Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #661 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hate the grass stains on the white tail and blades... So I blacked it out. Other than that, it's bone stock and I love it.
BigJay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #662 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
Wife is talking about getting me a Airbrush set up. But that a lot of money and we don't have any area in house to do it.

As far as speed? It helps I don't work and can putts around on it all day when I'm not working out.
An airbrush setup can be very simple and pretty affordable. No need for mineral spirits the best paint out there is waterbased these days. Wicked colors by Createx are really easy to use and just water clean up. Rinsing your brush with brush cleaner when done is always good practice. No harmful fumes. I paint in a really small area like a small card table in the corner. That still may be to large for ya since I don't know your place.

A great place to get an affordable compressor is Harbor Freight. That is all that I use and it was like $70. My airbrush is an Iwata HP-BS but you can get an airbrush at Harbor Freight too. Another good place to order from is Coastal Airbrush. They have great combo deals. I just wanted to offer up some of my tips.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #663 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the Testors Aztek chrome airbrush w/ the wood box, and their electric compressor. The kit came with 9 different attachable nozzles.

It's good to know about not needing mineral water for cleaning up water-based paints. I was just figuring to be on the safe side. At the minimum, I'll use rubbing alcohol as a final quick clean-up though.

Have you heard of Spaz Stix paint? I've used all sorts of different paints, and they make some cool color-changing products.

I'm going to need to mix up my artwork design with both the airbrush and Kolinsky sables.
dragnse7en is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #664 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
An airbrush setup can be very simple and pretty affordable. No need for mineral spirits the best paint out there is waterbased these days. Wicked colors by Createx are really easy to use and just water clean up. Rinsing your brush with brush cleaner when done is always good practice. No harmful fumes. I paint in a really small area like a small card table in the corner. That still may be to large for ya since I don't know your place.

A great place to get an affordable compressor is Harbor Freight. That is all that I use and it was like $70. My airbrush is an Iwata HP-BS but you can get an airbrush at Harbor Freight too. Another good place to order from is Coastal Airbrush. They have great combo deals. I just wanted to offer up some of my tips.
I may be getting a set up sooner than I thought.
RichKnapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #665 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I may be getting a set up sooner than I thought.
A good Airbrush kit, with an air compressor, shouldn't break the bank over $200.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #666 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post

I hate the grass stains on the white tail and blades... So I blacked it out. Other than that, it's bone stock and I love it.
Looking good. I just ordered this canopy along with a set of yellow tail blades. I might black out the skids and tail feathers on mine too.
r/cdawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #667 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Looking good. I just ordered this canopy along with a set of yellow tail blades. I might black out the skids and tail feathers on mine too.
Yellow tail blades sound cool. They're from the 450 3D right?

Not copying you, but I just ordered the black tail rotor blades, black LG, and black fins. And, yes, I got the smokey canopy just like you. Stay tuned!

But - with the REVO blades heh 31 flights with zero issues OMG Punch me in the head please - I must be dreaming!

They needed zero balancing straight out of the box! yay!!!!!

Who else hates the blue canopy?!?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #668 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
You made my day! Your 450X looks beautiful. . .. .
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #669 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
A good Airbrush kit, with an air compressor, shouldn't break the bank over $200.
I need to make adjustments down the road, but here is CopterGuys new rebuild beater Mini Titan canopy I did for him.
Start

Finished 2 days work. Next rebuild I'm going to take my time and longer. (windshield just laying on for pic's)

Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #670 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I need to make adjustments down the road, but here is CopterGuys new rebuild beater Mini Titan canopy I did for him.
Start

Finished 2 days work. Next rebuild I'm going to take my time and longer. (windshield just laying on for pic's)

Fantastic rebuild! What did you do to replace the bad parts?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #671 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A combination of 9958 broke main blades and old supplement container plastic.
CA glue.
IF some one ever wants me to rebuild again I'm going to play with mine on crack fillers, decal material (if I don't have a airbrush yet) and such. This turned out great from few feet away but I see flaw's in it and some things weren't clear compatible and made small flaw's. But just as flying it has a learning curve. Its not like old school auto body work.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #672 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A combination of 9958 broke main blades and old supplement container plastic.
CA glue.
IF some one ever wants me to rebuild again I'm going to play with mine on crack fillers, decal material (if I don't have a airbrush yet) and such. This turned out great from few feet away but I see flaw's in it and some things weren't clear compatible and made small flaw's. But just as flying it has a learning curve. Its not like old school auto body work.
You still did a great job Rich. Don't slap yourself; it looks great! Most of us would scrap a lid just for getting scratches on it lol!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #673 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wife snapped these today.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #674 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a vid of first flight coming later. I did my first Auto Rotation landing.

