Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > E550

E550 Thunder Tiger E550 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #341 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipioh View Post
You are going to need to use "Swash Type: 1 Servo 90" for your setup in the dx6i. The GT5.2 will handle all of the mixing, so you'll set the actual swash type in that setup.
That's just what I needed to know, thank you!
Scream And Fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #342 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys just want to apologise about the negative nature of my last post. I was just a bit frustrated. Anyway it went in a fair way out (I don't let it get too near me in flight.) And hard! Quite a bit of damage to the airframe but the electronics seem ok (apart from the dead servo). Made a quick phone call to midland here in the uk and they're gonna send the servos back to the distributor to look over. So for now I'm down to the mini protos. Can't wait to get big bird back in the air
tomcantfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #343 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default E550 FBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcantfly View Post
Hey guys just want to apologise about the negative nature of my last post. I was just a bit frustrated. Anyway it went in a fair way out (I don't let it get too near me in flight.) And hard! Quite a bit of damage to the airframe but the electronics seem ok (apart from the dead servo). Made a quick phone call to midland here in the uk and they're gonna send the servos back to the distributor to look over. So for now I'm down to the mini protos. Can't wait to get big bird back in the air

No worries...just glad you are getting it resolved. If this hobby wasn't frustrating, we wouldn't appreciate the good times as much! LOL!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #344 (permalink)
Registered Users

Then I've had some very very good times.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #345 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm trying to use the GT5.2 with a Spektrum AR6000. I'm trying to figure out how to connect it though. I guess this is another very basic question, but I see no port for "pitch" and "gain" on the Spektrum receiver. I don't have Spektrum satellites, so I'm trying to figure out where those connections go from the gyro. Could anyone help pretty please?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #346 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
I'm trying to use the GT5.2 with a Spektrum AR6000. I'm trying to figure out how to connect it though. I guess this is another very basic question, but I see no port for "pitch" and "gain" on the Spektrum receiver. I don't have Spektrum satellites, so I'm trying to figure out where those connections go from the gyro. Could anyone help pretty please?
I'll do my best to help.

First, look at this pic from the GT5.2 manual:

Then, let's map the channels from your AR6000 to align with what you see in the picture (knocking out what is obvious first).

Bat =
Thr = Connected to ESC/BEC
Aile = Aileron
Ele = Elevator
Rud = Rudder
Ger =
Aux =

I think you knew all of that stuff already. ; )

Now, normally, the pitch will run on channel 6 (Aux) and gain will run on channel 5 (gear). So you should set it up with those channels, like this:

Bat =
Thr = Connected to ESC/BEC
Aile = Aileron
Ele = Elevator
Rud = Rudder
Ger = Gain
Aux = Pitch

Hope that helps. Someone please fact check me, since I'm not running Spektrum any longer. : ) I've come to appreciate the simplicity in the Futaba S.Bus system...and the single wire to connect RX to FBL controller. : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT52-standardRX.PNG
Views:	971
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	520559   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPM6000_a0.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	520561  
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #347 (permalink)
Registered Users

cipioh, you are awesome, I am so appreciative of your help! This is the very first time I'm setting up a flybarless system so a lot of this is new to me. Thank you so much!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #348 (permalink)
Registered Users

raptor e550 fbl

Last edited by raptornut1; 07-30-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: give up on heli
raptornut1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #349 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
That should be enough, assuming you're on the next to outer hole on the servo arm. 95mm tailblades make a noticable difference, as does the speed up pulley in the tail,.. but generally only needed if you run lower rpms than designed. Stock motor and gear with good packs should get you well over 2100 on the head and the stock tail setup should be sufficient unless you really yank on collective and cyclic at the same time and load it up. Mine is the one in the video on the tower site, and had stock components for the video, except pinion changed to 9 tooth (I like lower revs and longer flights). That was only at 1900 (flight modes of 1500/1700/1900 at the time). Tail works but not great at the lower than designed rpms. With 95 blades and speedup pulley it's fantastic at the lower revs. That still doesn't explain yours,..since you're obviously spinning it a heck of a lot faster. Do you have any video?
Gary,

Is this the part you refer to as the "speedup" pulley?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ahbr&search=Go

Thanks,

Paul
flyingw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #350 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes sir. Going from 9 to 8 teeth bumps it up to something around 5~5.1 if I remember correctly.

Champaign Il
Helifreak user # 7001
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #351 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
yes sir. Going from 9 to 8 teeth bumps it up to something around 5~5.1 if I remember correctly.
Thanks Gary. Have a list of stretch parts handy now in case I go the E550 route. Paul
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #352 (permalink)
Registered Users

To stretch the E550 you also have to extend the tail pushrod, right?

