Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade A gear, Xtreme B gear mesh ?

I was wondering if I will have any mesh issues with a Blade A gear and an Xtreme B gear? Was not sure if the sets on the gears were the same. I chunked my B gear yesterday and had to order as LHS is out of Blade B gears. As an aside I made a mental note to myself not to try multiple backflips with a bunch of trees around. It also gave me a good chance to order a bunch of stuff I do not really need but wanted. LOL. Thanks.
stablehover is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good question, I never thought of the gear mesh as being a possible issue. I still have a Blade B gear installed, but bought a few Xremes as extras. I hope they will mesh properly when I need them.

I have learned that tree lesson as well. I need to video some time to catch them, but I am sure that when I am plugging the battery into my 130x or mcpx, the branches extend a couple of feet.
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had bad luck with Xtreme 'B' gears and I can only figure it was because I was running them with a Blade metal 'A' gear. I have reverted back to Blade 'B' gears and now have no issues. I have not tried an Xtreme 'A' with an Xtreme 'B' but I would assume (hope) you would see better results than I had.

On the reverse side I am currently running an Xtreme 'A' with a Blade 'B' on one of my 3s birds with no problems. I am starting to see some decent wear on the A but the B looks fine and everything is still running smoothly.
wsntme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsntme View Post
I have had bad luck with Xtreme 'B' gears and I can only figure it was because I was running them with a Blade metal 'A' gear. I have reverted back to Blade 'B' gears and now have no issues. I have not tried an Xtreme 'A' with an Xtreme 'B' but I would assume (hope) you would see better results than I had.

On the reverse side I am currently running an Xtreme 'A' with a Blade 'B' on one of my 3s birds with no problems. I am starting to see some decent wear on the A but the B looks fine and everything is still running smoothly.
My experience is something similar. My Blade B got worn and the LHS was out of it and only had Xtreme B so what the heck. Not a good experience. The mesh seems fine but eventually I see the Xtreme B wearing out quite quickly, weeks compared to months forthe original Blade B. Then on one flight - zip! All the teeth got stripped and I was left with a cylindrical (instead of cone) shaped Xtreme B. And the Blade A was still fine!

I wonder if it's more of different metal / material than the mesh?
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run many goofy combos with gears because I fly 3 130's and have a lot of random crash parts. Currently one has a horizon metal A gear and the xtreme B with nice mesh. Another has a xtreme A with horizon B and my last has horizon A/B.

The metal xtreme uses stands up for me better in crashes. The B gear needs to have a lot of backlash (tail case pulled away from the boom) or it doesn't run smooth. Running the lynx quad tail I strip metal B gears now and break teeth on A gears so I'm going through a lot. So far I have yet to damage the xtreme gears in my recent crashes. That's with plastic C/D by the way. I'd like other companies to make gears but being the size it's not a fun task for them.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
... I'd like other companies to make gears....
There are a few options other than Blade and Xtreme, although some may actually be rebranded versions of the same gears. Microheli now has metal gears for the 130x. tmkarc1hobby has metal gears from ELE, whoever they are. Hawk-RC has metal gears.

Lynx had some in beta test a year ago, but apparently opted to not bring them to market.
Other: Atmel AVR microcontrollers, electronics, 3D printing
helibus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibus View Post
There are a few options other than Blade and Xtreme, although some may actually be rebranded versions of the same gears. Microheli now has metal gears for the 130x. tmkarc1hobby has metal gears from ELE, whoever they are. Hawk-RC has metal gears.

Lynx had some in beta test a year ago, but apparently opted to not bring them to market.
Good to know, I just looked at the microheli one and it looks like a replica of the xtreme completely. I only run metal A/B and wasn't aware of other manufactures making them
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

I've found that you can run an Extreme A with a stock B and have good luck. However, a Blade metal A and Extreme B tends to not work as well.

I usually run all Extreme to avoid headaches. If I do use Blade metal A, I use a blade B with it.

