Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #361 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

now I'am really impressed

you should sell this little thing

looking forward to see the coolest BLHeliBox out there working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #362 (permalink)
Registered Users

Soon there will be a BL heli app that hooks up to the ESC on a wireless signal. You guys are nuts. Blows my mind what you guys come up with.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #363 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
now I'am really impressed

you should sell this little thing

looking forward to see the coolest BLHeliBox out there working...
THX Olli, a realy good work need a good box, lol.

The prob is, that i have to cover the inside with liquid plastik, because the contacts from the board touch the metal and so it does not work. but when i got a working one i will tell.

Then everybody can buy one, lol
www.rc-tt.de
nimic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #364 (permalink)
Registered Users

update to include BLHeli Rev9.3: http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/
Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #365 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default owSilProg v0.09/BLHeliTool v0.08

here it comes, a further new feature for convenniently flashing Silabs ESCs with sskaug's BLHeli firmware,

the multiple ESC capability of owSilProg/BLHeliTool

I am sure you were not waiting for it, but I am also sure that once you've used it you wouldn't want to miss it .

I have extended owSilProg to enable it to handle up to 8 (eight!) ESCs with one programmer. That is, an Arduino loaded with the novel owSilProg fimrware v0.09 basically provides 8 programmers to you. This allows convennient functions for all those running a double-BL conversion of a micro heli. It needs only one plug on the heli, hence less weight, potentially simplified wiring, and in particular easier handling. Access both your main and tail parameters with just one click of a combo box.

You'll find the firmware on the project web page www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/#firmware

It provides some further improvements in that it is more robust towards error conditions and is about a factor of two faster. Please note that, although I have tested and used it quite a bit, it is still assigned as beta. Hopefully better descriptions will appear ASAP.

Olli

PS: the photo shows my application to a double brushless conversion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P10609314rcg.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	374479  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #366 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sweet man!
1blahblah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #367 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Realy nice work Olli!!!
www.rc-tt.de
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #368 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good Work OlliW !

Thanks for posting , Super cool ! :-)
copperclad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #369 (permalink)
Registered Users

what the heck is this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060961_4hf.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	376023  
Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #370 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
what the heck is this...
Guess, something, that needs a lot of soldering work

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #371 (permalink)
Registered Users

... BLHeliBox No. 5

actually, it should rather be called ArduBox...
since it's using an Arduino it provides everything an Arduino provides, it's hence a box shield, which provides the diplay, joystick keys, power source selector, plus extension ports to add on further diy shields, it's hence quite felxible and usable for any kind of box project

unfortunately, I made some few mistakes in the layout, which can be dealt with easily, but aren't nice... hence a new layout is in the making...

BTW, the costs: 1x Ardunio Nano $11, 1x nokia5110 module <$5, 1x joystick, pinheaders, resistors, diode <$5, 1x print board set $5.50 (I don't etch myself anymore) = ca. $26

EDIT: if anyone within Europe wants one of the leftover print boards, I'll give them away for free...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060984_4hf.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	376080   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060992_4hf.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	376081  
Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #372 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Guess, something, that needs a lot of soldering work
ha, this, sir, depends a lot on your preferences

since it's only very simple soldering it's a 15 min job and thus nothing I myself would call a lot of soldering work... but others may disagree
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #373 (permalink)
Registered Users

although interest in this project has declined considerably over here, I nevertheless give the latest update

owSilProg/BLHeliTool/BLHeliBox has advanced to version 1.0X, and today v20130120 was released

the major advancements are
- the multiple esc feature is fully implemented and supported, also by the BLHeliBox
- AvrBurnTool has been structured projects oriented, which simplifies the making of a owSilProg programmer significantly
- the tutorials have been fully adapted to the new version
- the COM port communication is now fully compliant with Windows and related errors should be gone
- the delay synchronisation has been improved significantly and in most cases in fact avoids a delay at all (saving about 3 sec)
- flash has been further optimized resulting in a significant speed up (to 6 sec for a flash)
- the ArduBox v0.10 has "officially" been introduced, which allows to build a little cute BLHeliBox

http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/

PS: print boards for the ArduBox can also be obtained from Michael alias nimic (at least for Europe based folks), luckily he threw in his cnc capabilities to produce them by insulate milling, see here

Last edited by OlliW; 01-21-2013 at 08:29 AM..
OlliW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #374 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default owSilProg goes Bluetooth

Hey folks,

finally, programming and flashing Silabs ESC works also wireless via Bluetooth.

My first efforts some months back didn't had been succesful (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...42#post4103242). Anyhow, few weeks ago I went back to this seriously, but kind of the first thing I did was to kill my bluetooth module... so, I ordered a new one which came yesterday, and then things went surprisingly simple. I didn't had to do much, the latest versions of owSilProg and BLHeliTool are perfectly capable of also handling the communication via bluetooth!

