Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Blade mCPx Servo Cleaning

I have cleaned my servos with control cleaner on a paper match. Works very well, please watch video!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0NIepknfnE[/ame]
Imzzaudae is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a great video mate!

I also wrote a tutorial about cleaning the servos,

Some pictures here

Gio
---
my RC blog
gionir is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank You

I was about to buy a new servo when I tried this complete cleaning. There apparently was some oil down in there from overzealous lubricating that caused it to respond (spin), but not move on command. This cleaning saved me I think around $30 or whatever they charge for these servos'. I had thought the carbon brush area was sealed until this helpful post!

Highly recommended. BTW, in usual circumstance, the carbon will dust off from the friction of the "finger pad" causing erratic behavior, this is why spraying alcohol down into the volume knob of an old stereo that "crackles" when you adj the volume works. In the video you asked "how these even get dirty" or something of the like so there is your explanation
ZenoSX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a very well used MCPX that probably has a few hundred flights on it. I have cleaned the servos ~5-6 times. The issue that comes up is the servo motor housing strips easily and the plastic tabs will disintegrate and break off over time. Thus the servo motor will detach from the circuit board. I have had two servos fail in the last couple weeks because of this.

I posted a thread on this problem and several people who replied said that they just shoot DeOxit into the servo and move the servos up and down in throttle old mode. I am going to do this moving forward.

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The matches work great, much better than Q-tips. Also, 99% Rubbing alcohol works well too, but has no lubricant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
I have cleaned the servos ~5-6 times. The issue that comes up is the servo motor housing strips easily and the plastic tabs will disintegrate and break off over time. Thus the servo motor will detach from the circuit board. I have had two servos fail in the last couple weeks because of this.

I posted a thread on this problem and several people who replied said that they just shoot DeOxit into the servo and move the servos up and down in throttle old mode. I am going to do this moving forward.

I have yet to try Detoxit, but from what I've read, it sounds like it works well. Much easier than unscrewing the servo mechanics, and less wear on the screw holes and tabs. And it leaves a light lube as well.

I have had to use 1x3mm RKH screws to replace the stock screws on many of my servos, because of stripped/ worn threads.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anybody know which Detoxit is best for this application?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the stuff I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S6-Deox...caig+deoxit+d5

I've got about 200 flights on 2 different MCPX's and have never needed to pull a servo off and clean it as the Deoxit seems to do the job nicely by spraying it in from the outside.
1Way is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the real deal...note the spelling difference.

Available at any electronics shop...

http://www.altex.com/GC-Electronics-...6-P141839.aspx

Ken
kenkadish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So one of my servos was tweaking out, I took it apart and cleaned it. I wont be doing that again..it worked great but I ordered that deoxit from amazon last week and will be going that route from now on if it dies i'll buy a new servo. I really hate these tiny screws lol.
KTMDirtFace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkadish View Post
This is the real deal...note the spelling difference.

Available at any electronics shop...

http://www.altex.com/GC-Electronics-...6-P141839.aspx

Ken
Real what though ?
UKHeliBob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Other chemical options ...

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/produc...Spray/1667-18S

As a former electronic tech I used ' Blue Shower' to clean all electronic controls.
I used 'Blue Shower' a LOT since it cleans really well, is totally inert electrically, and has no effect on plastics. You can also get it at electronic parts supply houses. Note that Blue Shower has NO lubricant in it. Due to the very low contact pressure within the servo, I am not sure that a lubricant, no matter how thin, would be of much value and may even attract and hold more dust. The GC cleaner/lubricant spray is excellent for use in noisy pots in radios (I am an old 'tube radio' guy..) and made the controls in these kinds of units feel like new. I don't think you need that in this application.
bchick1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKHeliBob View Post
Real what though ?
The real product to clean oxidation from electronic components.

Ken
kenkadish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My contacts still look good after a long time and many batteries of flight. All I use is Alcohol and a Q-tip. I don't even use a lube afterwards. I still have all original servos on a bought at release V1 MCPX that gets flown quite often in all kinds of BC Canada weather. I did however recently replace the motor on my right cyclic servo.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
My contacts still look good after a long time and many batteries of flight. All I use is Alcohol and a Q-tip. I don't even use a lube afterwards. I still have all original servos on a bought at release V1 MCPX that gets flown quite often in all kinds of BC Canada weather. I did however recently replace the motor on my right cyclic servo.
I use Deoxit. Why take them apart when I don't have to.
Jim1946 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spray contact cleaner into my servos if they start getting chattery, and it works well. The only thing is to be careful that it doesn't soften or dissolve the glue holding the servo motor. I've had that happen and had the motor slip up so that there was no gear mesh.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo cleaning

Thanks so much for the tip. My Heli was acting strange and was drifting around and changing altitude without any input, driving me crazy. So I cleaned the servos as per the video and boy were they dirty, I mean black soot. I used some high quality iso and all the black came off, just be careful to swipe the little brushes one way only on the down stroke or the cotton will stick to the brush and pull it up bending them pretty easily. I can't believe the difference my bird is now, steady and flies great,woo hoo.
crash_454 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well for starters, call me shaky Jake and have Macular Degeneration (Mild) so working on the itty bitty guys is tough. My 450 isn't quite as bad.

As far as the Deoxit, when and how do you use it? How often? Like how much do you use and where to spray it an how long to wait afterward etc? All new to me
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm so glad I found this thread! I have a new to me MCPX. The first time I flew it, just hovering and slow circuits, the heli seemed to seizure. It would be steady, and with no input from me, would convulse and shake. Like it was having little seizures. I turned to the website and found this thread. A quick trip to Radio Shack for some Deoxit. I took all three servos off, and then apart and cleaned the brush and the silver strip as stated in this thread. Back together, and presto.... She flies perfectly now! No more shakes and the control seems much much better. The heli is much more smooth and controlable and doesn't dart around like before. Thank you everyone for contributing like you do.

Jim
jimsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in