Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there any "how to" for a DX9?

TIA!
DX9, DX6i, Blade Nano CP X, ZYX "Blade" 130X, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 230S, Blade 300X, Blade 450 3D (about 2 b FBL; have the parts, not the time), Blade 180QX, Blade 230S V2, Convergence, Mini Convergence.
Neunerball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

deleted. Problem that was fixed.

Last edited by Katstrike; 03-10-2014 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: problem was fixed and didn't want to clutter up this thread
Katstrike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post

Next we need to prepare the DX6i for connection.
  • Power on the DX6i. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In adjust menu, select a blank model, or a model to erase.
  • In setup menu, use Copy/Reset to reset this model. (this ensures, no trim, sub-trim, travel adjust, or other settings that can affect calibration)
  • Also in setup menu, select model type of heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)
  • In adjust menu, change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro
  • Set throttle curve of hold +10
Wow, I'm certainly a newbee - I don't understand "change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro.

I look at my switch
FLAP
GYRO
is set to 0 zero
changing it to 1 makes the menu switch from 0 to 1 - I understand that.

But, this is what I don't understand in the Adjust Menu...which do I change to 10 and then the other to 90?

RATE SW-GYRO
0: <- 50.0%
1: 50.0%

Next question:

Throttle curve of hold +10

Is that a percentage as seen in the menu?

I see:

THRO CUR

NORM POS 3
STUNT
HOLD 100.0%

Thanks in advance
Ikester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here I am again...I can't find this in the Phoenix menu system

In Phoenix, go into Model tuning (detailed)
In options: De-select use preset throttle curve
In Control Expo: Set all expo to 0
In Rotor Governor: Set to Disable

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks in Advance
Ikester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester View Post
Wow, I'm certainly a newbee - I don't understand "change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro.

I look at my switch
FLAP
GYRO
is set to 0 zero
changing it to 1 makes the menu switch from 0 to 1 - I understand that.

But, this is what I don't understand in the Adjust Menu...which do I change to 10 and then the other to 90?

RATE SW-GYRO
0: <- 50.0%
1: 50.0%
You are almost there.

RATE SW-GYRO
0: <- 10.0%
1: 90.0%

The gyro switch will turn heading hold on and off in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester View Post
Next question:

Throttle curve of hold +10

Is that a percentage as seen in the menu?

I see:

THRO CUR

NORM POS 3
STUNT
HOLD 100.0%

Thanks in advance
Yet again very close:

THRO CUR

NORM POS 3
STUNT
HOLD 10.0%

With the scroller, move the highlight to hold, press to adjust, then change value to 10, press again and exit.

Take a look at: Newbies guide to the DX6i for RC helicopters for detailed information on how to program a DX6i.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another setting possibility for DX6i and Phoenix. Random "twitching" of the heli in Phoenix can be corrected by going to System | Your Controls | (selecting the TX profile) | Edit Profile and checking the Filter Channels box in the lower left corner.
Other: Atmel AVR microcontrollers, electronics, 3D printing
helibus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibus View Post
Another setting possibility for DX6i and Phoenix. Random "twitching" of the heli in Phoenix can be corrected by going to System | Your Controls | (selecting the TX profile) | Edit Profile and checking the Filter Channels box in the lower left corner.
Whoa, freaky timing

I was just about to post this info as well, with a request that Archmage update the first thread with a P.S. about it, so people hear about it as they set up their radio, instead of getting it set up and then later searching the forums, trying to figure out what is "wrong" with Phoenix or their DX6i.
jolynsbass is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post
Whoa, freaky timing

I was just about to post this info as well, with a request that Archmage update the first thread with a P.S. about it, so people hear about it as they set up their radio, instead of getting it set up and then later searching the forums, trying to figure out what is "wrong" with Phoenix or their DX6i.
Will do.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibus View Post
I was having this problem for the past couple of days after I redid all my settings according to this guide. I re-calibrated so many times, and would still have the same problem. Even made a new model, and re-calibrated, and went back to the old one. I finally updated to v5, thinking maybe it was a v4 glitch...

