Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Trekker has new life. :)

Over the last few days, I have been tweaking the performance of the Vbar's built in governor using the inexpensive HobbyWing RPM sensor. The difference is night and day. Having a governor that is predictive as opposed to reactive has brought new life to this bird.

It is amazing that a $3.50 part can have such an impact on an 800 class heli. It holds headspeed extremely well through out the flight. Flying in scale mode and turning down wind with very little altitude loss was a big surprise. Coming out of big air loops without the headspeed ramping up and down is finally possible.

I became curious about the Vbar's governor after building and setting up a Logo 700 Xxtreme. The YGE + the Vbar governor turned out to be a great combination and I was hoping to somehow utilize the Vbar's built in governor in the Trekker.

Turns out, all you need is a $3.50 RPM sensor and a Castle ESC firmware upgrade. Do a little tuning and you'll have a different flying bird in no time.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very interesting

Last edited by hidaven; 01-07-2013 at 08:19 AM..
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm really not sure. The HeliCommand will have to have a built in governor, and I didn't see that option listed on their site.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is gain setting in the vbar
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu66ie View Post
Over the last few days, I have been tweaking the performance of the Vbar's built in governor using the inexpensive...
Great stuff, Don! Thank you for sharing! I'll add this to the HeliBuilder file!!
ALIGN T-REX 450 PRO DFC
HeliGriff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Great stuff, Don! Thank you for sharing! I'll add this to the HeliBuilder file!!
Curious.. Why the V-Bar or HobbyWing Gov over Castle's ESC Gov? .. or am I talking apples and oranges? Educate us, please.
ALIGN T-REX 450 PRO DFC
HeliGriff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Russ! I appreciate it...

Dino, not sure what gain you are asking for so here are all of them.

In scale mode (normal) the headspeed is 1280, the governor gain is 40, run-up speed is 3, collective add is 25, cyclic add is 20, collective dynamic is 25, gyro gain is 112, cyclic gain is 90.

In 3D mode (idle 2) the headspeed is 1953/1995, the governor gain is 50, run-up speed is 5, collective add is 30, cyclic add is 30, collective dynamic is 35, gyro gain is 115, cyclic gain is 70.

This is the way I understand it and I guess it makes sense, at least to me.

First, the $3.50 HobbyWing RPM sensor apparently is the only sensor that works with Vbar.

The Castle governor does the best it can because it is "reactive" in nature. Having to guess most of the time, always playing catch up to the collective/cyclic input. The Vbar governor is "predictive", it knows exactly where the stick positions are all of the time. And being it is tapped into the motor wires, sensing the pulses, it is able to add power when it senses collective or cyclic inputs, these settings are adjustable. This makes for a very responsive power system. You do loose about 15 seconds of flight as it uses more power during the flight which is to be expected.

The Trekker feels and sounds like a different bird now. From floating on 1280 RPM to a zippy 2000 RPM. One nice thing is you change headspeed from the transmitter and can see the rpm requested in the Vbar software. It is even linked to the bank switching feature so you get to set up three different governor settings for each flight mode. I use three modes, scale, sport and 3D, and each has it's own independent heli setup from the ground up.

It does have a few minor quirks. One was disarming bailout after landing. Not really a problem but another procedure to learn because my collective stick springs to center. I got by that by setting up a throttle cut switch to use after landing. Once it spools down, flip TH on and lower the collective for a second and it's asleep.

The bailout takes about 14 seconds to actually arm, according to the graph in the software. You can adjust the spool up rate which is utilized until bailout arms. The bailout is very stable, responsive and smooth with absolutely no tail movement. TH can even be set to a set RPM so the blades never stop as long as you have motor power of course. This is said to stop the spikes in current when bailing out.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu66ie View Post
Thanks Russ! I appreciate it...
The Castle governor does the best it can because it is "reactive" in nature. Having to guess most of the time, always playing catch up to the collective/cyclic input. The Vbar governor is "predictive", it knows exactly where the stick positions are all of the time. And being it is tapped into the motor wires, sensing the pulses, it is able to add power when it senses collective or cyclic inputs, these settings are adjustable. This makes for a very responsive power system. You do loose about 15 seconds of flight as it uses more power during the flight which is to be expected.
If you had a Kontronik ESC you would also notice a massive differance. The V-Bar is arguably the best govenor out there (There are other RPM sensors that work with the V-Bar govenor but not sure about working with the castle ESC and the V-Bar govenor) but the Kontronik govenor is very very close (Some would say better). The Castle govenor just isn't that good.

It would be interesting for somebody to take all of the Align stuff off one of these Trekkers and throw the higher quality stuff on it (Kontronik or YGE ESC, Scorp or Kontronik motor, V-Bar and Futaba servos)

Of course that kind of defeats the reason to get a Trekker in the first place (For that kind of outlay just get the Mikado XX and be done with it)
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
castle, governor, hobbywing, trekker, vbar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in