Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Reading error to me say its not connected. Meaning of the 6 pins connected from USBtiny may not be in the right order or some have a bad connection, even no power going to it. To be sure get DMM and check continuity.

Is this all you type ? avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p
If yes then your missing the rest ie File name for Hex

Is there a reason your not using usb/Serial to upload to your Pro Mini command line :
avrdude -p m328p -c arduino -P com2 -D -U flash:w:silprog_v007_promini16mhz.hex:i
sometimes it isnt connection issue, but most times it is and mine was.
sirbow2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
sometimes it isnt connection issue, but most times it is and mine was.
Yup, totally.....lets hope fuses haven't been changed to something bad!!
SadSack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Reading error to me say its not connected. Meaning of the 6 pins connected from USBtiny may not be in the right order or some have a bad connection, even no power going to it. To be sure get DMM and check continuity.

Is this all you type ? avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p
If yes then your missing the rest ie File name for Hex

Is there a reason your not using usb/Serial to upload to your Pro Mini command line :
avrdude -p m328p -c arduino -P com2 -D -U flash:w:silprog_v007_promini16mhz.hex:i
The string avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p is for connection testing between the usbtinyisp and the Pro Mini.

SO after trying with different parameters and with a ftdi instead of the usbtinyisp I've got it!!! I don't know why, but my Pro Mini only accept 57600 baud. Flashing successfully done

For all outside having problems with flashing the Arduino Pro Mini, change the speed of the connection!
Galumbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next step, next problem: After the successful flashing of the ESC, the motor doesn't start up like before. When I rise up throttle, the motor doesn't spin up immediately. Please see attached video:

Setup:

- Hobbywing Pentium 12 A (same like Turnigy Plush 12A) with Silabs uC
- Robbe Roxxy 2824-34
- Arduino Pro Mini 16MHz / 5V
- silprog_v007_promini16mhz.hex
- TURNIGY_PLUSH_12A_MULTI_REV6_0.HEX

The communication with BL Heli Tool and ESC is fine.
I've tested many different settings in the tool, but the bad startup is always the same. Is this normal?

PS: The beebs you hear in the video are from 5 unflashed ESCs

Last edited by Galumbo; 08-11-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Galumbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galumbo View Post
Next step, next problem: After the successful flashing of the ESC, the motor doesn't start up like before. When I rise up throttle, the motor doesn't spin up immediately. Please see attached video:

Looks like you should program a higher startup power setting. There is a sequence of attempts to start with different powers, starting from a low power (see the doc on github for details).
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hey Galumbo

get the latest version of BLHeliTool from the project webpage... there was a little bug with the arm at startup parameter in the blhelitool.dev file... could be your issue

57600 baud is the correct speed for arduino pro mini... if anyone is ever in doubt about the correct setting for a particular Arduino board... the board.txt file in the arduino folder tells all needed details... and for the pro mini it gives 57600

cheers, olli

(PS: I'm still on vaccation and hence can't fullfill the various hex-file requests... I just got a quick chance for a short Inet connection )
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #187 (permalink)

Just wondering, could you guys help me make a arduino into a sim cable for my dx6i? I have no experience with arduino, I will soon be getting a UNO rev 3
Just Another Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Flyer View Post
Just wondering, could you guys help me make a arduino into a sim cable for my dx6i? I have no experience with arduino, I will soon be getting a UNO rev 3
You could try this http://d-parc.be/index.php/99/2 should get you going.
I've made made one like it using PMM2USB.
Tips on build :
Zenner diodes you can live with out them better with, mine does not use them.
Resistor's you do need 68ohms can go as high as 150ohms other 1.5k. Get your multi meter out steal them off old circuit boards.
And spare usb lead. You'll not be using usb port on the arduino its using Vusb which is software usb.

Fyi should have posted this in Sim thread, which i don't visit
SadSack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #189 (permalink)

Well I knew you were good with this stuff so I decided to try here. Plus they would say just go buy a $7 cable it's not worth the work.
Just Another Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey wilsonn1996 and sirbow2,

attached a zip with a owsilprog (version v0.08) for an atmega2560/16MHz and atmega8/12MHz, as you guys requested

I could of course not test the hex files, so it would be nice if you could report back your experiences.