Nice to know there is a quick fix to this. That twitching throws me off so much sometimes, lol.
neuroticindian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

• In options: De-select use preset throttle curve
  • In Control Expo: Set all expo to 0
  • In Rotor Governor: Set to Disable
Apologies for double post.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but where would I find this in version 5? My expo only works through a change in Phoenix in Version 5 not through the tx.

Edit: I downgraded to v4..everything is back to normal.

Last edited by neuroticindian; 04-18-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroticindian View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but where would I find this in version 5? My expo only works through a change in Phoenix in Version 5 not through the tx.
If people can wait a week or so, I'll revise the main post to have the "System | Your Controls | (selecting the TX profile) | Edit Profile : Filter Channels box" note and update as to where to find all the options in v5 menus.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Archmage! I shall wait till then.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Archmage, did you do the update and it is under a different thread? Trying to get this setup with V5 and a DX9 and having some issues. Just was waiting on your new guide.

Thanks in advance!
Jankomatic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankomatic View Post
Archmage, did you do the update and it is under a different thread? Trying to get this setup with V5 and a DX9 and having some issues. Just was waiting on your new guide.

Thanks in advance!
Have access to a Phoenix v5 now (DX8, not DX9 though). Have been busy with work and replacing the vbar/spektrum with a BD3SX/frsky on the 700e since returning from the Netherlands.

I'll try get an update (with pictures) out in the next day or two. I noticed the model editing screen is quite different on V5 (on my brief look).
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is in response to requests for a step-by-step guide on how to set up a DX6i for use with Phoenix.

Please read "Simulator setup" (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755) for more information as to how simulators work with TX's.

I assume Phoenix is already installed at this stage, so I will not put in instructions on how to install Phoenix.

• In setup menu, use Copy/Reset to reset this model. (this ensures, no trim, sub-trim, travel adjust, or other settings that can affect calibration)
  • Also in setup menu, select model type of heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)

DX6i should be ready for connection to Phoenix. You can turn it off.

Start Phoenix on your computer. Cable can must be attached. DX6i must be plugged into the cable. (this will power the DX6i on without powering the RF transmitter module)

We are going to calibrate the DX6i as a new transmitter to Phoenix.
  • Go to the Phoenix main menu.
  • Select "System > Your Controls"
  • Delete any unwanted profiles (like old DX6i if one there)
  • Select New profile
  • Name: My DX6i (note: DX6i on its own is too short)
  • Select Quick Setup
  • Center all sticks - Next
  • Raise Throttle/coll (Ch1) - Next
  • Collective up (Ch6) - Next
  • Rudder right (Ch4) - Next
  • Elevator up (Ch3) - Next
  • Aileron right (Ch2) - Next
  • Gear - Skip
  • Flaps (gyro) (Ch5) - Next
  • Finish
  • Edit profile
  • Assign heli gyro to (Ch5) - This is not done automatically
  • Finished

Now that Phoenix knows the correct limits for the DX6i channels, we can now alter the DX6i settings the way we want. We want to control the model by the DX6i settings, not the built in model overrides. This way we can get better control (like working Throttle hold, DR&Expo settings we want, different throttle curves and pitch curve, etc)

Disconnect the DX6i from the trainer cable (it will turn off). And power the DX6i on by the switch.

Suggested DX6i settings:

Throttle curves:
  • (Normal - 0,56.5,72.5,72.5,72.5)
  • (Stunt - 72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5) conservative
  • (Stunt - 100,100,100,100,100) aggressive (what I use)
  • (Hold - 10) (DX6i bug. This comes out as 0)
Pitch curves:
  • (Normal - 45, 51, 60, 73.5, 91.0)
  • (Stunt - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Hold - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)

In setup list, set D/R COMBI to D/R SW:RUDD (optional, but allows all the DR&Expo settings to be changed by hitting one switch, instead of 3 (one for each channel)

Set DR&Expo to taste. I use:
  • pos 0: (80/20 80/20 100/20)
  • pos 1: (100/20 100/20 100/20) (use Rudd Dr switch to change between positions if you used the D/R Combi setting I mentioned earlier)

Set Gyro to (75,25). Phoenix treats this as an on/off switch, so specific values ar not required. Model programming is needed to really affect model gyro settings. This will just turn heading hold on and off. I fly heading hold permanently on.

