Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Moving in the ball vs reprogramming the servo arm deflection.

Would reprogramming the rudder servo to have reduced defection work better than moving the ball in? The goal of moving in the ball is increased control resolution which comes at the expense of rudder speed. It seems to me that reprogramming the servo's deflection range would increase resolution without sacrificing speed.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It is really a balancing point. There is also a trade off in torque. Moving the ball in decreases mechanical gain which will allow you to increase electronic gain.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure which you're referring to, exactly, by "reprogramming the servo's deflection range would increase resolution without sacrificing speed".

The servo's resolution is fixed. Adjusting stuff on the radio/FBL will never increase the servos resolution. Let's assume the servo has 360 rotation steps for 180° of rotation, 1 step = 1/2°.

So if you simply reduce your servo travel, with the ball out far on the horn, you will have:

- Low resolution (to exaggerate, say your used servo travel is only 50 steps). At some point, you will start getting "grainy" tail response, where even small servo changes start approaching wag.
- High speed
- Low torque/force

With high speed and low force, if your tail takes very little force to change pitch while spooled up (or if your servo just has a lot of torque), you will get very quick response.

If you move the ball in closer on the horn, you will have:

- High resolution (again, to exaggerate, maybe your used servo travel is 200 steps)
- Low speed
- High torque/force

The servo can now make finer adjustments to your tail pitch. You will sacrifice response speed on paper, but if your tail requires a lot of force to change pitch, or if your servo is light on torque, you can actually get quicker real-world response. It has more force available to actually make the pitch slider move quickly.

As gothicbunny concisely said, it's a trade-off, there is a happy medium to be found. Some heli's list suggested servo-ball distances. Some FBL systems will also suggest that your FBL tail endpoints be between a certain range, to help ensure that the required amount of servo response plays nicely with their control loops.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post

The servo's resolution is fixed. Adjusting stuff on the radio/FBL will never increase the servos resolution.
That's not what I meant. Some servos like Hyperions and some Hitecs are programmable. You can change things like deadband and deflection by hooking the servo up to a programming box.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry, I misunderstood

At some point, you will run into the limits of what the potentiometers can distinguish, for tiny movements (related to the # of degrees per increment of rotation). But I don't know whether the servos are already at that limit with a full range of travel.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Limiting servo's won't gain resolution, It just sets a limit inside the servo electronics, the same way you set limits in a FBL controller. Like stated above Servo resolution is based on the quality of the Pot and the electronics. Ya get what you pay for.

Now that said, going in on the ball Can make it appear to have better resolution because the ball acctualy travels less per servo 'tick' But yes, speed is affected, lowered, but Tq is increased
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Not sure which you're referring to, exactly, by "reprogramming the servo's deflection range would increase resolution without sacrificing speed".

The servo's resolution is fixed. Adjusting stuff on the radio/FBL will never increase the servos resolution. Let's assume the servo has 360 rotation steps for 180° of rotation, 1 step = 1/2°.

So if you simply reduce your servo travel, with the ball out far on the horn, you will have:

- Low resolution (to exaggerate, say your used servo travel is only 50 steps). At some point, you will start getting "grainy" tail response, where even small servo changes start approaching wag.
- High speed
- Low torque/force

With high speed and low force, if your tail takes very little force to change pitch while spooled up (or if your servo just has a lot of torque), you will get very quick response.

If you move the ball in closer on the horn, you will have:

- High resolution (again, to exaggerate, maybe your used servo travel is 200 steps)
- Low speed
- High torque/force

The servo can now make finer adjustments to your tail pitch. You will sacrifice response speed on paper, but if your tail requires a lot of force to change pitch, or if your servo is light on torque, you can actually get quicker real-world response. It has more force available to actually make the pitch slider move quickly.

As gothicbunny concisely said, it's a trade-off, there is a happy medium to be found. Some heli's list suggested servo-ball distances. Some FBL systems will also suggest that your FBL tail endpoints be between a certain range, to help ensure that the required amount of servo response plays nicely with their control loops.
Nicely explained!

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I wanted to add that you don't want to move the ball in too far or you begin to lose linearity of travel near the ends. Generally you will want no more than 45 degrees travel from center in either direction since this is the point where sine starts to become greater than cosine or some such jibber jabber.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicbunny View Post
I wanted to add that you don't want to move the ball in too far or you begin to lose linearity of travel near the ends. Generally you will want no more than 45 degrees travel from center in either direction since this is the point where sine starts to become greater than cosine or some such jibber jabber.
That's probably why most servos default to 45 degrees deflection from center.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I move the ball towards the fulcrum (in) to reduce travel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in