Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question New Protos Build Questions

Fellow Heli-Freaks,
I apologize for this rather long post, but I have some important considerations to cover. So, I figured I would come to the experts.

I am rather new to the hobby and still very at flying the 130x that I currently have. Although, I have found that I am very good at working on the many fixes required to get the 130x right. I have even become the 130x mechanic of my coworker who got me started in the hobby. Unlike myself, he is a rather seasoned pilot, flying his LOGO 800 at the ball-field of the college where we both work. So, I figured we could help each other out.

Recently, my wife made the mistake of asking me what I want for Christmas and I thought for awhile, ultimately deciding it would be fun to start a Protos 500 FBL build. I already have a simulator and a DX6i remote so this seemed to be a good move.

I am going to be purchasing the bare-bone (MSH51102) kit initially. Although, I am a bit confused about purchasing priorities going forward. I downloaded, both the Protos and Mini Protos manuals from MSH's main site and while reviewing the documentation, I noticed that the Mini Protos appears to include FB and FBL parts, while the Protos 500 only had FB. If this is the case then additionally I would need to add a $50 (MSH51115) FBL or the (MSH51335) Lowered FBL kit. (To be used with the stretch kit ONLY)

I imagine I will end up going the stretch direction based on what I have read, or is this not worth the extra expense? In other words, should I just invest in the electronics and blades to get it flying. I am really not stressed to get it in the air since I have the 130x to fly. The other question I have is whether or not it make more sense to go with a Mini-Protos? I was thinking the 500 would be more stable, providing some variance of flight characteristics from what I have now.
Since I am new I can only speculate, but my understanding is that the 130x flys similarly to a 450.

Thanks in advance, my Protos Feaks,

Collin
loknar28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Colin,

I have both the Mini-P and the Protos (and getting a 130X for Christmas) - I would be very surprised if the 130 flies like the M-P but I'll let you know. Both the Protos and M-P are very very good fliers, both very fast and nimble. The Protos flies a lot bigge rthan teh M-P and needs a lot more space.

The Protos is naturally a bit more expensive to fit out and repair (even though the kit price is similar), but servos are more, batteries are more, blades are a lot more - so crash costs are naturally quite a lot more.

To my mind a lot of it is dependent upon the space that you have available - the Protos is very fast and would work much better at a "proper" flying field, whereas the M-P works much better in smaller spaces.

Either way - you won't be disappointed.

Mike
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar28 View Post
...I noticed that the Mini Protos appears to include FB and FBL parts, while the Protos 500 only had FB. If this is the case then additionally I would need to add a $50 (MSH51115) FBL or the (MSH51335) Lowered FBL kit. (To be used with the stretch kit ONLY) ...
Congrats on the pending Protos!

Yeah, MSH says not to use the low hub unless you're stretched, and they don't recommend stretching plastic frames

If you do go FBL, it requires the 51115 kit, whether you go with the 51335 low FBL hub or not - the lowered hub kit by itself isn't a complete FBL conversion kit.

MSH Protos, Gaui X3, Shendrones Tweaker 180, T-Rex 450 Sport, X-Cell 60 Custom, Kavan Jet Ranger...
prillernut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prillernut View Post
Congrats on the pending Protos!

Yeah, MSH says not to use the low hub unless you're stretched, and they don't recommend stretching plastic frames

If you do go FBL, it requires the 51115 kit, whether you go with the 51335 low FBL hub or not - the lowered hub kit by itself isn't a complete FBL conversion kit.
the

This is not accurate info. The low fbl hub kit is complete except for needing to purchase msh51119 which is just the long fbl spindle (feathering shaft) and thick spacers. You do not need anything from the msh51115 fbl conversion kit for standard head.

msh51335 low head, http://helidirect.com/msh51335-low-f...os-p-24771.hdx

msh51119 fbl spindle, this picture does not show the thick spindle spacers but they do come with it. I am looking at an unopened package right at the moment LOL! http://www.helidirect.com/msh51119-m...os-p-22879.hdx
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
the