Now we have out DX6i how we like it, we can turn it off, then connect the Phoenix cable to the trainer port (which will re-power the DX6i without the RF transmitter).

Since the DX6i has the flight settings we want, we have to tell Phoenix not to override them. By default it assumes you are using a dumb 4 channel controller with switches (like a plane). We need to tell Phoenix, we know what we are doing with throttle AND collective, and the we control the DR&expo.

You should be able to fly normally after all this.

I'm sure there will be some debate over this (as there is more than one method for all this). This is the method I find most flexible for model configuration for flight.

I still need to do a DX6i for beginners guide (as configuring a DX6i is quite a learning curve for a new pilot).

Tell me what you think.
I can not find the DESELECT Use preset throttle curve. WHERE IS IT??
Arghh :-)

You wrote:
HarryR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Update for Phoenix 5.0

This is in response to requests for a step-by-step guide on how to set up a DX6i for use with Phoenix.

Please read "Simulator setup" (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755) for more information as to how simulators work with TX's.

I assume Phoenix is already installed at this stage, so I will not put in instructions on how to install Phoenix.

DX6i should be ready for connection to Phoenix. You can turn it off.

Start Phoenix on your computer. Cable can must be attached. DX6i must be plugged into the cable. (this will power the DX6i on without powering the RF transmitter module)

We are going to calibrate the DX6i as a new transmitter to Phoenix.
  • Select "System > Setup new transmitter"
  • "Setup new transmitter" - Next
  • "Preparing your transmitter" - Next
  • "Calibrating your transmitter" - Next
  • "Calibrating your transmitter" - Next
  • "Centre all controls" (Centre the stick on your TX, ensure all switches at pos 0 - throttle hold off) - Next
  • "Move all sticks to extents" (Move all sticks in a + fashion till channels 1-4 and 6 show full movement. Do not move gryo switch yet) - Next
  • "Move all sticks to extents" (Move gyro switch and channel 5 should show full movement) - Next
  • "Check calibration" (Move sticks and switches to verify) - Finish
  • "Setting your controls" - Next
  • "Setting up your controls" (Select "My transmitter is not listed here" so we can create our own custom one) - Next
  • "Creating a custom profile" - Next
  • "Choose profile name" (Enter a name like "My DX6i". Leave Quick Setup highlighted) - Next
  • "Centre all controls" (Centre the stick on your TX, ensure all switches at pos 0 - throttle hold off) - Next
  • "Engine Control" (Move throttle stick up, Channel 1 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Collective Pitch Control" (Move throttle stick up, Channel 6 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Rudder/Tail-rotor Control" (Move rudder stick right, Channel 4 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Elevator/Cyclic-pitch Control" (Move elevator stick up, Channel 3 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Aileron/Cyclic-pitch Control" (Move aileron stick right, Channel 2 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Retract Gear Function" (Move Gyro switch, Channel 5 should be selected. If not retry and move switch again. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Flaps Function" (DX6i for heli, flaps not available at this stage, so skip. Next steps after calibration will set plane flaps) - Skip
  • "Setup complete" - Finish
  • "Completed" - Finish
Now the TX is calibrated you may want to do a couple more things. First is set the Gyro mode to be on channel 5. Second is to set the channels for flying planes
  • Select "System > Your controls"
  • Select your transmitter from custom and select "Edit Profile"
  • Scroll down to "Retract Gear" under "General" and set channel to "Controller channel 5"
  • Scroll down to "Gyro Mode" under "Helicopters" and set channel to "Controller channel 5"
  • Scroll down to "Flaps" under "Fixed-wing" and set channel to "Controller channel 6"
  • Finished
  • Finished
Now that Phoenix knows the correct limits for the DX6i channels, we can now alter the DX6i settings the way we want. We want to control the model by the DX6i settings, not the built in model overrides. This way we can get better control (like working Throttle hold, DR&Expo settings we want, different throttle curves and pitch curve, etc)

Disconnect the DX6i from the trainer cable (it will turn off). And power the DX6i on by the switch.

