Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

View Poll Results: POLL. Wanted, your experience of the Brain! (the bigger picture)
I won't buy a Brain, I'm too nervous as a result of negative things I've heard/read 9 5.96%
I bought a Brain but it was defective out of the box 9 5.96%
I have 0-10 successful flights on my Brain 20 13.25%
I have 10-50 successful flights on my Brain 49 32.45%
I have 50-100 successful flights on my Brain 27 17.88%
I have 100+ successful flights on my Brain 29 19.21%
My Brain failed and I returned it for a refund 6 3.97%
My brain has NOT failed but I have returned, decommissioned or sold it 3 1.99%
Other. 5 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a IKON V1 mounted to a G500 and a IKON V2 mounted to TREX 450 Pro.

The software is better than most give credit. The SL works once you eliminate the vibes. The G500 can SL all day every day as I have it mounted to the PU gel with the zip tie mod.

Its a different story on the 450 since that torque tube is vibe nightmare. I've been experimenting with different mounting techniques. I found that tape/metal plate/tape then IKON gets me within 3 degrees of center every time. I think the PU gel is next step as I know it works.

The IKON Gov is simply fantastic. I look at it like this, $225 plus $10 PU gel for SL, or $500 for the Demon 3SX with a true bailout. At double the price, they can't be compared.

The Brain/IKON will only get better with time.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one mounted on my velocity 50 and one on my fusion 50. Both units work very well.
Sowa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My learning curve was a bit steeper with this unit than my other ones (other brands).

Chris Sexton and others were incredibly helpful in getting me steered in the right direction.

I have under 10 flights on my Brain, but it is working well, so far.

Although I understand it can be very useful, I have no interest in the Self-Level feature, and have not set it up or tried it at this point.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My Brain (first batch) has worked great since day 1. Love the cyclic feel, crisp collective and good tail. Also love the tuning options and the layout of the PC app. SL is flaky and I had trouble with it in the beginning. After doing the Milton mod, SL has worked reliably. 70+ flights on my Pantera 600.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very easy setup due to the good software and it flies very well, the only thing I've had problems with is SL and that seems to be working alright now with the gel pad mounting. Bluetooth configuration with my tablet is a great bonus too.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default POLL. Wanted, your experience of the Brain! (the bigger picture)

Works great. I have one on my 550 and it feels very locked in. Setup is a breeze although its frustrating there still isn't a proper manual. I had to find out a lot of information for myself from posts on forums like this. Not for the beginner. SL works great if you put the time into making your Heli vibe free
storrm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I set mine up on trex 550 and works great from stock settings my friend also did the same on trex 600,goblin 700 and whiplash and he is also very pleased.

Also self level has been fine a little tricky to setup but once done no problems.

All in all am a big fan
What Goes up, must come down!
Gremlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brain not working (tail servo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sexton View Post
What servo? Brand and model please.
Tail servo is Align DS655, swashplate servos are Align DS615. Just installed Ace RC GT 5.1 which seems to have no problems with this setup.
sami is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

It took a while to maiden my 450 pro v2 TT clone (all bog standard parts) with absolutely no experience as a heli pilot (other than battlefield 3 helis on xbox controls - which does help at FPV) using the MSH Brain being cautious and all with my investment.

I mounted the unit on the side, perpendicular to the main shaft and have not moved it since and faced no problem with SL or vibes even with some of my screws not loctite'd (I know this is a time bomb but I move stuff around regularly). This being said, I can tell you my heli is not the most vibe free but the unit still makes it perform like a champ.

I have since introduced a hobbywing rpm sensor for the brain gov which worked like plug and play (given a jst-xh to servo mod).

Self Level works like a charm and has saved my heli on more than one occasion. I regularly use it to enhance my lacking piloting skills by getting a feel of the general characteristics of the heli in flight - essentially making the heli tame. When I purchased the unit, I was looking for something with SL as I knew friends and family would want to have a go. I can confirm that since the official maiden, I and everybody who has tried to fly it have had no crashes. This is a pretty awesome, well developed unit that you can rely on especially when others (SK 720, HC 3SX) will cost your spare kidney.

As with all other electronic based hobbies, the documentation is not always noob friendly but at least with this unit you have a basic explanation even on the advanced controls interface when you hover your mouse over the field/label.

TL;DR: noob set this unit up and got his noob buddies to fly a cheap clone 450 heli and had no crashes since maiden. Added few extras with very few problems.
Johnny.G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
I have tried to get my Brain working and everything else seems ok, but tail servo is completely dead. I can't get any life to it regardless of Brain settings. Servo works ok connected to receiver. I wrote to MSH requesting help, but got no response from them. I'm afraid my Brain is broken right from the box.
I too purchased one in July and the SRV1 port was dead out of the box. Worked with mtuccio here on the forum to do some tests that ended up confirming it was the brain. Contacted Experience RC where I purchased it and they were easy to work with on getting it replaced. The replacement has been working fine.

Compass Atom 500 FBL stretch, MSH Brain, Spektrum DX8
NC3Z is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi! I have three brains, one on each my three birds, and after some issues in earlier firmeware versions (one caused a crash) I'm really happy with them. Love the cyclic feel, the governor and SL feature.

Regarding with SL, I encountered some dificulties tuning it in my first IKON (well, really, they're XBARs) but, once I learned that the heli must be vibe free AND the IKON must be attached using a good gel sponge, I tuned my two other IKONs and two other IKONs from a friend very, very easily. I always check SL after taking off and before landing in every flight. After several hundred flights, I have had zero SL failures.

Regards.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEMASTER60 View Post
I have two votes. I bought two Brains and the first one works great and have several nice flights with it. It is on my Velocity 50 and is really great. I bought a second Brain to put back on my Trex 600, but it was defective out of the box. I sent it back and plan to sell it when I get a new one. I have since bought 2 HC3SX units and they are amazing. They are pricey, but the Captian Rescue is a work of art. The Brain I have on Velocity flies slightly better than the HC3SX, but I have not had time to tune the HC3SX. So I have replaced one Brain and one Beastx with the HC3SX. Also, I will add that the Brain governor is working very well on the Velocity. The Brain I have is great and is staying on the Velocity

Overall, I think if you get a good working Brain, you will be very pleased with the performance. If you are looking for a self level or bail out, the Brain is not it. The HC3SX makes the Brain bail out look like it was made in the stone age. For the price, the Brain is a very good buy for a FBL unit and the support has been good.

Happy flying
My bail out works awesome sorry you had issues .
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default POLL. Wanted, your experience of the Brain! (the bigger picture)

Was blown away with my Icon maiden flight yesterday. Way better cyclic feel than my ar7200bx. Love it!
Jason Asch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
beastx, brain, msh, poll, vbar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in