Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Using the DS-16 with a sim

I'm using an RSat2 to connect my DC16 with the Reflex Sim. It works perfectly. From what I know it should also work with Phonix. O had to do some soldering.

Martyn
realloser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess you could always tap the +5V from the USB port to power the receiver. That requires some more modification on the Phoenix cable, though.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best of luck to you guys!

Personally I can't see tearing apart a dongle or running wires out of my DS-16 for a flight simulator.

I think it is still handy to be able to plug my dongle into my 11X or even DX8.

If I go on a trip with my laptop. I would much prefer to risk a cheap transmitter than to take my DS-16 with me.

When I have visitors over who have an interest, I let them fly with one of my other TX's. Then I let them fly my mCPX with the other transmitter.

Now that I have my gimbals canted, they are customized for me and not as good to just hand to someone else.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post

Personally I can't see tearing apart a dongle or running wires out of my DS-16 for a flight simulator.

If I go on a trip with my laptop. I would much prefer to risk a cheap transmitter than to take my DS-16 with me.

When I have visitors over who have an interest, I let them fly with one of my other TX's. Then I let them fly my mCPX with the other transmitter.

Now that I have my gimbals canted, they are customized for me and not as good to just hand to someone else.
+1 and +2

Especially those used to yank the controls on the Xbox or playstation
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The point here is to have a wireless sim option without having to buy a simstick. No way I'll have wires coming out of my DS-16. Never said anything like that.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thinking about a connector wire to be plugged into the dongle (just a femal connector and on the other end the servo plug). That way the simstick can be avoided and we still have the wireless option. I have to see if I can get an extension wire..
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
The point here is to have a wireless sim option without having to buy a simstick. No way I'll have wires coming out of my DS-16. Never said anything like that.
No wire is great, I can vouch to that. My Aerofly works perfectly with my DC-16 wirelessly and the USB connector that they sell.

Good luck on your quest
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I have no plans to tear anything apart. The difference with the Jeti Rxs is that it outputs PPM already so you don't need a converter to change S Bus to PPM like you do with Futaba, or a bunch of wires going from an older Rx to the sim stick.

If I ever get my radio I'll build one and post a picture. It will just be the female stereo jack plugged into a Rx, and I will just power the Rx using the Jeti USB adapter more than likely.
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedRaptor77 View Post

If I ever get my radio I'll build one and post a picture. It will just be the female stereo jack plugged into a Rx
That's exactly what I made yesterday. I guess a picture would have been good. Traveling now.

Anyway... Will try with PPM whenever my radio shows up.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have no plans to tear anything apart. The difference with the Jeti Rxs is that it outputs PPM already so you don't need a converter to change S Bus to PPM like you do with Futaba, or a bunch of wires going from an older Rx to the sim stick.

If I ever get my radio I'll build one and post a picture. It will just be the female stereo jack plugged into a Rx, and I will just power the Rx using the Jeti USB adapter more than likely.
That makes a lot more sense.

So a mini or 1/8" female stereo jack soldered to a 3 wire Servo connector connected to Port 1 or Sat port depending on 3.10 and earlier or 3.11 and later.

Very nice. So is this PPM Positive or PPM Negative?

I assume that I could plug this in and use my voltmeter to figure out Power and Gnd, leaving the last section for data.

I have a Servo Wire crimping toolset which takes care of half of this equation although you could just use another servo wire and cut one end off.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...its/ck_drcck1/

So then you would just need one of these for about $2.
Plug the dongle into the female end and solder your 3 servo wires to the exposed sections. and try to tidy things up a bit.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That makes a lot more sense.

So a mini or 1/8" female stereo jack soldered to a 3 wire Servo connector connected to Port 1 or Sat port depending on 3.10 and earlier or 3.11 and later.

Very nice. So is this PPM Positive or PPM Negative?

I assume that I could plug this in and use my voltmeter to figure out Power and Gnd, leaving the last section for data.

I have a Servo Wire crimping toolset which takes care of half of this equation although you could just use another servo wire and cut one end off.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...its/ck_drcck1/

So then you would just need one of these for about $2.
Plug the dongle into the female end and solder your 3 servo wires to the exposed sections. and try to tidy things up a bit.

This is the idea and I believe it is PPM positive. The power method to the Rx is all that is left. Either Jeti USB adapter or a battery pack. The tip of the stereo jack is the PPM signal. If you get the one in the picture you posted you should be able to just strip the wires and install the servo plug.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is the idea and I believe it is PPM positive. The power method to the Rx is all that is left. Either Jeti USB adapter or a battery pack. The tip of the stereo jack is the PPM signal. If you get the one in the picture you posted you should be able to just strip the wires and install the servo plug.
Yup!

And if all goes well, much cheaper than simstick for those of us that don't already own any.

Hopefully standard PPM stays as an option for this purpose. Even with EX-bus gaining more traction...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotto View Post
I guess you could always tap the +5V from the USB port to power the receiver. That requires some more modification on the Phoenix cable, though.
Good idea, but the circuit board appears to be completely covered in some kind of rock hard corrosion preventative compound. So if I went this route I'd have to splice the USB wire itself.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If the 1/8" plug is not carrying a Pwr and Gnd, then you end up needing a second USB plug like the kind used to charge your Cell phone, Ipad, Kindle etc.. etc... etc...

The problem is that you end up exchanging one mess for another.

At that point I'm fine with $55 for a simstick.

This isn't cost effective for me to build and unless it is something I want to do for the sheer enjoyment value of it and this doesn't hit any buttons for me, I'll be happy with my prepackaged simstick even if all it is doing is powering my receiver.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Following this, it seems that now it is more of a challenge than a cost driven quest
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stupid easy option is to cut the Phoenix cord and just install a male and female servo connector on the existing cord.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If the 1/8" plug is not carrying a Pwr and Gnd, then you end up needing a second USB plug like the kind used to charge your Cell phone, Ipad, Kindle etc.. etc... etc...

The problem is that you end up exchanging one mess for another.

At that point I'm fine with $55 for a simstick.

This isn't cost effective for me to build and unless it is something I want to do for the sheer enjoyment value of it and this doesn't hit any buttons for me, I'll be happy with my prepackaged simstick even if all it is doing is powering my receiver.
True the power was not run on the 3rd wire of the stereo plug wire when I took the Phoenix adapter apart. Still not worth $60 for me LOL, and like I said I already have the Jeti USB adapter to power the Rx.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Stupid easy option is to cut the Phoenix cord and just install a male and female servo connector on the existing cord.
I had two adapters to plug onto the Phoenix chord, so my pref was to mutilate one of those rather than the sim chord itself.

Either way, you can use mine since you'll have the darn radio in a few days and I won't. (Whaaaaaaa!!!)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
Either way, you can use mine since you'll have the darn radio in a few days and I won't. (Whaaaaaaa!!!)
I'll believe it when I see the tracking #. LOL
Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the easiest way is to get a simstick and a rsat2?
Plug the sim stick into the PC, rsat2 into the sim stick and your done, phoenix working.

How does the simstick go with compatibility?
I tried a HK sim cable, it worked a couple times, but then I kept getting "This cable is not Genunine" error from phoenix.
I even get that error with my genuine cable sometimes too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in