Suggested DX6i settings: (These can be changed to suit)

Throttle curves:
  • (Normal - 0,56.5,72.5,72.5,72.5)
  • (Stunt - 72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5) conservative
  • (Stunt - 100,100,100,100,100) aggressive (what I use)
  • (Hold - 10) (DX6i bug. This comes out as 0)
Pitch curves:
  • (Normal - 30, 40, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Stunt - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Hold - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)

In setup list, set D/R COMBI to D/R SW:RUDD (optional, but allows all the DR&Expo settings to be changed by hitting one switch, instead of 3 (one for each channel)

Set DR&Expo to taste. I use:
  • pos 0: (80/20 80/20 100/20)
  • pos 1: (100/20 100/20 100/20) (use Rudd Dr switch to change between positions if you used the D/R Combi setting I mentioned earlier)

Leave gyro (90,10). Phoenix treats this as an on/off switch, so specific values are not required. Model programming is needed to really affect model gyro settings. This will just turn heading hold on and off. I fly heading hold permanently on.

Now we have out DX6i how we like it, we can turn it off, then connect the Phoenix cable to the trainer port (which will re-power the DX6i without the RF transmitter).

Since the DX6i has the flight settings we want, we have to tell Phoenix not to override them. By default it assumes you are using a dumb 4 channel controller with switches (like a plane). We need to tell Phoenix, we know what we are doing with throttle AND collective, and the we control the DR&expo.

Phoenix has default expo and governor on helis you way want to fly. You will want to override these so it flies the way the transmitter is set up, not how the default model is.

Load the model you want to fly (The example I used is the T-Rex 700E 3G).

Next go into Model > Edit and choose detailed.

• In Model Controls: Set Expo for Elevator, Aileron, and Rudder to 0, see attached screen shot (dual rates is not used unless you change to low rates by keyboard)
  • Open up Main rotor > Engine and Main rotor Governor. For a model governor is usually set at 100% of blade speed (if not using advanced). It overrides the max RPM of the motor to do this. The max RPM of the motor should be at least as fast as the governor will allow. If you turn off the governor, you will need to calculate the max RPM as desired RPM x Gear ratio. For the 700E shown this meant the Max RPM had to be set to 17850 (not 15000) to allow an RPM of 2100 ungoverned. So change the Max RPM and disable the governor if you want a normal flying mode.

You should be able to fly normally after all this.

I'm sure there will be some debate over this (as there is more than one method for all this). This is the method I find most flexible for model configuration for flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5-01-New-Transmitter.jpg
Views:	2776
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	516425   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5-02-Model-Expo.jpg
Views:	2888
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	516426   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5-03-Model-Motor.jpg
Views:	2777
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	516427  
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
I can not find the DESELECT Use preset throttle curve. WHERE IS IT??
Arghh :-)

You wrote:
Updated guide now for v5.0.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I have LOTS of negative pitch in idle up .. Where should that be changed? I used a Protos 500 from the selection available.
HarryR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
So I have LOTS of negative pitch in idle up .. Where should that be changed? I used a Protos 500 from the selection available.
Model > Edit and choose detailed. Main rotor > Rotor > Collective pitch.

Looking to fly scale, or make the heli more docile? (or more aggressive?)

If you turn off the governor, to get the right max blade speed you need to put a max RPM of 18500 for the Protos (instead of the default 16000). If running without governor, it will try to match speed with the throttle curves in your transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5-Model-Rotor.jpg
Views:	3101
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	516589  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome as always ArchmageAU !!!! I love your dedication to helping others with this hobby, especially thankful because I just got Phoenix sim .
ks9818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in