Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS 60SR

has anyone used this motor

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...icopter-Engine

im asking cause i was thinking of putting it in the TSA 600N. its a 50 size nitro, but the description says it will bolt up in a 50 size.
it mentions "side exhaust" i have never seen that in a description before. is there anything different then any other motor?

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its a standard heli motor with a .50 mount. I have heard they are ok, but not really a whole lot more power than the OS 55.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one in my 600N. It's got a TON of power and it's really easy to tune. Awesome engine!
MikeG4936 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerbmx View Post
Its a standard heli motor with a .50 mount. I have heard they are ok, but not really a whole lot more power than the OS 55.

BUT more powerful ? im just trying to take a 50 size nitro heli and put the biggest, most powerful motor in it without modding anything. basically looking for a drop in. so is a ys60 the one with the most power out of the ".50" size motors we have to choose from? most of us try to stick a monster motor in our electric, so i wana do it with this sucker

Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wasnt saying it wasnt powerful, I was just saying some have claimed it about the same as the OS 55 2.1 hp. I guess when you take it into account, the YS will be cheaper than the $399 OS55 w/ DRS. I am also guessing that with anything, when you increase displacement that you should produce more torque.

I am not down talking it at all, the only reason I have an OS55 w/ regulator is because it came with my used heli. If I ever have to replace the engine, I would get the YS60. The pressurized fuel system is the best setup, and YS has it for a lot cheaper.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I wasnt saying it wasnt powerful, I was just saying some have claimed it about the same as the OS 55 2.1 hp. I guess when you take it into account, the YS will be cheaper than the $399 OS55 w/ DRS. I am also guessing that with anything, when you increase displacement that you should produce more torque.

I am not down talking it at all, the only reason I have an OS55 w/ regulator is because it came with my used heli. If I ever have to replace the engine, I would get the YS60. The pressurized fuel system is the best setup, and YS has it for a lot cheaper.
im somewhat new to all of this nitro stuff, so please clear somethings up for me please. you said the os55 with the regulator, thats the diaphragm thing by the carb correct ? this allows a more consistent fuel flow throughout the flight correct ? the YS60 i listed a link to has the same type of regulator diaphragm thing basically ?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes to both of those. The regulated version uses crank case pressure to keep the fuel tank pressurized. The OS 55 HZ-R comes with it not the standard HZ. It is the little circular diaphragm up by the needles. This type of fuel delivery is new to small OS motors, so the cost is high $399. YS has had this type of fuel delivery for a while and does not charge extra for it. Older muffler style pressure actually pumps corrosive fumes in your tank and lines, so with this closed loop system, expect your fuel line and fuel magnet to last much longer, at least a year between line changes.

In all honesty between the two if I were buying new right now, I would get the YS60. Its a bigger bore and its about $80 cheaper. I have heard YS are a little more difficult to tune but since watching smacktalk nitro episode, nitros are very easy to tune.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The YS60SR is not tough to tune, it's a pretty straightforward running engine that puts out a lot of power. When I dropped mine into a Trex 600N for the first time I couldn't believe the difference... while it didn't have the actual power of a 700 machine, the performance reminded me more of a 700 than a 600... this isn't your father's .50 nitro anymore .

FYI... the descriptions that are listed with engines in general are pretty generic. All heli engines mass produced today are side exhaust. In the past, there were a few rear exhaust, and I actually had a few when I flew Xcells in the 90's... over the years they kind of fell out of favor.

Tom M
exfokkerflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes to both of those. The regulated version uses crank case pressure to keep the fuel tank pressurized. The OS 55 HZ-R comes with it not the standard HZ. It is the little circular diaphragm up by the needles. This type of fuel delivery is new to small OS motors, so the cost is high $399. YS has had this type of fuel delivery for a while and does not charge extra for it. Older muffler style pressure actually pumps corrosive fumes in your tank and lines, so with this closed loop system, expect your fuel line and fuel magnet to last much longer, at least a year between line changes.

In all honesty between the two if I were buying new right now, I would get the YS60. Its a bigger bore and its about $80 cheaper. I have heard YS are a little more difficult to tune but since watching smacktalk nitro episode, nitros are very easy to tune.
you wouldnt happen to have a copy of thatso i could watch it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfokkerflyer View Post
The YS60SR is not tough to tune, it's a pretty straightforward running engine that puts out a lot of power. When I dropped mine into a Trex 600N for the first time I couldn't believe the difference... while it didn't have the actual power of a 700 machine, the performance reminded me more of a 700 than a 600... this isn't your father's .50 nitro anymore .

FYI... the descriptions that are listed with engines in general are pretty generic. All heli engines mass produced today are side exhaust. In the past, there were a few rear exhaust, and I actually had a few when I flew Xcells in the 90's... over the years they kind of fell out of favor.

Tom M
so a "side exhaust" as in the description is just a regular heli motor ? just wanna make sure i get the right motor.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Side exhaust just describes where the exhaust comes out, the side of the engine. To be clear, they are not made in any other way for helicopters at this time. The YS60SR comes one way, and is a drop in fit for any 600N or .50 sized nitro heli. You cannot buy the wrong one, there is only one

Tom M
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind, i just bought the smack talk nitro video. great info in there.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, go to smacktalkrc.com and check out the nitro tuning episode here http://www.smacktalkrc.com/archives/...pisodes/page/4

You have to pay for the episodes, but it's only a couple bucks and you help support these guys doing more episodes.

Tom M
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got finished watching it. Some good info and facts

Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
I just got finished watching it. Some good info and facts
Aside from parts issues, I have heard some at my field say that the Novarossi .57 is very powerful. I don't know anything beyond that. I have had a lot of time on the pump/regulated YS engines and IF you follow the instructions, they are very easy to tune. Same thing I tried to tell people about Fox engines in the '80s.
RC-Bearings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To me the best tuning tip Bert gives is with the tic toc tuning. To me its very easy to gauge rich and lean. Its really made my heli come alive as it was running pretty lean before.

As for the Novarossi, the printed HP is around 2.4 vs the 2.1 in the OS55. That is a pretty good jump up since a standard .50 is making around 1.9 hp. I have considered the Novarossi, but is it a crank case pressure or exhaust pressure? I dont want to go to an exhaust pressure system since they are harder on my lines and fuel magnent.

FrSky Taranis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in