Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > mQX

mQX Blade mQX Quad Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

I stand corrected. I read OP's post and it noted the absence of that inner ridge and was relaying that info.

Perhaps like you said, it's easy to damage.

Glad to see another person with the GWS props so we can get more info.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've tried 3 / 6 / 0.5mm washers. Overkill, and don't work. Very very thin shims might help. Without shims, I'm just popping the gears on to standard lock position, and then backing them off ever so slightly by pressing on the shaft bottom with a coin, so that they have minimal slop while spinning freely. There's that microscopic range where there is slop you can feel that "doesn't matter", at least given the tolerances of this aircraft. I'd say you'll just have to keep a close eye on those gears, and perhaps expect shorter service life from them. Maybe a micro drop of CA might help. If those inexpensive 929 gears at Bang_good dot com are good plug and play replacements, then shorter gear life could become a non-issue from a price perspective: ($3.50 for four -- free shipping globally).

I've balanced the rotors using scotch tape (between 2cm and 3.5cm on each rotor). It took 20 minutes to do, because I do things slowly the first time I do them. It's probably a five minute job, tops, if you've got a dab hand.

Result: vibes completely fixed. Not somewhat fixed, better, or an improvement. Fixed. Gone.

So, I would say we've got the microheliaddict solution to vibes with these rotors, which is to balance them. The remaining issue, stubbiness of the molded thin bearing contact ring, may cause problems, so further testing of shims / adhesives may be in order.

Minor issues, but: Great Rotors!
syzygyQ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

MQX with GWS props (balanced), carrying an 808 #16 HD camera at 200 feet.

Significantly more stable than stock while carrying 15g load.

From the 27 second mark onwards shows reduced choppiness on unpowered descent as compared to stock.

[ame]http://youtu.be/9Zw9gXmOJGU[/ame]
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New GWS Props!!!

I have GWS props on my 450 size quad. They are great! However the replacments I got came from GLB were horribly unbalanced and had bad molding marks on them. I have come to the realization that they are seconds from GWS. I believe this to be the case due to the mold marks and the unbalance. Also they dont come in the standard GWS package. I also noticed on one of my 450 blades that they were cracking badly on the underside. Now this is not to say I wouldnt use these for the MQX or my bigger quad. You just have to put more time into them and make sure you check them out good. I have since found the same 450 blades at Hobbyking.com and they look good and are in GWS packaging. Well sorry to hijack the thread but thought I would share what I know about GLB props with everyone else.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you're hijacking the thread, and that's useful information you've provided.

The rotors are a great find. Now we need to find some that come balanced ootb.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
I have GWS props on my 450 size quad. They are great! However the replacments I got came from GLB were horribly unbalanced and had bad molding marks on them. I have come to the realization that they are seconds from GWS. I believe this to be the case due to the mold marks and the unbalance. Also they dont come in the standard GWS package. I also noticed on one of my 450 blades that they were cracking badly on the underside. Now this is not to say I wouldnt use these for the MQX or my bigger quad. You just have to put more time into them and make sure you check them out good. I have since found the same 450 blades at Hobbyking.com and they look good and are in GWS packaging. ...
What size GWS blades do you have for your 450 size quad?
I presume that they are not the EP5443 (R) blades meant for the mQx, but rather larger blades?
Anyways, I could not see any EP5443 (R) blades at Hobbyking.com
flying-llama is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New GWS Props!!!

flying-llama you are right! They are not the ones used on the MQX. They are a 9050x3. I only brought them up because they were the only example I had of blades bought from GLB. I also looked on hobby king after I posted and didnt seem the EP5443's on there. But if they are new they may not be out everywhere yet. All I wanted to do was make people aware of what they may be getting from GLB. Not saying there stuff is bad or people shouldnt buy it! They have a ton of stuff over there and I have bought from them myself. Just dont want to hear of someone losing there quad or whatever they fly, due to a faulty prop that I could have pointed out something to look for. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

can someone please point me in the right direction where i can find information how to balance blades for a mQX...
after replacing the stock blades with the ones from BG I think I have some problems with unbalanced blades (more noise and vibrations)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
can someone please point me in the right direction where i can find information how to balance blades for a mQX...
after replacing the stock blades with the ones from BG I think I have some problems with unbalanced blades (more noise and vibrations)
Sure. What I did was pull off the gears, turn the MQX vertical (shafts horizontal), then place the props at 11:00 o'clock and let them fall. If the bearings are good the heavier side will fall towards the bottom. Then wrap 2cm of scotch tape around the lighter side, and another 1cm if needed, until the rotors do not turn by their weight. Repeat for each rotor.

It is not difficult. I took twenty minutes to do it, but I was teaching myself the method and going slowly.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

@syzygyQ: thanks for this tutorial I'll try this when I'm home again.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
flying-llama you are right! They are not the ones used on the MQX. They are a 9050x3. I only brought them up because they were the only example I had of blades bought from GLB. I also looked on hobby king after I posted and didnt seem the EP5443's on there. But if they are new they may not be out everywhere yet. All I wanted to do was make people aware of what they may be getting from GLB. Not saying there stuff is bad or people shouldnt buy it! ...
Understood.
Good to warn about possible unbalanced blades, which are often "repairable" with tape.

