Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 1515H/2.5D Bearing replacement w/pics

O.k. kids here is my 1515H torn down. After 3 months, the top bearing started to squeal. The motor comes apart very easy as the fan shroud and the end cap are held on with silicone. No epoxy requiring heat. I used two wood blocks under the edge of the fan shroud and tapped the motor right out. Then, removed the 4 screws in the end cap and used a small flat screw driver to pry off the end cap. Very little silicone was used so it was easy to get off. Tapped out both bearings with sockets and this all took about 3 minutes. Steve Neu recommended just a small amount of high grade silicone to re-assemble. The fan end bearing is a 5x16x5 and the pinion end bearing is a 5x11x4, No flanges! Here is the link of the two bearing I ordered as I think it is worth going ceramic hybrid on this motor. I will update once the bearings come in and I get a test flight in.
Pinion end bearing: http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=

Fan end bearing: http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...=SMR625C-ZZ_#3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492[1].jpg
Views:	516
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	42498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494[1].jpg
Views:	418
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	42499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495[1].jpg
Views:	402
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	42500  
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered this bearing a few weeks ago for my 1515/2.5 D/H for "just in case" later issues.

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...99&n=SMF695-ZZ

It is flanged (5x13x4) and does not match the same specs as the bearing link you posted (5x11x4). Is this bearing the wrong size? When you disassembled your motor, were the bearings flanged or does this really matter? I am a bit confused at this point. Wren can you chime in on this one?

Brett
aucmax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Unfortunately there seems to be at least 3 different varieties of 1515/2.5d all using different bearing sets - mine is the oldest with 2 11x5x4 bearings - Alan had a flanged 13mm variety and Rob's had a socking big flanged 16x5x5 ! So I guess Brett id depends which Mk yours was - on the good side at least Neu are addressing the bearing issues in the highly stressed 1515 series !
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

John! Your not helping here! How do I know what flavor I have? I guess it is just pick and choose, they all will work so who cares? Sh*t man! Tune me in on this mate.

Brett
Old 03-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine was the "F" version, not the "H" Version. Enough to drive one mad isn't it!

At least they are so easy to take apart.
Outrage 550..........Outrage G5........Phazor 600
In memory of: James Archer
wren1702 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah.. That's me on the left.

Brett
Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucmax View Post
Yeah.. That's me on the left.

Looks like my vasectomy clinic
Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for that info. I don't think the 1515 H series breakdown has been explained before that I could find. I was wondering how the fan shroud was supposed to come off. If I need the info in the future it is nice to see it posted.

Last edited by StatiC; 03-20-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: put shroud in there to make it clear I wasn't talking about the fan itself
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fan does not come off the shaft. This 1515 H was bought in Dec. 07!

It appears that the F has flanged and the H does not. It is so easy to take apart, you could do it just to see without pulling the bearings. I guess the older F and the newer F have different bearings.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great info!

I just received my new Neu 1515H-2Y and I am considering tearing it down and putting in a ceramic hybrid bearing on the pinion side even before I install it.

It sounds like the only way to be sure of the bearing size is to tear it down, so I guess I'll do that and place an order...

If it's a 13x5x4 flanged, the only option I've found is at Boca Bearings and it's $35 !
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...=SMF695C-ZZ_#7

If it's a 16x5x5 flanged, then I haven't been able to locate a ceramic hybrid anywhere!

Anyone have any leads for me??

Bill

Bill Sanford is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoney View Post
Fan does not come off the shaft. This 1515 H was bought in Dec. 07!
I meant to say the fan shroud . I wouldn't need to remove the fan itself.
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

vxb.com and Boca are your choices from what I have found.

Call Boca, they are very helpful and may have something you can't find on the site...

The fan end bearing is o.k. in my motor so the ceramic in the pinion end SHOULD help longevity anyway.

Bill Sanford, I bet your motor is NOT flanged being it's a new 1515H! So you should be able to order the same bearings I did... Take it apart just to be safe though...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoney View Post
Bill Sanford, I bet your motor is NOT flanged being it's a new 1515H! So you should be able to order the same bearings I did... Take it apart just to be safe though...
Weird! Both bearings are the same on my 1515H-2Y -> 5x13x4 and BOTH are flanged!