Lost orientation and then there was this. Don't know if I'll fly there any more unless NO one is there. Watching for kids is to distracting. We were at a schools back field area doing testing.
1 hour to rebuild most parts wise. Need a main gear, main shaft and servo gears to get in the air yet, but boom, feathering shaft, servo linkage already done. Looks worse than it truly was. I'll work on the canopy this week. That's pretty cracked up even though it don't look like it.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #675 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man - that completely sucks! I can relate when you're talking about people coming inside the flight area. I had a single mom and her son playing catch with baseball gloves right in the middle of a flight session. Needless to say, I went from confident to nervous right away.

If I crash like that, I'll just pick up a 450 3D as a core replacement, and transfer the main motor, AR72000BX, and FBL head and FBL main blades into the replacement model, and go from there, especially now that they're cheaper than the mCP X BL.

Did you crack its airframe?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #676 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking stay with it..

Rich, see if you can find a local flying field to join. Should be some privacy there to fly and more than likely, nice guys to give you some pointers. I myself would NEVER fly around other people with a 450 size. The liability factor is HUGE. People (kids) are incredibly interested in RC anything..and don't realize how dangerous it could potentially be. Im a safety nerd as I seen my father take off 2 of his knuckles with a heli when I was smaller. Be careful and don't give up....we all crash. Try and keep it close (less than 50ft away) tail in for a while. Till you get "the feel" of the bigger machine. Keep at it buddy, I know youll get it. Its a great feeling when it all finally comes together! I have a feeling it will be a great summer for you bud...KEEP IT UP!
Too many to list.........
GravityBlows is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #677 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
Oh man - that completely sucks! I can relate when you're talking about people coming inside the flight area. I had a single mom and her son playing catch with baseball gloves right in the middle of a flight session. Needless to say, I went from confident to nervous right away.

If I crash like that, I'll just pick up a 450 3D as a core replacement, and transfer the main motor, AR72000BX, and FBL head and FBL main blades into the replacement model, and go from there, especially now that they're cheaper than the mCP X BL.

Did you crack its airframe?
This looks worse than it was. I have it all fixed but the main gear and main shaft plus servo gears. I need to order them. Very cheep crash.
Lost a ball link arm (had parts to build one), stripped 2 servos gears (order them), main blades (have 2 more balance pairs), boom (had 2 more), feathering shaft (had a spare), main gear (order them), main shaft (order them).

Canopy? rebuild.
Landing gear- fine
frame- fine
everything from frame back other than boom- fine
blade grips- fine
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #678 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityBlows View Post
Rich, see if you can find a local flying field to join. Should be some privacy there to fly and more than likely, nice guys to give you some pointers. I myself would NEVER fly around other people with a 450 size. The liability factor is HUGE. People (kids) are incredibly interested in RC anything..and don't realize how dangerous it could potentially be. Im a safety nerd as I seen my father take off 2 of his knuckles with a heli when I was smaller. Be careful and don't give up....we all crash. Try and keep it close (less than 50ft away) tail in for a while. Till you get "the feel" of the bigger machine. Keep at it buddy, I know youll get it. Its a great feeling when it all finally comes together! I have a feeling it will be a great summer for you bud...KEEP IT UP!
Thanks G/B
We were the only ones there at first other than baseball practice on the next field behind us.
I wasn't any closer than 50' from the little boy or CopterGuy even though it looks closer. I don't like flying like that myself. I have 2 another sites with more room and no moving targets. We only went there because of all the rain and the other places being soggy for my chair. I have them very small thin wheels for on stage.

This was a exception. We wanted a morning test flight seen as we both just rebuild our heli's, before going up to Green Bay to fly. This area was only 5 mins from our houses as far as going home for any tweaks that needed to be off the field and at home, before heading up to Green Bay.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #679 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityBlows View Post
Yeah, I hear yah. Guilty as charged. I fly my 450X inches away from my face at eyeball level. Dumb, or insane - yes to both. I guess the battlefield in Iraq made me fearless.

No, matter - after looking up an AMA membership, I need to bring everything back on point and tighten up things.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #680 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This looks worse than it was. I have it all fixed but the main gear and main shaft plus servo gears. I need to order them. Very cheep crash.
Lost a ball link arm (had parts to build one), stripped 2 servos gears (order them), main blades (have 2 more balance pairs), boom (had 2 more), feathering shaft (had a spare), main gear (order them), main shaft (order them).

Canopy? rebuild.
Landing gear- fine
frame- fine
everything from frame back other than boom- fine
blade grips- fine
Awesome Rich - the back of the tail looked bad - glad to hear that you can rebuild that sweet bird of yours. I'm kinda, in a way, glad I don't have a wife anymore. After taking pics, she'd laugh at me all the way home - and laugh at me many weeks later . . .

BTW - I subbed you on your youtube page hoss!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in