Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't concluded this test up to now. I really wanted to get some difinitive results and find what the exact problem with resonance was. I'm confident I've found the problem which was simple in the end. And the solution has yielded an amazing 5 mins 40 sec flight tiime

All I did was reduce the rpm until it flew perfect. I ended up with a 5 point throttle curve as follows 31 , 26 , 20 , 26 , 31 .

I know that looks crazy but the rpm is still high, the esc is cold at the end, as is the motor so it obviously has no issues with such a low throttle curve.

Flight performance is very crisp and responsive with very good punch out right up until the esc pulses for low voltage.

all tests done wiith hyperion 240 mah, 7 tooth pinion, walkera WKLT 10 esc.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should mention that after 10 flights at this throttle setting there was no wear on the new main gear either so . . . . happy days.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does this mean you have no plans to build a Minius?

*pouts*

mnem
They build 'em. Somebody's gotta fly 'em.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont feel its needed now for this set up. I built a semi Minius last year by fixing the Mini CP skids and battery tray to a broken Genius frame with good results. However, I found a few downsides to the Minius design.
The maingear does not fully pop off the main shaft and is a pain to refit. The RX tray is not protected by the Genius battery tray in front collisions.
I found the better CoG of the Minius actually worked against the Genius flight characteristics, the Genius swash sits level if the CoG is quite far forward so the Minius weight distribution means the swash is now leaning forward quite a lot to maintian level trim and so has less available travel before swash binding in forward flips.
Piros are perhaps more static with the minius but I found I lost the Genius' ability for very fast forward flight with little stick input and it needed a lot more persuasion to go into funnels

Its great to not have to remove the canopy between batteries with the minius though.
I also use a small piece of double sided foam to stick the RX tray to the battery tray with my Genius as I find it makes it handle a little crisper and that was lost with the minius too.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a chance to really stretch its legs at our local indoor club on Sunday, I waited until everyone stopped for tea and biscuits so I had the whole hall, I and a few others were quite amazed at the sheer speed of this heli with the HK14000KV motor. We like to have races along the length of the hall with a stall turn at either end and the vertical portion with my Genius is very impressive. It almost caught me out a few times with the ceiling getting rather close to the extent I had to level off and use negative pitch to stop it climbing. I didn't try any flips or loops as I have new set of shiny blades on and an uncracked canopy which look very nice thankyou.

It feels as if it has the same ability as my Gaui 200, as in you look at a space in the air and the heli is there in a flash. I do feel it would be better with an esc with governer though as I'm having to run a V throttle curve as flat is simply too much for the gyros. the slight lag this causes is probably loosing me some pop around center stick. Maybe some different blades would help but I hate the way KBDD blades bend up at the tips and like the shiny black of the stock.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

This week in "sunny" Hastings the weather finally cleared, bright and clear skies and no bloody snow for a change. This meant the Genius with HK14000 motor got let off its leash, the wind was gusting a little but that doesn't bother the stock Genius so with its much higher head speed this little motor was even more precise in flight and hover and high speed passes downwind required little pitch correction.
Vertical climbout was rapid and flips were pretty stationary with no bogging. Did a few quite slow ( for a small heli ) loops and didn't even have to cheat and use negative pitch at the top. That's the extent of my acrobatic skills but I was very impressed nonetheless.

Flight times dropped to 5.10 mins with agressive flying which is very impressive still.

And for those that are concerned with tail blowout, there is none, nada, zilch.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

That' nice. I haven't flown my Mini in 3 months. Still waiting for some good backyard flying weather.

Are you using the standard 61 teeth main gear? ChineseJade has a 64t (like on the Genius) white main gear with big strong teeth, just like stock. I'm thiking about ordering a couple. This is all because my motor sits a bit too close to the servos, since my frame is kinda busted lol. Anyway I have a replacement frame and will swap this out at some point then we'll see.
sbstnp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
That' nice. I haven't flown my Mini in 3 months. Still waiting for some good backyard flying weather.