In fact, my first single rotor RTF heli came with unbalanced blades, which I did not figure out until after it had shaken the swashplate apart instead of taking-off.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ
... It is not difficult. I took twenty minutes to do it, but I was teaching myself the method and going slowly.
Yesterday I did your procedure and also cleaned the gear

WOW what a difference thanks for the tip
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Medium luck

I bought 4 white & 4 orange GWS mQx props from Goodluckbuy at the start of the month and they came in today.
The 4 white props ended-up as 4 gray props. Not ideal, but okay.
The 4 orange props are all EP5443R (no EP5443), so I only have orange props that turn in 1 direction. Not okay.
I will see what emailing them will result in.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
I bought 4 white & 4 orange GWS mQx props from Goodluckbuy at the start of the month and they came in today.
The 4 orange props are all EP5443R (no EP5443), so I only have orange props that turn in 1 direction. Not okay.
I have heard that Skype is the only way that GLB ("Goodluckrefund") has responded to customers in the past!

I have just received the second batch of these props I've ordered from them, with similar results. The order was for Orange, and White props, but I received Orange, and Black, and out of those, almost all of the bearing spacer collars had been damaged during shipping. They always seem to shove as much stuff in the tiniest box they can find.

I'm starting to have my doubts that the White props even exist at this point.... When I talked to the GWS/US rep. he said he didn't think he would be getting any of the White props, and his tone suggested that he wasn't even aware of such a product. Additionally I have never seen color blends by GWS props other than Black, Grey, and Orange, so White would be a new, and exclusive color for these props (correct me if I'm wrong). Another notable fact is that GLB has had many products with incorrect, or absent product descriptions.

This is not the first time I have been disappointed with a shipment from them, but with the money I have saved over the span of all of my purchases, my lesson not to deal with them is still not paid-in-full, so I can still afford to gamble on them a little more in the future (some guys just never learn huh? ).
Heli-Yeah! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...The 4 orange props are all EP5443R (no EP5443), so I only have orange props that turn in 1 direction. Not okay.
At this point, I am looking to get 2 orange EP5443 props from somebody who has 1 or 2 to spare.
I can either pay for them, or trade with 2 new-in-the-bag orange EP5443R props.
Mailing would be to eastern U.S.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried To buy these props. The "R" ones seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I googled it and still can't find a source.

Anyone have any ideas?
E-Flite Blade CX2 THRASHER! Xtreme 180 SE Motors, Xtreme Blades, Xtreme Alum Blade Grips, Xtreme Extended Alum Head, Derelin Shaft Gears, BoomTown Unbreakable Skids, Boomtown Short Flybar Kit, Microheli Alum/Fiber Frame, Various Tailbooms, E-flite Alum Swashplate, E-flite Alum Lower Head, Titanium/Velcro Batt Tray for EASY CG Adjustment, SMC 800mah 22C Lipo Packs
fmicmatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicmatt View Post
I tried To buy these props. The "R" ones seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I googled it and still can't find a source.

Anyone have any ideas?
Other than lots of 100 props, the only place that I know of to buy these props is from GoodLuckBuy.

Their webpage says 5443:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gws-gw-ep...r-2-pair-.html

but they are actually selling 2 pairs (2 CW & 2 CCW props) for US$5.55:
"GWS GW/EP5443 137*109mm Propeller Blade CW&CCW for Multicopter Quadcopter (2-Pair)"

so 5443R's are not mentioned explicitly, but are part of the deal.

In my case, I got my gray blades correctly (well white became gray),
but all 4 orange blades were 5443R's.
I am in email conversation with them to remedy this.

They mention white blades as an option, but I am not sure they actually have white blades (they do have a light gray).
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally ordered Oct. 1 and arrived Oct. 26 (missing some orange props)..
It took several emails, including one to what turns out to be a dead email account, plus some emailed pictures,
but the missing props arrived on Dec. 04.

I put on 4 GWS props: 3 seemed balanced, one needed balancing with tape.
So far flown indoors: compared to stock, more altitude drift and more 'cyclic' drift and response (I needed to lower rates and add expo).

In some not too careful testing, current draw seems similar to stock:
WOT stock test in June (~65 degrees F) with a near full Hyperion 1s550mAh: 3.1A peak, 11W peak.
Similar WOT GWS test in Dec (~45 degrees F, motors now a little older and 1 replaced): 2.9A peak, 10W peak.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

Banggood is now starting to carrying these props and I got some coming my way.

Orange, Grey and Black.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Gw...r-p-59945.html

I just noticed they said stock will arrive in 15 days. Whatever that means.

On the other forum, people have reported good result with them...just like the OP. So good find and thanks for sharing.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I notice that Advantage Hobby (https://ibm.biz/BdxyAR) says they will have GWS blades in stock by January 10

GWSEP5443CH Gray https://ibm.biz/BdxyAD
GWSEP5443DH Black https://ibm.biz/BdxyAx
GWSEP5443OH Orange https://ibm.biz/BdxyAd
GWSEP5443WH "White" https://ibm.biz/BdxyAc

From reading this thread, I'm trying to determine if these blades are worth the trouble. I'm still not clear as to what's required to install them properly. (I'm OK with having to balance them first.)

If I do decide to try them, I'll feel more comfortable purchasing them from a US reseller.

Last edited by lmcwilli; 12-28-2012 at 06:18 AM..
lmcwilli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in