Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can you really " feel" the difference?

I'm wondering can you really feel the difference between a un-expensive and expensive brand?

I'm talking about airframe. Let's start from there should we?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qffmpo
Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk
Nitros83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good God YESS!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

besides build quality and ease of maintanance a good airframe will make a diffrence in flight because of weight distribution, geometry, vibration (or lack off),gearing and so on...
There's ony so much you can compensate with good electronics. Offcoarse the same is also true the other way around.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are you really say guy can tell, blindfolded, can tell the difference, let's say, between align and mikado?

I'm just deciding to sell my logo for a trex.

Ps I'm a beginner

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1ikzz2
Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk
Nitros83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitros83 View Post
Are you really say guy can tell, blindfolded, can tell the difference, let's say, between align and mikado?

Ps I'm a beginner

---
Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk
NO, never,ever sell a logo for a trex, don't even think about it
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As an uber noob... if you're barely hovering... you might notice a little bit.

When you get to the progressions of the hobby, and stuff starts to click, absolutely yes you can tell.

I started with a HKT500 (Trex 500 clone) and when I first started I thought it was just the "bees knees" - Then I started switching everything over to Align. My goodness what a difference.

Then I got the Outrage 550.... even more quality over the 500. Now it's not a fair comparison as a 425mm blade heli is different than a 550mm blade heli, but still the quality of components, fit and finish, tolerances, everything was WWWWAAAAAYYYYY better than the Align components.

Short answer. Yes, there are very big differences, and when your skills are to the point where your knees don't shake with every flight, and you are crashing less often... you WILL feel the difference.
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Ps I'm a beginner

---
Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk

Having only flown a logo once (Logo 500 stretch) I would not even THINK about selling a logo for a trex. No way, no how. The logo (even though most components are a type of plastic) is miles ahead of Trex in build quality, tolerances and just overall feel.

You would be taking a step backwards.
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A lot of it is what you make of it really. But for the most part, yes. There can be a tremendous amount of difference froma cheap one and a good one. The reason I can't say 100% for that the frame makes the biggest difference is that the majority of the time if you have a cheap frame, you have matching junk equipment to outfit it, so the performance will almost never impress even a newb.

Also, it really depends on where you are in the learning curve as to what you can really do with certain models. While better built models will almost certainly 'fly' better, it doesn't mean that you will necesarily agree with its characteristics. Take for example a Century Hawk 30 and a Raptor 30. I've flown both rather extensively and I overly prefer the Raptor personally. But the Hawk is claimed to be a lot more capable. I didn't agree with a lot of the parts and how it went together so I am pretty biased against the Hawk but for some people they'd never reconsider a Rappy if you handed them one for free. This goes to show a difference in opinion VS a difference in actual "quality".

Now if you were to take either one of those models and compare it to say a Trex 600, well that's a whole different animal. Again, most people would invest both the time and the money to get the 600 just right but a 30 class most people are just happy to get them off the ground, so they might not even come close to an apples to apples comparison. Not really sure if that gets you any closer to an answer, but it's food for thought nonetheless.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I do.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

My T550 is collecting dust right now because I don't like to fly it.

Align has helped fix their very poor boom CG with their new head design which lowers the head, but they are in a constant patch mode trying to fix mistakes and poor design choices.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Ps I'm a beginner

---
Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk

NOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it!!!

What Logo are you flying? If the model is out of production or you cannot afford to crash and rebuild I can understand wanting to go with an Align. The parts are more readily available and the cost can be a good deal less on certain "crash parts".

Align makes some decent helicopters but a Logo stands head and shoulders above an Align. Of course this is just my opinion, there are other guys on here who may beleive the exact opposite to be true.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have never owned or flown a Logo so I have no opinion comparing the two but my experience does pertain to the general question. I started flying on an HK500CMT (align clone). I always thought it flew nice and I got used to how it flew. However I moved up to a T-rex 600 Nitro Pro and it felt so locked in and precise I couldn't believe it. Going back to the clone it felt so sloppy and almost unflyable I had to upgrade it to align parts so it was comparable. So in my opinion, once you fly something of better quality you will notice it trying to go down in quality.
700N YS.91 600N Pro OS 50 Hyper, GY611, 600E Pro All stock, Spartan Quark, NX4 OS 37, BeastX, HK250 DFC, Tarot ZYX-S, UMX Beast, X525 Quad with camera gimbal, HK control board, Spektrum DX7, Pheonix Sim v4.0
AMA# 97405
Bengsch85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeke View Post
NO, never,ever sell a logo for a trex, don't even think about it
Why not? I dont think many hobby shops even carry logo parts and you really dont even see many logos these days. To each their own but id take align hands down!
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just close your eyes and listen..Nuff said..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkwyEzy4Z7U&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3xNGfKH9Q[/ame]
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
Why not? I dont think many hobby shops even carry logo parts and you really dont even see many logos these days. To each their own but id take align hands down!
In my city of about 300,000 people the hobby store with the most inventory barely keeps parts in stock for my mCPX nevermind my 550. I end up mail ordering everything anyway it costs me a lot less in time, and anything I order at Ready Heli arrives in 2 days without any expediting.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't like align. Seems like they are just conglomerations of copied ideas stolen from other brands (dfc from compass as an example) There is NO WAY I'd trade my Prôtos for any trex. I have considered the trex 500 as a beater that I wouldn't care if I smashed in the ground. I have flown both my prôtos 500 and a trex 500 back to back and the better heli (prôtos) is just far smoother and flies better IMO.

Prôtos 500CF FBL Vbar
Blade 450FBL Tarot ZYX
My98stang46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should do a plastic protos with lower end electrics as a beater, they are pretty damn cheap to fix...
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

In a word... YES!

That being said, a good mechanic can fix up design flaws to a certain extent but in the end you get what you pay for, and I would say the euphamism doesnt ring more true than for R/C helis.
glarepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
Have you ever flown a Logo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in