For some reason, havent ever had trouble with mixing tail gears though.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't like to see people having problems but it's nice to read that at least a couple of you have had similar experience with a Blade metal A and Xtreme metal B.....thought maybe I was just being a bit we tod did or something
wsntme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
I've found that you can run an Extreme A with a stock B and have good luck. However, a Blade metal A and Extreme B tends to not work as well.

I usually run all Extreme to avoid headaches. If I do use Blade metal A, I use a blade B with it.

For some reason, havent ever had trouble with mixing tail gears though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsntme View Post
I don't like to see people having problems but it's nice to read that at least a couple of you have had similar experience with a Blade metal A and Xtreme metal B.....thought maybe I was just being a bit we tod did or something
I don't want to upset the heli geimlens saying this but, the horizon metal A gear with xtreme B has been good to me on one of my 3. It was a field repair that seems to be working. It needs a major amount of backlash to work tho vs the horizon B gear that can be run at tighter lash.

It's lame you have to buy the entire gearset from horizon just for the B
Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
I don't want to upset the heli geimlens saying this but, the horizon metal A gear with xtreme B has been good to me on one of my 3. It was a field repair that seems to be working. It needs a major amount of backlash to work tho vs the horizon B gear that can be run at tighter lash.

It's lame you have to buy the entire gearset from horizon just for the B
Agreed, that is why I bought a few extreme B gears. I was annoyed having to pay for a full gearset from Blade, just for the B gear.

On another note, can you explain what you mean by "major amount of backlash"? Are you saying there needs to be more of a gap between the A and B gears?
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Ron, What vtown is saying is that you have to run your gear mesh "loose" to achieve proper mesh. That is for lack of a proper description. So much is involved with gear mash and spacing. I could not even explain it in a forum. It goes on forever starting with tooth pitch, spacing, shimming, floating or fixed, concentrics, angles, if you really want to understand it google gear mesh and settle in for some reading.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj View Post
Agreed, that is why I bought a few extreme B gears. I was annoyed having to pay for a full gearset from Blade, just for the B gear.

On another note, can you explain what you mean by "major amount of backlash"? Are you saying there needs to be more of a gap between the A and B gears?
I run 3-4 shims on the very top main shaft bearing just under the main shaft collar to pull the A gear up tight against the upper bearing race. Then I adjust my tail box depth so I can grab the C gear and push and pull it and see the B gear move in and out. I play with it so I get max movement sliding the C gear fore and aft while the tail is completely assembled. If you run the tail box too far in the TT will push the B gear into the A gear causing a tighter mesh.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So just to make sure I was covered in my original question or post I ordered some Xtreme A's and B's to cover my bases so to speak. For you guys that run the Xtreme A gear should I have any concern about circumference and the elevator servo?

Also for vtown nick do you run an aftermarket metal case? Both my tailcases are stock Blade and they are pretty much impossible to move around. I went back to the stockers after wearing out two LYNX metals. My gear mesh is fine. I do not think I could move my tailcase if I wanted to especially with the LYNX TBSR booms. Lot of friction in that fit. I have reverted to almost all stock on both my 130's
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablehover View Post
So just to make sure I was covered in my original question or post I ordered some Xtreme A's and B's to cover my bases so to speak. For you guys that run the Xtreme A gear should I have any concern about circumference and the elevator servo?

Also for vtown nick do you run an aftermarket metal case? Both my tailcases are stock Blade and they are pretty much impossible to move around. I went back to the stockers after wearing out two LYNX metals. My gear mesh is fine. I do not think I could move my tailcase if I wanted to especially with the LYNX TBSR booms. Lot of friction in that fit. I have reverted to almost all stock on both my 130's
Nah, never seen issues with the Extreme A gear rubbing on the elevator servo.....
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablehover View Post

The xtreme A seems just the slightest bit smaller outer diameter that the hh metal one. Tho if you have newer servos this wouldn't be an issue.

Sorry about that, yes I only run the lynx quad tail case on all 3 of my helis. 100s of flights and 1,000s of crashes on original bearings still going strong! Setting the depth with a stock case is a real chore but possible. I do it by pulling the boom out of the frame to get the fit right because you end up ripping the tail cause off when it finally does move.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in