(I guess an important point in the game is also that in the meantime I switched from Win XP to Win 7, and Win 7 does handle BT a bit differently, and in our case to our advantage; the bottomline is that I don't know if it's working on XP)

Attached below you'll find a picture of my first working test setup. I'll used an Arduino Pro Min (3.3V/8MHz), since the bluetooth module didn't wanted to &quot;override&quot; the signals from the USB-serial adapters on normal Arduino boards (a driver might do it though). For the BT I used the bluetooth-serial module everyone is using for this purpose. Especially I got the JY-MCU with voltage regulator
(possible sources: http://dx.com/p/jy-mcu-arduino-bluet...=1&s=&u=104299, http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OU:DE:3160)

The installation at the moment has to follow some steps, but you can count on that I will work on simplifying it.

1) Installation of BT module on Win7 follow exactly this description here (up to the point there teraterm is involved): http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/blueto...ule-connection

2) Test proper communication between PC and Bluetooth device for that the BT module is powered, and the Rx and Tx pins are connected, such that any transmitted character is "reflected back". The communicationis doen using a terminal program. for some reasons I don't understand I couldn't use the BrayTerminal, which I packed into the owSilPorg package. Use an other terminal program (e.g. TeraTerm, HTerm,...). I used puttytel.exe (is just an .exe file, doesn't need any installation), which I got from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html. The test itself is then done as described here: http://www.hobbyist.co.nz/?q=bluetooth-module-device (it shows it for putty, but I used puttytel, which has exactly the same dialog).

3) Configure Bluetooth device for that the BT module is connected via a standard USB-serial adapter to the PC. You need again a terminal program. This time Bray's Terminal worked perfectly, so I used it. You have to configure teh BT module by sending various AT commands (for the AT commands see e.g. http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...ooth+Telemetry)
- set Baudrate 9600, 8,1,N
- send AT -> recieve OK
- send AT+VERSION -> recieve OKlinvorV1.5
- send AT+BAUD6 -> recieve OK38400
- switch to Baudrate 38400 - send AT -> recieve OK

4) Finish BT-owSilProg programmer connect the Arduino Pro Mini to the PC using an USB-serial adapter, and flash the appropriate owsilprog hex file into the Arduino Pro Mini. You can use AvrBurnTool for that, with the settings 'Arduino general', 'Arduino @ 57600bps', COM port as approriate, and 'ATmega328p'

5) Connect BT module and Arduino Pro Mini and enjoy all owSilProg/BLHeliTool features wirelessly...

Have fun, Olli
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	owsilprog-bluetooth-programmer-01-4hf.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	388865  
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #375 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default owSilProg: AVR-alternative to Silabs toolstick, BLHeliTool, BLHeliBox

Quote:
Hey folks,

finally, programming and flashing Silabs ESC works also wireless via Bluetooth.

My first efforts some months back didn't had been succesful (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...42#post4103242). Anyhow, few weeks ago I went back to this seriously, but kind of the first thing I did was to kill my bluetooth module... so, I ordered a new one which came yesterday, and then things went surprisingly simple. I didn't had to do much, the latest versions of owSilProg and BLHeliTool are perfectly capable of also handling the communication via bluetooth!

(I guess an important point in the game is also that in the meantime I switched from Win XP to Win 7, and Win 7 does handle BT a bit differently, and in our case to our advantage; the bottomline is that I don't know if it's working on XP)

Attached below you'll find a picture of my first working test setup. I'll used an Arduino Pro Min (3.3V/8MHz), since the bluetooth module didn't wanted to &quot;override&quot; the signals from the USB-serial adapters on normal Arduino boards (a driver might do it though). For the BT I used the bluetooth-serial module everyone is using for this purpose. Especially I got the JY-MCU with voltage regulator
(possible sources: http://dx.com/p/jy-mcu-arduino-bluet...=1&s=&u=104299, http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OU:DE:3160)

The installation at the moment has to follow some steps, but you can count on that I will work on simplifying it.

1) Installation of BT module on Win7 follow exactly this description here (up to the point there teraterm is involved): http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/blueto...ule-connection

2) Test proper communication between PC and Bluetooth device for that the BT module is powered, and the Rx and Tx pins are connected, such that any transmitted character is "reflected back". The communicationis doen using a terminal program. for some reasons I don't understand I couldn't use the BrayTerminal, which I packed into the owSilPorg package. Use an other terminal program (e.g. TeraTerm, HTerm,...). I used puttytel.exe (is just an .exe file, doesn't need any installation), which I got from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html. The test itself is then done as described here: http://www.hobbyist.co.nz/?q=bluetooth-module-device (it shows it for putty, but I used puttytel, which has exactly the same dialog).