I suppose one could install an extending piece of music wire with another Tail Control Rod Joint.

Last edited by flyingw; 08-02-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #353 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes you need a longer pushrod. Not sure what I used, I have lots of pushrod stock in my workshop after spending too many years in the hobby <G>. Boom, belt, boom supports, pushrod, and you got a lightweight 600! For boom supports, you could do the raptor 50 ones, they're inexpensive. I had a carbon set from an E720 that I stretched to an E820, so I just used them.

Champaign Il
Helifreak user # 7001
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #354 (permalink)
Registered Users

I won the Raptor E550 ARF in the IRCHA raffle which was awesome.

I will be using this thread during my setup and want to thank all those who have contributed to help out another freaker, Thanks!!!

Looking forward to having a bird this size!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #355 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations dude.
tomcantfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #356 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnorth View Post
I better comparison would be between the 2 550's I own, who are more direct competitors.
Yes rcnorth that would be a better comparison, and I am interested in your opinion between the 550X and the TT E550 FBL.

As is stock, and also compared after any changes you have made to either.

Very Interested!
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #357 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jypt01 View Post
Yes rcnorth that would be a better comparison, and I am interested in your opinion between the 550X and the TT E550 FBL.

As is stock, and also compared after any changes you have made to either.

Very Interested!
Thanks.

Well....

I really like Thunder Tiger. Very happy I went with the Mini Titan's as my training heli's, I still fly them all the time. My E700 is also really great, very happy with my choice.

The price point of the E550 is really great, & it sucked me in I must say, because I really didn't care for the look of it so much, but it does look good in the air. I also like the way it flys, less weight is better IMO, & it seems TT thinks that way also

Being able to change batteries without removing the canopy is a great feature, especially since a major design flaw in the E550 is the very weak canopy mounts, and the fact that you have to change out the frame when they break.

The other problem for me, is the fact that a servo died with less than 20 flights on the machine. I'm glad this does not seem to be a common problem, but I'm not the only one it's happened too....and really it shouldn't happen at all. I guess we'll see if this continues to be an issue or not, but having electronics on a machine this size that yo can trust is VERY important IMO.

Thunder Tiger customer service is really great, I would say on par with HH. If I did not end up trading the heli, I would have sent in the faulty servo, & Im sure they would have taken care of me.

As for the 550X,.....the only issue is the plastic canopy mounts which are a cheap & easy fix. Otherwise its simply a higher quality machine....CF frame, CNC tail, FG canopy, excellent servos....AR7200BX flys rock solid with little tuning or messing around. With the reduced combo price, IMO it is the best value out there in a 550 heli.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #358 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks rcnorth for the comparison - good to have a chance to here from someone who has owned both. I was looking at a 550X down the road and then the E550 FBL fell in my lap.

What servos are in your 550X?

What do you think of the E550 FBL stock DS0606N servo?

The 2 servo failure I have read about on here does have me worried. I am wondering if I would be money ahead to upgrade them from the start. A addendum that came with the manual says the stock servos are fine for normal flying but for hard 3D they should be replaced. Now I am currently no hard 3D flyer but I am working on improving my skills. I wonder what qualifies as hard, could that mean any type of 3D flying that is not the typical sport flying?

Anyone have any recomendations for reliable / economical 550 servos that would be a step up from the stock DS1510MG cyclic servos or the DS0606N tail servo which would be more worry free?

I appreciate the input.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #359 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's my understanding that the stock spektrum servos in the 550X are re-branded Savox servos. I like Savox, they came with my 480Xxtreme. I run MKS in my other machines which have been great.

The stock E550 servos seemed to do the job fine, the issue for me is only reliability. I'm only just in my 3rd year in the hobby, but I'm learning that cheap servo's will make you pay in the end...lol. Lost a plane on the weekend because of the cheap stock elevator servo....

It's not easy for a company to put out a decent 550 ARF for $5-600. with great servos when decent servos often cost $3-$500, so I guess somethings gotta give.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #360 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, dunno if this is applicable to this thread but just to add my 5 cents, I bought the Blade 500 3D and to be honest I'm not over the moon with the Spektrum servos or the gyro. Cyclics get a bit warm for my liking and I swapped the gyro and tail servo out for a TT ace 7000 and Futaba 9254 as the tail would go very slack towards the end of a flight . There also seems to be an awful lot of radial movement in the output shafts considering they are supposed to be ball raced.
evolusia is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in