Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile New FAI world record “F5 Open duration electrical RC helicopter” by some helifreakers

Yesterday, Augusth 4th, after months of planning and testing, two Helifreakers (= my buddy user “Ber60” and myself) attempted to set a new world record for the longest continuous flight with an electric RC helicopter in the F5 Open class. And according to the national officials (representing the FAI) that were present to verify and evaluate the attempt, we succeeded.

The new official world record time will be 1 hour 46 minutes and 22 seconds, after the homologation procedure that will be started by the FAI soon. FYI: the previous record time was 1 hour 17 minutes and 17 seconds, flown by the German Werner Heieck in september 2011, using a heavily modified Henseleit TDR.

With a big thanks to many people on Helifreak, and especially the staff, for all these years of support and allowing me to make use of this great forum, which makes a part of the success of this attempt, as it helped me tremendously to progress further in this hobby. I wanna dedicate this record to Helifreak.

More details and pictures can be found here, and more will follow in the next days:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=432329
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations!

Well done!

(I assume this was not done with the Schluter Cobra?).
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird300 View Post
Yesterday, Augusth 4th, after months of planning and testing, two Helifreakers (= my buddy user “Ber60” and myself) attempted to set a new world record for the longest continuous flight with an electric RC helicopter in the F5 Open class. And according to the national officials (representing the FAI) that were present to verify and evaluate the attempt, we succeeded.

The new official world record time will be 1 hour 46 minutes and 22 seconds, after the homologation procedure that will be started by the FAI soon. FYI: the previous record time was 1 hour 17 minutes and 17 seconds, flown by the German Werner Heieck in september 2011, using a heavily modified Henseleit TDR.

With a big thanks to many people on Helifreak, and especially the staff, for all these years of support and allowing me to make use of this great forum, which makes a part of the success of this attempt, as it helped me tremendously to progress further in this hobby. I wanna dedicate this record to Helifreak.

More details and pictures can be found here, and more will follow in the next days:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=432329

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Congratulations and thank you VERY much for your support over the years. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

"Whether you think that you can or think that you can't, you are right." Henry Ford
BountyHunter51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations.

Some good thinking going on as well. Not sure if I would have gone the way you did on the technical aspects, but I'm not the world record holder am I

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned User

Simply amazing. Congratulations.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool
Could the the flying time could have been eventually higher if the pilot have not felt asleep?
One question: what was the flying routine? keep the heli always at a steady moving speed?
Never thought the bar could be set that high!!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Way to go guys. Its accomplishments like these that keep the hobby moving forward. An hour and forty-six minutes is some time to stand focused on that heli. I am not sure I could manage that aspect alone. Congrats
heliphlier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations!
Fly it like you stole it
Money does bring happiness, never seen a sad person on a jet ski
redsoper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congratulations.

What if you have to pee.....

Any pictures of the heli?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you all very much.

Luigi, there's no real obliged flying routine, it has to stay airborne without any exterior help, that includes ground effect, ascending winds from nearby slopes, etc... So simply hovering out of ground effect is OK, or also flying around, as you wish. The FAI wouldn't even mind keeping it inverted all the time for example, lol.

But perhaps your question was what WE did ? We choose to hover it, like 5 to 10 meters high, as the tail holding power is extemely weak, a choice that has been made to save as much energy as possible, by using a very, very low tail speed. Also recovering from descending winds was hard enough as it is, the heli is always flying at it's utter limits, one really needs to anticipate all the time. And there was a bit of wind to help us get slightly more lift, so no use flying circles or so. At this level of records, you have to look for all the limits or you simply don't get where you want.

EDIT: we flew until the lipos were completely empty, the low voltage cut-off was disabled, and let the packs simply die. Imagine that they survived ! Discharge rates or so low that it didn't hurt them much. Don't do this at home, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
Cool
Could the the flying time could have been eventually higher if the pilot have not felt asleep?
One question: what was the flying routine? keep the heli always at a steady moving speed?
Never thought the bar could be set that high!!

Last edited by redbird300; 08-05-2012 at 10:51 AM..
redbird300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
Congratulations.

What if you have to pee.....

Any pictures of the heli?

Good observation, we thought of that. I didn't drink two hours before the attempt, and used chewing gum to get rid of my thirsty throat, no kidding.

A few pics here, more to follow in the next days:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=432329&page=7
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice pics!
that is a light weight setup.
Wouldn't FBL save some hundreds of mA?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
Nice pics!
that is a light weight setup.
Wouldn't FBL save some hundreds of mA?
Not really sure at these very low headspeeds, there's very little drag already now, and you'd need better (heavier) servo's, which are working more, and so on. Might try it one day though, you never know. All my "normal" helis are FBL by the way, so it's not that I didn't think of it, but we didn't go there for now. And I would need another head, or modify the existing one without endangering reliabilitiy, while keeping the added benefit of less weight in FBL setup. And vibration levels in this heli are rather high, as the frame and tail are very weak, not sure that the FBL controller would really like it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Considering you are just hovering, NOBAR is an option to experiment with for next time! Removes the drag of the clockwork, and you don't waste precious Mah on running an electric device.

The trick is, will you need to make more inputs to keep the heli level, in turn using more energy?

Also you can try experimenting with a single rotor blade. lol, sorry, look at me, you now have the record and we are already thinking of ways to better it! Damn helifreaks.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Liugi

I'am the "mechanic" of the heli and like Raf said it was an option
Our biggest concern where the blades, we tried many type's of blades and the carbon one's where the heaviesd with a wopping 145gr, finnally we settled on a-symetric wooden blades who came to only +-70gr , we din't even put the plastic sleeve on them I've just treated them with wax

Erwin
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Mixmaster Pilot

What do you mean with a "single rotor blade" lol
Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ber60, here is a link that highlights the added efficiency of using only 1 blade. Not sure if your setup wouldn't be more efficient though.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
Ber60, here is a link that highlights the added efficiency of using only 1 blade. Not sure if your setup wouldn't be more efficient though.

My buddy Ber60 already went there, a long time ago (2009), even using not only 1 main blade, but also 1 paddle and 1 tailblade:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=155621
That might be the next step indeed, we'll see.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Outstanding!! And congratulations!!! I'm simply amazed!
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in