. It always ran like the mesh was too tight on 8T, 9T meshed beautifully so I stuck with that. I am using just the stock frame tho, maybe that's why?
I run stock frame with my hp05s/8T also. I'm confused as to why you say 8T meshes too tight but 9T mesh good. If 8T meshes tight, 9T will mesh even tighter. Since stock motor runs 8T, hp05s/8T should be the easiest to mesh because you don't need to elongate the motor screw holes on the frame when you do 9T. I haven't changed my hp07 to 8T yet but that will take a bit more work because hp07 has a bigger diameter endbell and I'll need to take more plastic out of the right servo lower mount post and mainshaft housing on the stock frame.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytown View Post

Did those break mid-flight or during installation? What motor are you running?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Did those break mid-flight or during installation? What motor are you running?
The second one broke midflight, after 3 batteries, the others broke on the first flight/start...got them from 3 different sources to sort bad quality out. I know many use them without a hassle with even stronger motors as my hp05s, looks like i just unlucky or repeating the same error again. I glued all with loctite 648, cleaned everything and waited 12-24 hours before flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in