Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Default New firmware for Koby ESC's V1.008 - Now safe for use with Scorpion 2520!!

For those of you that have a Kontronik Koby ESC. If you wanted to try the Scorpion 2520 motor but were afraid to try due to reports of ESC failure you are in luck! Kontronic just released a firmware update V1.008 that fixes the issue with ESC failure on startup. You must have a Progdisk to update the firmware.

Jason
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can that statement be made for the New motor can with Koby too ?

One very awesome guy here is lending me his Progdisc to update my Koby. And then I will may be install the new can too.. .Should I ?
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I'm no expert but based on this thread...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=520266

...from a couple weeks ago, I would infer that the 1.08 update is optional with the older Compass can but prudent to apply in the case of the replacement can or current production.

I didn't know the HK-2520-1360 shared the same issues as a "new can" Compass but it seems reasonable - specs look similar if not identical.

I didn't think I had much of a choice since I had a Koby 1.07 and "new can" Compass. I harbor a guilty secret of wondering if I would have preferred the "sack full of ball bearings tossed in a wood chipper" start up / spool down of the old can but I don't have the option. Mine, alas, will merely be quiet and work as intended.

At the end of the day, 1.08 won't hurt unless you get hit with one of those North Texas tornadoes in the middle of the process. You don't even need to invoke the "Nintendo game controller" mode of the Progdisc unless you want to mess about with other Koby settings.

I tried to go directly from update to programming and it fussed at me - just like the manual said it would - it has to be disconnected from the PC to use Nintendo mode.

Since you're going to have 1.08 anyway you'll have your choice of cans.

...that didn't sound right, now did it?

The only other random observation I would offer is that the Progdisc comes with a USB cable that's actually long enough to be usable with an installed ESC - not the 2" long version provided with a FBL controller I won't name. Little things like that impress me.

Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New firmware for Koby ESC's V1.008 - Now safe for use with Scorpion 2520!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post
I'm no expert but based on this thread...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=520266

...from a couple weeks ago, I would infer that the 1.08 update is optional with the older Compass can but prudent to apply in the case of the replacement can or current production.

I didn't know the HK-2520-1360 shared the same issues as a "new can" Compass but it seems reasonable - specs look similar if not identical.

I didn't think I had much of a choice since I had a Koby 1.07 and "new can" Compass. I harbor a guilty secret of wondering if I would have preferred the "sack full of ball bearings tossed in a wood chipper" start up / spool down of the old can but I don't have the option. Mine, alas, will merely be quiet and work as intended.

At the end of the day, 1.08 won't hurt unless you get hit with one of those North Texas tornadoes in the middle of the process. You don't even need to invoke the "Nintendo game controller" mode of the Progdisc unless you want to mess about with other Koby settings.

I tried to go directly from update to programming and it fussed at me - just like the manual said it would - it has to be disconnected from the PC to use Nintendo mode.

Since you're going to have 1.08 anyway you'll have your choice of cans.

...that didn't sound right, now did it?

The only other random observation I would offer is that the Progdisc comes with a USB cable that's actually long enough to be usable with an installed ESC - not the 2" long version provided with a FBL controller I won't name. Little things like that impress me.

So your saying I can get my mates prog disc, and simply plug it into my koby and update the firmware without the need to stand on one leg while holding said disc on its head?

Great.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
So your saying I can get my mates prog disc, and simply plug it into my koby and update the firmware without the need to stand on one leg while holding said disc on its head?

Great.
Pretty much.

I plugged in the USB, soldered a connector to the Koby, connected the Koby to the Progdisc, plugged in the battery and stuff pretty much started happening on its own once I clicked on the 1.08 executable.

I had personal reasons to invoke the game controller mode for BEC output but that is, I would guess, mostly optional.

Or, not to put too fine a point on it, why would you not update the ESC if you have an easy way of doing so? I personally wouldn't buy a Progdisc for the Koby 55 but it was already on hand for a Kosmik 200.

Retroactive purchase justification - gotta love it.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post

Retroactive purchase justification - gotta love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in