Are you using the standard 61 teeth main gear? ChineseJade has a 64t (like on the Genius) white main gear with big strong teeth, just like stock. I'm thiking about ordering a couple. This is all because my motor sits a bit too close to the servos, since my frame is kinda busted lol. Anyway I have a replacement frame and will swap this out at some point then we'll see.

I have it installed on a genius and use the stock genius main gear. I had issues initially with wear but since taming the headspeed somewhat that problem has gone. I'm pretty sure the 61 teeth Mini gear will not work as well as the 64 Genius gear.

That's very interesting what you say about Chinesejade. It will be worth trying just to compare it for smoothness against the stock genius gear. I'll give one a try soon and will also try a metal head as any increase in smoothness will allow a higher headspeed.

I wouldnt worry about the weather unless its raining. The Genius can handle 15 - 20 mph with ease. Although I dont do cold fingers either.

Allan
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool

This otta be good!

I also purchased a main gear from oomodel the gear is white also and seems a bit thicker and is all disk meaning they did not cut any holes into it to save for weight, it also could be made of delrin. It should be heavier than stock but by what I can not venture a guess so anybody that get's one of these please weigh them and post the results! That would be really cool
The gear was made by a company named DragonSky.

The metal head please weigh also and post results also if you could that would be really interesting data and mucho appreciated.
Really looking forward to your find!
Thanks
Surfer
SurferOfTheSkys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

well I just direct soldered the motor and esc and shaved 2 whole grams. Couldn't discern a difference in duration or flight so I'm sure it could take a gram or 2 added.

I've just ordered the white gear from chinese jade. Lets check out oomodel now then. Thanks for the heads up on those gears guys. If I can get just a smidgen more smoothness I think 6000 rpm will be possible lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
... If I can get just a smidgen more smoothness I think 6000 rpm will be possible lol.
Do you intend to fly it or make Margaritas with it?

mnem
I recommend carbon fiber main blades; they hold up better shaving ice.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm , margaritas.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 64 tooth white main gears from Chinese jade arrived yesterday. They are 2 mm thick and slip straight on, but they are very tight and will not slip off in a crash I feel. Not too worried about that as smoothness is alll I require, however the two I tried had a noticeable tight spot that introduced an unacceptable primary vibration to the main shaft that just tied my Gyros in knots using the HK14000 motor. I'll stick to stock for now but tell me how those oomodel gears work out.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

gears from oomodel were cancelled due to none in stock. maybe get some later, waiting on a report from someone who actually got some.lol
SurferOfTheSkys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm waiting for some gears from oomodel too, but my order is neither shipped nor canceled yet, been like this for a week already. I guess I'll have to throw them an email.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think its oomodel that are quite slow in their deliveries, but its usually free shipping which is great.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered before from them and usually they would send the parcel out in 2-3 days. I guess this has something to do with stock.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

The supplied screws with this motor aren't quite long enough, both my holes stripped today so I tnoticed the stock motor screws are slightly longer, I tried them on the HK14000 and there was still enough thread to grip the longer screws in the motors base.

So I think it's best to use the stock motor srews from the outset and avoid any damage.

Over a 100 flights now with this motor and it still has the WOW factor every flight. Gave it to someone at the indoor club to do some craziness with and he said it was more fun than his 130X.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 14000kv is almost touching the servo case, and since OOModel doesn't have those gears in stock I ended up ordering some from CJ. They en-route atm, I hope I'll get them next week.

My current frame is *very* beat up and I probably need to redo this bird, but I didn't feel like it lately I'm having too much fun with my 2S V120 and my planes. Planes are actually nice if powered correctly (spoiled by helicopters) and cost peanuts to maintain.

But now I will rebuild the Mini I kinda miss it and WTH I have all the parts in my box.

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your using it in a Mini CP aren't you? So if you use the larger GCP main gear it will move it away from the servo, and also keeping it as it is with it that close will probably stop you using a 7 tooth pinio too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in