Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
you may wish to try AvrBurnTool
Hi Olli
Thanks , I totally missed it , I will try it , and include it in my post , Also , it is great that the pb3 and pb4 are in the ICSP connection , That will make hookup with the LCD unit , a breeze .

Best regards

Last edited by copperclad; 08-16-2012 at 06:53 PM..
copperclad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi
I got the BLHeliBox hooked up and working today . I used an Arduino UNO clone and a LCD keypad shield http://www.ebay.com/itm/180830096802...84.m1497.l2649 $7.29 US shipped from Hong Kong .

Go to Olli's site and download the firmware , He also has some great tutorial videos showing setup and theory of the BLHeliBox . http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/#firmware Good work Olli

There is a new AvrBurnTool included with this firmware , that makes flashing the UNO a breeze . It still uses AVRdude , but AvrBurnTool takes care of the command line for you .

I ran into one small problem using the shield with an UNO that differs from the video , The UNO expects 5 volts and needs to be plugged into , not just the ESC battery , but the USB cable also . Other than that , this is an easy project and a very slick little tool .

Olli has the programming leads coming from the ICSP plug now ( pb3 and pb4 ), and the LCD shield brings these lines up to the top of the board , I made up a plug for this pictured , and show it plugged into the shield .

Also I am posting a photo of the shield on the UNO with the ESC attached , just to show how clean this setup is .

best regards

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug1.JPG
Views:	1766
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	341109   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug2.JPG
Views:	1741
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	341110   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug3.JPG
Views:	1896
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	341111   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNO BLHeli Box.JPG
Views:	2769
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	341112  

Last edited by copperclad; 08-18-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperclad View Post

Olli has the programming leads coming from the ICSP plug now , and the LCD shield brings these lines up to the top of the board , I made up a plug for this pictured , and show it plugged into the shield .
Looks very nice.
Q: Is Digital Pin's 2/3 still used for programming ?
SadSack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the Pins do have multiple functions.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
Yes, the Pins do have multiple functions.
Fast reply, thanks.
Got worried for a sec...

I'm got behind in my project. My Hilti battery packed in and needed it back!
Got a smaller one for normal use
btw LCD/Key pad clip on.

Ps welcome back, hope you had a good holiday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine-v2c.png
Views:	1750
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	341115  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

@copperclad:

AWESOME job... and thanks much for sharing the details

If you read back, the 5V issue is something I was pondering about for "since ever"... it's a problem of the LCD displays... Plugging to the USB as you did does resolve the issue , but then the box is not portable . I solved that by using the cheapo Hobbyking step-up converter, works perfectly so far. Should work for you too. Otherwise you could use an additional 2S battery and plug it to the Vin pin of the Arduino. Not as handy but works for sure.

I actually have ordered one of those supposedly 3.3V LCD displays... let's see how this works.

PS: avrdude does actually come shipped with the releases, so one doesn't have to install anything (I think that's one nice thing about this project, unzip and go).

@SadSack, 4712:

I think there is a missunderstanding. The owSilProg and BLHeliBox hex files shipped with the latest release ALL use the PB3/PB4 pins as the C2-interface programming lines C2CK/C2D! On the Arduino Uno (Pro, Min, etc) these are digital pins 11/12 (on the Mega they seem to be different, as Wilsonn1996 reported). So, I guess the answer to
Quote:
Is Digital Pin's 2/3 still used for programming?
is no.

@SadSack:

Anyhow, if you or anyone else will need these lines to sit at different pins, just tell, compiling a respective hex is a piece of cake... so, in any case no need for worries

Nevertheless, maybe you would wish to wait how the 3.3V LCD display adventure works out... the result should affect any further considerations (and layouting) on appropriate box hardware...

Cheers, Olli

PS: yes, I had a very enjoyable high mountain trecking tour through the Stubaier with my sons...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I solved that by using the cheapo Hobbyking step-up converter, works perfectly so far. Should work for you too. Otherwise you could use an additional 2S battery and plug it to the Vin pin of the Arduino. Not as handy but works for sure.
Hi Olli

Yes , plugging in a battery will be an easy and simple solution for portability

I was too busy getting it setup today , to really think about how absolutely slick this BLHeli Box is , But it finally caught up to me , and WOW!! , you have done a really great job getting this to work , and worked out so well , It is really great to get to set it up and see how well it works , Thanks again

best regards
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
@copperclad:

AWESOME job... and thanks much for sharing the details

If you read back, the 5V issue is something I was pondering about for "since ever"... it's a problem of the LCD displays... Plugging to the USB as you did does resolve the issue , but then the box is not portable . I solved that by using the cheapo Hobbyking step-up converter, works perfectly so far. Should work for you too. Otherwise you could use an additional 2S battery and plug it to the Vin pin of the Arduino. Not as handy but works for sure.

I actually have ordered one of those supposedly 3.3V LCD displays... let's see how this works.

PS: avrdude does actually come shipped with the releases, so one doesn't have to install anything (I think that's one nice thing about this project, unzip and go).