How many different varieties of the 1515 did Steve make??

This is a brand new motor (never ran) and I was surprised to feel that both bearings felt just slightly rough! They don't feel silky smooth like I think they should. I've actually changed bearings in my helis that felt like these!

The only flanged 5x13x4 ceramic hybrid bearing on the Boca site costs costs $35 each! It is ABEC #7 rated, which is MUCH higher than necessary, which is likely why it is so expensive. From what I understand and read on the Boca web site, the ABEC rating just rates the precision that the bearing is made as far as dimensional accuracy. I don't think it's an indication of hardness of material or how long the bearing will last...

I spent a little time looking with Google, but didn't find what I was looking for...

Any suggestions guys? Do you know of anywhere else I might find 5x13x4 ceramic hybrid bearings for less? I don't need ABEC #7 rated...

Bill

Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

ABEC rating has to do with tolerance, so the higher rating does have less slop, so this should give a longer life in a high vibration enviroment I would think.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent info Rob, I had to return my 1515DHF twice to Neu for bearing replacement. Although the turnaround time was quite impressive at 2 weeks, it is even better if I could just pull the motor and replace with hybrid bearings myself.
I just cringed at the thought of using a torch and a wood chisel on the 1500 series as previously posted. Silicone seems a much better solution than GBWeld.
Is a Hight temp silicone used or the regular clear GE type ??
4cyclic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

4cyclic

I have the same GE bathroom 100% clear silicone in my cabinet and it says that it should not be used over 400 degrees F, so it is more than enough. I haven't temped this motor over 130 yet...

I think the trick will be to get the old stuff cleaned off and use a little alcohol to clean up before re-assembly.

It took no heat, and really the screws hold it together not the silicone. It is probably for vibration issues more that adhering the cap on...

Neu specs out only ABEC3 steel bearings for these motors, so when they repair it, it gets the same cheap bearings...

I will see how the ceramic hybrids hold up..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My previous post about an ABEC7 rated bearing being too good is probably a dumb statement on my part!

When I considered what I have invested in the motor, and the entire heli... a $35 bearing isn't really a big deal, especially if it fixes a known point of failure. It's cheap insurance if it prevents destroying the motor, or risking the entire heli if it were to fail in flight!

Based on this, my question is: Do I need ceramic hybrids on both ends of the motor, or would a good quality stainless bearing from Boca on the non-output side be adequate?

Has anyone had a bearing failure or even serious wear on the non-output side of a 1515 or any other motor?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think a steel ABEC3 or better on the fan end is fine, I found my 2 bearings for 15 and 18 bux each so I went with ceramic on both..
Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, next question is lubrication...

Have you guys seen this thing: http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=169165

It VERY cool and it's now on my MUST HAVE list!

A friend bought one and I borrowed it from him. It is a bearing greaser that forces grease around the dust shields of bearings and fills it with grease. It works absolutely great!

I used it to grease the main shaft bearings, the grip bearings and the tail shaft bearings.

None of the bearings were bad, but most had been flown quite a bit. You should have seen the black icky grease that was forced out of a few of the bearings! They are now full of clean fresh synthetic tri-flow grease and should last a LONG time!

Should I use this to lubricate the new bearings on the motor? My concern is that the motor runs at such a high RPM, will the bearing being FULL of grease cause them to drag and potentially wear the shaft due to slippage between the inner race and the shaft?

I suppose I could use green loctite to bond the shaft to the inner race...

Any comments guys? What do you think?

Bill

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The oil/grease used by the bearing manf. is important in material type, ball type, speed, heat. etc. ratings on each bearing. I don't grease my own as you need to get the old grease out first.. I run the bearings until they need replacing.

Maybe if you get dry bearings, then you can grease them yourself, IF you know what type lube is best for the application and materials of the bearing. I don't know enough about it, but a local bearing company did tell me that it's not a good idea to mix lubes inside the bearings.

We need a bearing expert on here to educate us a little more on bearing lube dos and don'ts!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in