Have fun, Olli
Attached Files
File Type: zip owsilprog_v008_4sirbow2wilsonn1996.zip (8.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
Hey wilsonn1996 and sirbow2,

attached a zip with a owsilprog (version v0.08) for an atmega2560/16MHz and atmega8/12MHz, as you guys requested

I could of course not test the hex files, so it would be nice if you could report back your experiences.

Have fun, Olli
Hey Olli, thanks for the hex files, I will hopefully test them tomorrow and report back. Hope you had a good holiday
wilsonn1996 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonn1996 View Post
Hey Olli, thanks for the hex files, I will hopefully test them tomorrow and report back. Hope you had a good holiday
Unfortunately I get the output
Code:
Flash hex file... Please wait!
v... er
r... 
d... Connection to target FAILED!
From the program.

Any idea as to what this indicates Olli?

(I am running Windows 8 Professional x64 RTM, could this be causing issues?)

(UPDATE - This works, I was using the older version of blhelitool and silprog, also I had the esc flashing wires connected to the wrong arduino pins, see later post for more details)

Last edited by wilsonn1996; 08-15-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #193 (permalink)

Possibly because O don't think it is out yet. Correct me of I am wrong.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey Wilson1996,

the command 'v' should yield a line such as 'OlliW SilProg...', this command exclusively works on the UART, i.e., doesn't invoke any action on the C2 interface to the BESC => the UART connection does not seem to work

possible reasons:
remember that I never worked before with the 2560, so I just compiled the code...

maybe the UART needs however to be setup slightly differently than for the smaller atmegas I am used too, so, maybe you or someone else who knows can tell (I did have a brief look at the datasheet but couldn't spot any difference).

maybe also the large memory space (and hence 16bit adressing in some cases) cause some issues I am not considering... but I wouldn't know...

sorry that the simple approach didn't worked out, hopefully someone has an idea (must be something simple I guess).

as regards Win8 I have no idea, I think sirbow2 somewhere posted that the BLHeliTool needs to be run in a compatibility box/mode...

Olli

PS: you hopefully don't use SilProgTool... it is somehwat outdated and I don't know what it does, so use BLHeliTool
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
hey Wilson1996,

the command 'v' should yield a line such as 'OlliW SilProg...', this command exclusively works on the UART, i.e., doesn't invoke any action on the C2 interface to the BESC => the UART connection does not seem to work

possible reasons:
remember that I never worked before with the 2560, so I just compiled the code...

maybe the UART needs however to be setup slightly differently than for the smaller atmegas I am used too, so, maybe you or someone else who knows can tell (I did have a brief look at the datasheet but couldn't spot any difference).

maybe also the large memory space (and hence 16bit adressing in some cases) cause some issues I am not considering... but I wouldn't know...

sorry that the simple approach didn't worked out, hopefully someone has an idea (must be something simple I guess).

as regards Win8 I have no idea, I think sirbow2 somewhere posted that the BLHeliTool needs to be run in a compatibility box/mode...

Olli

PS: you hopefully don't use SilProgTool... it is somehwat outdated and I don't know what it does, so use BLHeliTool
Hey Olli, thanks for your quick reply!

I was being somewhat stupid, and using the old BLHeliTool version. I am now using the v004 version off your homepage, and it is closer to working now

This is the output I get:
Code:
Read... Please wait!
v... er>OlliW SilProg v0.08 PB3PB4
r... rok
d... Connection to target FAILED!
Any ideas on what is causing the connection to fail? Do I still wire C2CK to digital 2, and C2D to digital 3? Are the pins different on the arduino mega 2560r2?

Cheers, I appreciate your help!

