Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setting Up SX with JR 9503 TX

Anyone using this TX and setup their SX unit with it? I am using a DX7 now but am going to start using my 9503 and just wanted to know if anyone has this setup?
I am really interested in setting up the bail out and self level to the switches I want to use.
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well what switches do you want to use. Do you pinch and use a tray. Switch selection is very limited on the 9303/9505 so you may have to do some serious mods especialy if you are a thumber and hold the tx with your hands.
I use a 9303 in a tray and I use aux2/ Up is self level, middle is rigid and down is captain rescue, I have a piece of silicon tubing between the gimble housing and aux2 in middle position so when I pull the switch down for captain rescue it springs right back to middle rigid mode, just like a momentary switch. White gorilla glue sticks to silicon and you only need a few drops My middle finger is alway's on that switch when I fly. Here is a close up pic of aux 2 with the silicone tube mod to make it momentary between middle and down position, Works like a charm Moved my flightmode switch to left top of tx and gear is the tailgyro gain with a multipoint mix so I can have different gains for different flightmodes. Switches from left to right on face of tx are flightmode blue, gear red with up position rate mode and down heading hold with gains selected by flightmode, Aux2= SL, rigid and Captain recue red and lastly throttle hold,blue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0896.jpg
Views:	2743
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	374074   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0894.jpg
Views:	3159
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	374075  
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok cool I am curious why you didn't use the trainer switch as your Capt. Rescue? It seems loke the natural one to use.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Ok cool I am curious why you didn't use the trainer switch as your Capt. Rescue? It seems loke the natural one to use.
Basicaly because there is no way to assign it or mix it to do so. As I stated switch assigment is limited as is switch mapping in the mixes Trainer switch is not listed in any mixes or switch assignment. Some have soldered the gear switch wires to the trainer switch or other serious mods but this leaves you with only rigid and captain rescue (no sl). As I pinch and fly in a tray what I have works perfect for me as my middle fingers and finger next to pinky are always on all switches on the top face of tx
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Scott,

If you were to get rid of the 9303, what would be your new transmitter of choice to control the HC3-SX?

Is there a TX that has all the right controls?

John
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

for me I plan on getting a jetti dc-16 tray radio for all my new heli builds and will install sticks with 3 position switch on top of one stick for flightmodes and one stick with push button momentary on top for captain rescue. Switch assignment and mapping/mixing is virtualy unlimited on this new glorius radio and all kinds of momentary 2 and 3 way and spring loaded switches etc can be purchased and installed anywhere on this radio easily. The radio is 100 percent customizable for you!! Thumbers may want to use the ds-16. I however plan on keeping my 9303 for bind and fly stuff and a few helis that I do not wish to remove spektrum sats/rx's from and buy jetti rx's for. I am liking the way my 9303 is set up now so much I am in no hurry to do this however.

PS I would bet that you see a lot more guy's transitioning to pinching and flying with a tray just for switching convienence with all the new features we will be getting on fbl units such as gps, return to home etc etc. Why fumble for a switch when it can be right at your finger tips and anywhere you want it LOL!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My future radio of choice would be the Jeti DS-16 (its the version that is still getting FCC certified but is not a tray radio... Oh, and I pinch the sticks too). Lightyears ahead of anything else. PERIOD

But... My 8FG does everything imaginable for the HC3sX. No mods needed, just program and fly.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
My future radio of choice would be the Jeti DS-16 (its the version that is still getting FCC certified but is not a tray radio... Oh, and I pinch the sticks too). Lightyears ahead of anything else. PERIOD

But... My 8FG does everything imaginable for the HC3sX. No mods needed, just program and fly.
Yap! when I do go dc -16 I will probably fly pinch with thumb, first finger and middle finger on the sticks! even more comfy for me than having to rest middle finger and finger next to pinky on switches. All needed switches for flightmodes and bailout will be on top of the sticks and I control even more precisely with the two fingers and thumb on the stick LOL! A ds-16 in a tray could be an option also but leaning towards the dc.

Edit- I have considered the spektrum dx10T tray radio but being that it is the same price as the jetti dc-16 currently is and has nowhere near the functionality and tailoring capabilities I have crossed it of my wish list. if the price came down a lot on the dx10T I would consider it, but at the current price for a dx10T the jetti at the same price just blows the dx10T out of the water LOL!

Last edited by scott s; 12-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the DSX9 which is the X9303 which is essentially a 9503 so can comment here.

You can mix the trainer switch for Capt Rescue but it is flick on then flick again for off which is annoying.

I ended up soldering directly to the gear switch and having the Gear channel for Capt Rescue. Means I can use either the gear switch or trainer. It's very easy to solder.

7HV ULT TracX | 550U TracX | DX9
NZ Heli thread - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=480630
Magnazan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnazan View Post
I have the DSX9 which is the X9303 which is essentially a 9503 so can comment here.

You can mix the trainer switch for Capt Rescue but it is flick on then flick again for off which is annoying.

I ended up soldering directly to the gear switch and having the Gear channel for Capt Rescue. Means I can use either the gear switch or trainer. It's very easy to solder.
Please provide more details.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Please provide more details.
I can give you the details of using one of the standard mix screens 3 thru 6 to do this but it is FAR from ideal and you sacrifice a lot more than you gain IMO and why I did not mention it in my other posts. Either way you still will only end up with rigid and captain rescue as there is no way to map the switch to work as a "3 way" in conjuntion with another switch. So if you want self level along with rigid and captain rescue you will need to use aux 2. I suppose you could move aux2 to wherever you want it and use the silicon tube trick to make captain rescue momentary.
As far as soldering the timer to gear the other poster will have to chime back in. I know how to do it but since I havent actualy performed the task I will let experience speak as to the how it is done,
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geez... Sounds complicated.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one mix which will allow you do everything. Gimme some time and I'll try and document it tonight it's not too complicated.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, excluding the Jeti and DX10, what else is out there that can meet our needs.