FYI anyone using 2s setup in heli wouldn't need step-up, you have 5 voltage's coming out of ESC.

@SadSack, 4712:

I think there is a missunderstanding. The owSilProg and BLHeliBox hex files shipped with the latest release ALL use the PB3/PB4 pins as the C2-interface programming lines C2CK/C2D! On the Arduino Uno (Pro, Min, etc) these are digital pins 11/12 (on the Mega they seem to be different, as Wilsonn1996 reported). So, I guess the answer to is no.

@SadSack:

Anyhow, if you or anyone else will need these lines to sit at different pins, just tell, compiling a respective hex is a piece of cake... so, in any case no need for worries

Nevertheless, maybe you would wish to wait how the 3.3V LCD display adventure works out... the result should affect any further considerations (and layouting) on appropriate box hardware...

Cheers, Olli

PS: yes, I had a very enjoyable high mountain trecking tour through the Stubaier with my sons...
Copperclad could use the Hobbyking step-up converter and feed the 5V pin on the ISP. Just needs to make a lead using step-up in the lead. Then best of both worlds and no mod's to arduino/key shield.
I'm waiting for parts for my shield but i can make smaller version. I have the step-up so can complete that one. That said would it be possible to get atmega88 8mhz compile? New pin layout is fine Thanks.

I'm not the best at understanding data sheets but some say lcd [email protected]>7 volts and backlight needs 5v. Well looking at lcd module back-light is just an led which you can see legs. I wondered if it could be as simple as cutting leds and re feeding a supply to led 3v> with a res ??? For me i find there far to bright so dim but lit may work for me....bad idea i guess
Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not the best at understanding data sheets but some say lcd [email protected]>7 volts and backlight needs 5v.
Hi
If the LCD was running you would be able to read it , even if the backlight was not coming on .

best regards

Last edited by copperclad; 08-17-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
I'm waiting for parts for my shield but i can make smaller version. I have the step-up so can complete that one. That said would it be possible to get atmega88 8mhz compile?
BTW: The smallest Board/shield ombo You can get ist the Robbe Programming Box. And it is available in UK.
The only problem is: Yopu have to use an USB /serial adapter and it has no Backlight.
I have one here running very nice with 4V.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

that's most weired... I have 3 robbe boxes and none of them would work at 4.0V and lesser so at 3.7V. You must have done some hardware modifications? Removing/bypassing the LDO is obvious. Also adjusting the contrast voltage. What else?

SadSack, the current BLHeliBox firmware is too large to fit into a Atmega8/88... it might maybe be possible to squeece it into them, but at significant loss in flexibility, ease of operation, functionality, and generality. So, I am not pursuing this as I won't like the result. Hence, 168/328.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
that's most weired... I have 3 robbe boxes and none of them would work at 4.0V and lesser so at 3.7V. You must have done some hardware modifications? Removing/bypassing the LDO is obvious. Also adjusting the contrast voltage. What else?
No LDO mods, simply bypass D1 for LCD contrast. At 3.7V is is nearly unreadable
at 4V its quite OK. ATMEGA88 is fine with3V!
It is running very nice, I got all strings into EEPROM and progmem and still have room for the bootloader (512Byte size).

Code:
----------------
Device: atmega88p
Program: 6774 bytes (82.7% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)
Data: 360 bytes (35.2% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)
EEPROM: 512 bytes (100.0% Full)
(.eeprom)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
SadSack, the current BLHeliBox firmware is too large to fit into a Atmega8/88... it might maybe be possible to squeece it into them, but at significant loss in flexibility, ease of operation, functionality, and generality. So, I am not pursuing this as I won't like the result. Hence, 168/328.
Bugger
Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #214 (permalink)

I have my UNO and am try to load hex files on it but it says.
delay...
v...target not found
Just Another Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #215 (permalink)

missing libusb0.dll in arv burn tool
Just Another Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi just another flyer

How are you trying to load the HEX file , are you using Olli's AvrBurnTool_v003 or are you using the command line ,
avrdude -p m328p -c arduino -P com5 -D -U flash:w:BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex:i

Check to be sure your UNO is installed correctly

Keep us posted

best regards
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi
Are you able to flash a sketch file with your UNO , in Arduino_1.0
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperclad View Post
Hi just another flyer

How are you trying to load the HEX file , are you using Olli's AvrBurnTool_v003 or are you using the command line ,
avrdude -p m328p -c arduino -P com5 -D -U flash:w:BLHeliBox_v007_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4.hex:i

Check to be sure your UNO is installed correctly

Keep us posted

best regards
I am using Olli's AvrBurnTool_v003 I am pretty sure my UNO is installed corectlly. I loaded the blink example on it and that worked. Also happens when I hit check connection.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Flyer View Post
I am using Olli's AvrBurnTool_v003 I am pretty sure my UNO is installed corectlly. I loaded the blink example on it and that worked. Also happens when I hit check connection.
Got it I had to copy libusb0.dll to the folder with OliW's programs in it.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #220 (permalink)

Do I need to have my esc connected to my UNO when I run BlHeliTool?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in