Alex

(UPDATE - This works, I was using the older version of blhelitool and silprog, also I had the esc flashing wires connected to the wrong arduino pins, see later post for more details)

Last edited by wilsonn1996; 08-15-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do I still wire C2CK to digital 2, and C2D to digital 3?
no
the C2CK and C2D pins are now indicated in the owsilprog filename... and status information obtained with 'v'...
they are PB3 and PB4, or MOSI and MISO, or digital pins D11 and D12...
(for the Arduinos I found it most convennient to use the ISP socket for wiring the C2 lines)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Quote:
no
the C2CK and C2D pins are now indicated in the owsilprog filename... and status information obtained with 'v'...
they are PB3 and PB4, or MOSI and MISO, or digital pins D11 and D12...
(for the Arduinos I found it most convennient to use the ISP socket for wiring the C2 lines)
Olli, thanks a LOT for this information, I was following a tutorial on oddcopter.com and assumed that the pins would be the same, silly me! Your program is working perfectly now that I am using it properly

Code:
Flash hex file... Please wait!
v... er>OlliW SilProg v0.08 PB3PB4
r... rok
d... dok0A
i... iok
e... eok
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Flash hex file... DONE!
I used pb3 and pb4 (now I know what they stand for) - These are the pins on the arduino mega 2560 R2 that I used.
C2CK digital pin 50 - (PB3)
C2D digital pin 10 - (PB4)

When I press read I get the following:
Code:
Read... Please wait!
v... er
>OlliW SilProg v0.08 PB3PB4
r... rok
d... dok0A
i... iok
br... br021A00ok0601 -> Revison 6.1
br... br021A0Dok55AA -> Mode 55AA MULTI
Read... ABORTED!
The options for this target are not available in BLHeliTool.dev!
I guess version 6.1 is not supported by BLHeliTool v004?
Thanks again for your very hard work Olli, your contribution in this area is great
Alex
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Folks,

new release (ow-silprog-blhelitool-blhelibox-20120815.zip) available at the project webpage: http://www.olliw.eu/owsilprog/#firmware.

BLHeli 6.1 is now of course supported.

All the firmwares/softwares were considerably rehauled. A major aim was to ensure as much as possible that all the menu options are correct; the respective data are hence script generated directly form the BLHeli.asm files. Hopefully this avoids bugs. Some further things were improved. E.g. selecting the BLHeli hex file in BLHeliTool has now become much easier. Also the hex files are included in this relase now (thanks Steffen!). Furthermore the Target Calculator takes now also into account Governor Range (as it should). Finally, this relase includes the first "official" relase of the BLHeliBox, the hex is for Arduino Uno + LCD Shield (if anyone needs a hex for a different hardwrae, please tell). So, we are at

- owSilProg v0.08:
ATmega328p @ 16MHz, ATmega328p @ 8MHz, ATmega168 @ 16MHz, ATmega2560 @ 16MHz, ATmega8 @ 12MHz, ATmega8 @ 8MHz

- BLHeliTool v0.05

- AvrBurnTool v0.03

- BLHeliBox v0.07: ATmega328p @ 16MHz

Cheers, Olli

Last edited by OlliW; 08-16-2012 at 07:27 AM..
OlliW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Olli
Great work , I ordered my LCD shield from Hong Kong , and have been on pins and needles since the end of July, waiting .

It has just arrived and I had a chance this afternoon to mess with it a bit , so I wanted to post a photo and the output from loading BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex with Avrdude .

I downloaded the software from Olli's site , listed in the post above , and moved BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex , into my Avrdude folder , then I just ran the command line

avrdude -p m328p -c arduino -P com5 -D -U flash:w:BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_6mhz_pb3pb4.hex:i

and here is the output

Quote:
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: reading input file "BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (13948 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.52s

avrdude: 13948 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.
hex:
avrdude: input file BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex contains 13948 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.98s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 13948 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.
Here is a photo of the shield running Olli's code , I will have more time this evening to write a more complete explanation .

Once again , Kudos to Olli for making this available to us , best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box1.JPG
Views:	1770
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	340889  
copperclad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Copperclad,

that's COOL... let's see if it does do all the intendend functions (I mean, except of showing the connect display LOL )

BTW: you may wish to try AvrBurnTool, it's supposed to make flashing the hex into the Arduino a piece of cake... (no need for cryptic cmd lines etc.).

Cheers, Olli

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in