I've got a 9503 and a DX8, but I don't think either will do the trick easily.

Any higher end JR or Spektrum candidates?

John
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Switch the wiring around, inside the transmitter and you can then assign the mix to the trainer switch to control rescue

See

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...highlight=9503

Of course it means you aren't likely to use this radio for buddy boxing, but so what?

Takes less time than you think,
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know what to tell ya. 8FG rocks it pretty darn good. Easily programmable and has room to do even more.

There's some dude on YouTube who even has vids posted on how to setup an HC3sX with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgraveyard View Post
Switch the wiring around, inside the transmitter and you can then assign the mix to the trainer switch to control rescue

See

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...highlight=9503

Of course it means you aren't likely to use this radio for buddy boxing, but so what?

Takes less time than you think,
;
I don.t get it. Why not just move aux 2 on the jr9303/9503 to the location you want. Example,you hold the tx and would like bailout where stock throttle hold is on the right side very top back of tx (not face) then swap aux 2 and throttle hold and use the silicon tubing trick I have in this thread to make the switch momentary between captain rescue and rigid, trust me it works like a charm! No soldering needed LOL! and you can assign throttle hold to rudder dr switch or aileron dr switch or just leave it stock where aux 2 was. Thumbers will prefer rudder dr switch for sure. Much easier programming this way also! and you get self level, rigid, and captain rescue all in one convenient place.
If you do not want to glue the silicon tube in place you could use a stick on tie wrap type cable clamp and tie wrap the silicon tube to it and stick it on with some good 3m 4011, There was not enough room on the face of my 9303 for the tie wrap base where I have mine so I white gorilla glued it with just a few drops as the stuff expands. Piece of cake

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now if you decide to use aux 2 for your horizon mode switch you will not be able to use the gyro screen with the 9303/9503 for your tail gain (it works on aux2 channel 7). So inhibit the gyro screen and of course use the gear channel for tail gain (channel 5). You can still have different tail gains for each flightmode headspeed by following the pdf below which I prefer way better than assigning the gear as govornor and doing tail gain that way. Plus you gain a rate mode option to center your tail slider after carrying to flight line or switching to rate mode for tail rod adjustment or certain maneuvers that rate mode excells on. Forget the title as this works great with hc3sx and all fbl units with sats or fullsize rx. Also do not inhibit aux 2 as the screen shot shows in the pdf as you need it for horizon !!!
PS a value of 42 as shown in the pdf will give a value of 42 in the software bar for tail gain channel as long as your endpoints are tweaked to give 100% on the bar as you do with the others. 50 will be 50. negative 50 will be ratemode negative 50 etc

Attached Files9303_mixing.pdf (208.1 KB, 311 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finishing adding this to my Blog so doing a direct post in here:

Hope this helps.

Configuring Horizon and Bailout for the HC3-SX on a DSX9/X9303

It’s is a guide on how to setup the Horizon (self leveling) and Bailout (Captain rescue) so you can use both modes.

Now on my radio I have soldered the Trainer switch internally to the Gear switch so I can use a momentary switch for the bailout, rather than on/off with the Gear switch.

There is a guide to this already and it’s very simple for anyone with some soldering skills. Checkout this link -http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=nz

So whether you've done the soldering or not is personal choice and the rest of the guide doesn’t require it.

1. Firstly setup your HC3-SX gains for both head and tail. Get the model flying as you want before going any further. Also setup the Horizon mode settings there are plenty of guides on this.
2. Next you’ll need to hook up the HC3-SX to your computer and head over to the RC Tab menu and switch the Tail Gyro channel to channel 8 so it doesn’t get used and allows us to do some mixing.
3. Now change the Head Gyro channel to channel 5 which will mean it is now assigned to the Gear switch.
4. Once done go to the diagnose tab where we can see what’s going on with our head gains.
5. On your radio head in to the ATV/endpoint menu and then the Gear channel.
6. Before making and changes make sure your switch positions on the radio are set. I set all mine to up.
7. Now head to the Diagnose tab and watch the Horizon channel
8. In your radio set the Gear + Number to 50% and the - Number to 100%
9. Next change the Aux2 + Number to 70% and the - Number to 55%. This will be used in our mixing shortly.
10. You are now done in the ATV/Travel endpoint page on your radio
11. Head to Prog.Mix1 in the radio
12. Enable the mix and set it to Aux2->Gear
13. Make sure SW Select is On
14. In the Curve set Point 0 to 0, Point 3 to -60 and Point 6 to -100

Now on the diagnose tab if all is well you should see the Horizon channel with all switches up at 0. If you move the Gear switch down it should drop to -125 which will enable Capt Rescue.

Flick all switches back up so Horizon is at 0 again and then move the Aux 2 Switch down one place and you should see +20 on the Horizon channel. This will give you Self Leveling. If you switch Aux 2 down to the bottom it should go to +50 in Horizon mode.

Finally Whilst in either Horizon mode 0, 20 or 50 enable Captain Rescue by flicking the Gear switch down and it should drop to -100 (depending on which horizon mode you are in) and Captain rescue will be enabled.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott and Magnazan... Great work!

Tags
jr9503 and hc3sx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in