Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
catpainkev
Registered Users

Default New to CP Pro 2, thus far not impressed !

Hi Chaps

Been flying the backside off of my BL MCPX and loving it...getting some inverted and basic 3D in..

Saw a Blade CP Pro 2 at what I thought was a reasonable price so snapped it up thinking it'd fill the gap between my MCPX and my Raptor 50 as it clearly says on the box Lightning-fast cyclic response....3D blah blah

In reality it couldn't be much father from the truth...I bound it to my Futaba FF9 with DM8 spectrum module as I didn't really want to use the supplied Tx...I configured it all statically on the bench then took it out for a tester

First hover was disastrous, lasted 10 seconds and that was mostly me immediately trying to land it straight on the skids..but it tipped over, broke a blade grip, horizontal fin and lost a pitch link !

The cyclic response was absolutely dreadful, once airborne it was wafting around on it's own all over the place taking very little notice of my desperate corrective inputs

I put it back on the bench, put a new blade grip on and then noticed that the rubber O rings had popped out of the rotor head so I re-fitted them, but the blades grips still had a lot of end float (there is one shim each side). I also removed the flybar weights at the paddle end.

Back outside again for another go...it did exactly the same thing as before, and as I attempted to get it back on the grass it tipped over again...this time bending the main and feathering shafts...also the rubber O rings had popped back out of the rotor hub again too...

So, as the title says..not impressed..and I assure you guys...it's no 'pilot error'...

I'd certainly appreciate some encouraging words from those that have them too as to what could be wrong with this one

Many thanks

Kev
catpainkev is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
jonbailie
Registered Users

The CP pro is an older Eflite model. To be fair, the performance was pretty decent when it first came out, for it's size.

That being said, the best thing about model helicopters is that they can be upgraded with components of many different styles and brands. You can upgrade the servos, the motor, gyro, and possible the head and tail mechanics, and get a pretty sweet flying machine.

Check out some cp pro videos on YouTube, some of those guys are running cool setups and getting some good 3d flights from them.

Don't be discouraged, you've got a classic small electric helicopter. You should fly the piss out of it as well as your mcpx. You can definitely benefit from the size difference, as well as the mechanics layout. This should help you get used to working on smaller machines that are designed similarly to the larger machines. It will help you get familiarized to the size whenever you upgrade to a similar sized performance bird, like a protos, trex, or something like that.

Don't get too down about the problems, either. With these older birds, parts start to go bad and break down. It's usually just simple stuff that's easily replaced, but working on these birds can be just as fun as flying them. Go over the bird carefully, get yourself some replacement parts, and get flying!

Good luck and happy flying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Varc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We never had luck with the CP Pro series and thought they were junk at first. But we are really impressed with how far Eflite has come along since then.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
InFocus
Registered Users

The CP pro came out around 2006. Things have come a long way since then.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Drivinfast247
Registered Users

The CP was my first cp heli years ago. I destroyed the CP the first day trying to hover. Went and bought the CP Pro to replace it, ended similarly. That It caused me to drop the hobby. The MSRx sparked my interest again, the MCPx fully ignited it. I really can't wait to get a bigger bird.
Drivinfast247 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
dony45
Registered Users

Something is not set up right. The CP PRO2 is not very stable but still flies decent enough. I have about 400 flights on mine with numerous crashes and I found if I didn't set it up correctly after a repair it was difficult to fly. I actually like flying it since I have a small back yard I can't really do much with something bigger. My trex 450 I take down to a flying field. The 450 is so much easier to fly very stable but I would not part with my Cp Pro2. It gets a bum rap for not being easy to fly but that is why it is a good trainer.

After many crashes and repairs(very cheap and easy to repair) I got to the point I felt ready. Because the Cp Pro was more difficult to fly it made the Trex transition easy and I have about 40 flights on it and have never crashed. A friend of mine who has a lot more money to spend junked the cp pro2 after about 20 flights and bought a trex 450, after several crashes, he bought a trex 500 FBl. He can now fly pretty decently but that learning curve cost him far more than I am willing to spend.
dony45 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
catpainkev
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

"Something is not set up right". correctomundo

It was supposedly pretty much as new, only hovered a few times by a complete novice and then given up on yatta yatta

Turns out that one of the 6 blade grip bearings was missing, as well as 2 step washers and the washers at each end of the feathering shaft...my guess is someone changed the feathering spindle and in doing so lots of 'little bits' fell out on the floor and didn't get put back

It's all sorted and flying ok now...just a bit weird how the t/r spools up at high speed before the main blades get up to hover rpm..kinda makes it want to tip over straight away just from the t/r thrust....all good fun tho
catpainkev is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
rediske
Registered Users

Could someone please post a dx8 file for a blade cp pro 2 please.

I'm struggling to get it set up right...
rediske is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
mediclavina
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
The CP pro came out around 2006. Things have come a long way since then.
Yup, it's been superseded by the Blade SR (which now been superseded by the 300X).