3) Configure Bluetooth device for that the BT module is connected via a standard USB-serial adapter to the PC. You need again a terminal program. This time Bray's Terminal worked perfectly, so I used it. You have to configure teh BT module by sending various AT commands (for the AT commands see e.g. http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...ooth+Telemetry)
- set Baudrate 9600, 8,1,N
- send AT -> recieve OK
- send AT+VERSION -> recieve OKlinvorV1.5
- send AT+BAUD6 -> recieve OK38400
- switch to Baudrate 38400 - send AT -> recieve OK

4) Finish BT-owSilProg programmer connect the Arduino Pro Mini to the PC using an USB-serial adapter, and flash the appropriate owsilprog hex file into the Arduino Pro Mini. You can use AvrBurnTool for that, with the settings 'Arduino general', 'Arduino @ 57600bps', COM port as approriate, and 'ATmega328p'

5) Connect BT module and Arduino Pro Mini and enjoy all owSilProg/BLHeliTool features wirelessly...

Have fun, Olli
Hi Olli.

I don't use any of your work, yet. But I do follow your thread and appreciate it.

That would be all, thanks.
Kendo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #376 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi
I always keep my eye on this and use alot.

Phil
SadSack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #377 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, it does also work with using e.g. an Arduino Nano (need still to test an Uno)

For configuring the Bluetooth module (using the AT commands), one has to connect the Rx on the BT module with Rx on teh Nano, and Tx on the BT module with Tx on the Nano

BT <-> Nano
Rx <-> Rx
Tx <-> Tx

One then can start the terminal (e.g. Bray Terminal), connect with the COM port which is related to the Nano (not that related to the BT module), and HOLD DOWN THE RESET KEY on the Nano while one is sending the AT commands to the BT module.

For using the BT module as a substitute of the USB connection when running the Nano as an owSilProg programmer (flashing/configuring BLHeli via PC), one has to connect the Rx on the BT module with Tx on teh Nano, and Tx on the BT module with Rx on the Nano

BT <-> Nano
Rx <-> Tx
Tx <-> Rx

With the USB disconnected, the Arduino Nano + BT module works perfectly as wireless programmer, also with the USB conncted and teh BT module disconnected thinsg (obviously work). Only with both the USB and BT module connected, communication doesn't (yet) work.

EDIT: as so often the solution is simple, one just has to insert a diode (e.g. 1n4148) inbetween the BT-Tx and Nano-Rx line, see the attached scheme. With that one can communicate with the Nano via the USB as well as via the BT module (which one is used is determined by which COM port one connects to)... of course using only USB (with the BT module detached) or only BT (with USB detached) works as well. So, every possible mode works with that. And it works of course also with the Uno.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	owsilprog-bluetooth-programmer-scheme01-01-4hf.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	389202  

Last edited by OlliW; 01-29-2013 at 04:34 PM..
OlliW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #378 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Olli, thats a great work I will order an BT-Module to try ....
www.rc-tt.de
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #379 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default v20130204

The next significant firmware update for the owSilProg/BLHeliTool/BLHeliBox project

owSilProg v1.10
BLHeliTool v1.02
BLHeliBox v1.10
AvrBurnTool v1.01
ArduBox v0.12

the major improvements concern a full AND easy bluetooth support. The BLHeliTool has now integrated a tool I called BTConfigTool, which allows a fully automatic in-situ configuration of your BT module. That is, you connect your BT module and Arduino as shown in the scheme in the second-last post once and for all, no resoldering etc needed, and the BT module can be configured then with one hit on a button... you won't believe how easy this usually daunting task has become... (the technique might be interesting also for the multiwii guys). The COM port selection fields in BLHeliTool do now also display the device type (serial, VCP, USB, bthmodem, etc...) to simplify identifaction of the ports. The ArduBox layout has been improved to support easy installation of a BT module.

release v20130204
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #380 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BlheliBox always " write Failed"

I have a problem with my BlHeliBox i built a couple of days ago . It appears to work perfecly in most circumstances except:- when i wish to change parameters and press the button in "Write to BESC?" "yes" it always comes back as "write FAILED".The interesting thing is that the changes have actually been written to the besc. (tried two differrent Turnigy Plush and both are successfully reflashed perfectly. Many times!!).

I have spent a lot of time searching for an answer. .the only two suggestion were a problem of component tolerance on the LCD shield not being matched to the code ?? and the other was verify not write error.(this was the same problem but on a TDLX BlHeliBox)

The box started out as option 2 with an Arduino UNO R3 , pushbutton LCD and voltage boost ( all from HK). I have since dispensed with the voltage boster and tried it with various other voltage inputs including 2s lipo through Vin, but nothing changed. . I've also tried using the bec connections from various terminals on the UNO and the LCD shield . Allchange the parameters succefully but no change still "write FAILED".

Ive noticed with the Turnigy 12A besc multi there is a differrence between the BlHelibox "startup power 1.0" reads only " 0.5" on the BlHelitool.

any ideas Roy.

PS. Ive really enjoyed being able to flashe my Turnigy escs which i useon all my multicopters. Its well worth it ,the "p" and "i" values are greatly increasesd.
royotr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in