This is not accurate info. The low fbl hub kit is complete except for needing to purchase msh51119 which is just the long fbl spindle (feathering shaft) and thick spacers. You do not need anything from the msh51115 fbl conversion kit for standard head.

msh51335 low head, http://helidirect.com/msh51335-low-f...os-p-24771.hdx

msh51119 fbl spindle, this picture does not show the thick spindle spacers but they do come with it. I am looking at an unopened package right at the moment LOL! http://www.helidirect.com/msh51119-m...os-p-22879.hdx
you don't use the longer swash balls for the low hub?

MSH Protos, Gaui X3, Shendrones Tweaker 180, T-Rex 450 Sport, X-Cell 60 Custom, Kavan Jet Ranger...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
you don't use the longer swash balls for the low hub?
Not sure you meant swash or the long grip balls so OOPS, yes but they are available seperately. You don't need to buy the standard head fbl conversion kit msh51115 that you said to get those. here they are! You get

msh51118 fbl long grip balls, http://www.msh-direct.com/products/f...-msh51118.html

And here are the long fbl swash balls that you may or may not need depending on your fbl controler and servos. For more cyclic you would use the short standard ones in the kit but best to have both on hand
http://www.msh-direct.com/products/f...-msh51120.html

Last edited by scott s; 12-20-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good luck with the Protos. What a great machine!

A very nice place to view other folks' heli setups is at Helifleet. Here's a link to the Carbon Protos setups they have listed.

http://www.helifleet.com/msh-protos-carbon/i84

I have found that viewing the various combinations of components used by people, who are no doubt more experienced than I, has helped me in my own configuration decisions.
west5500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
OOPS, yes but thy are available seperately. You don't need to buy the standard head fbl conversion kit msh51115 that you said to get those. here they are!

msh51118 fbl long grip balls, http://www.msh-direct.com/products/f...-msh51118.html
Thanks for the confirmation I really am surprised that MSH has never come out with a simple single sheet of info for either their FBL or low head kits, like they did with the thrusted tail rotor -

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would have gone with the full kit, its great value compared to buying the same parts extra. The electronics in the full kit are all you will need for quite some time, only updates are to experiment, you wont get much better performance.
Only reason I see to go barebones is if you already have an ESC that you want to use, im guessing since you only have a 130X, you dont have a 60+ amp ESC laying around...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation I really am surprised that MSH has never come out with a simple single sheet of info for either their FBL or low head kits, like they did with the thrusted tail rotor -
I agree 100%, msh helis are great but msh documentation is for the birds and I could think of a better word to use LOL!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk View Post
I would have gone with the full kit, its great value compared to buying the same parts extra.
You did read the part in my post about this being a Christmas present from my wife, right? LOL, she would kill me if I spent $450 in one shot.. I have to space it out a little at a time. ;-)
Also, while I have read several posts regarding the value of the complete set, I am curious to spend some more time researching the build, that's half the fun.
By the way, I got a really good deal on the Protos 500 barebones kit today. It was $225 at amainhobbies.com. Since then it appears it has been removed from the site. Not back ordered, but gone, part number search comes up empty for MSH51102.
Oh, and I did add the strtch kit with the SAB blades included. That put me over the $250 needed to use the $25 off coupon.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post

To my mind a lot of it is dependent upon the space that you have available - the Protos is very fast and would work much better at a "proper" flying field, whereas the M-P works much better in smaller spaces.

Mike
I suppose the best way to give you an idea of the flying location would be to share some of the footage my coworker shot from his LOGO XTREEM 800.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar28 View Post
You did read the part in my post about this being a Christmas present from my wife, right? LOL, she would kill me if I spent $450 in one shot.. I have to space it out a little at a time. ;-)
Oh, budgets, I often forget about them, sorry, haha.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej

Mike

I believe there is an actual flying field close by. I am not sure of the details for this group however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in