Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle HOLD DX8

Can someone explain how to set the throttle HOLD switch on DX8? It is labeled as MIX 0, HOLD 1 on the DX8 and is located in the right upper back position on the TX behind the RUDDER D/R switch.

I have concluded that the HOLD switch is used to disable the ESC so it cannot start the motor, no matter where the collective/pitch stick is positioned. Seems like a great safety factor, even though looks like I can set an alarm on the TX for when the TX is switched to ON with the collective/pitch stick anywhere except bottom position.

Since the ESC control lead plugs into the THRO socket on the AR8000, I conclude that the signal for HOLD must go through the throttle channel to the ESC. Is this correct? (I am trying to not assume anything).

I also conclude that when the MIX/HOLD switch is in position 1 (HOLD), the throttle curve can be set for values above 0, at least for stunt 1 and 2 while safely preventing the motor from starting. Is this correct?

I have RTFM already, and it is simply not clear about this.
Iatros is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First, to enable TH, go to F-MODE SETUP and assign the TH switch to TH.

Now: TH does not disable your ESC. What happens when you flip the TH switch is that the transmitter will use the TH throttle and pitch curves for sending THR/PIT signals to the receiver.

The DX-8 allows you to decide which one of 4 SETS OF THR/PIT CURVES will be used in determining what THR/PIT values are being transmitted.
3 of these sets you select by flipping the F-mode switch (Norm, IU1 and IU2)
The 4th set is the TH set and by flipping the TH switch to 1 (on), this set overrides any set choosen with the f-mode switch.

By having a flat 0 throttle curve for TH (set up in the throttle curve menu), the tx will send a 0 (no throttle) for all stick positions. DO NOT alter these all-zero values as that will void any reason to use TH in the first place.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, that helps and explains a lot. Seems as though manuals would explain this better. The relationship between F-Mode, TH, Throttle Curve/Pitch curve is just not well explained. Not even in 'The Ultimate Guide to Spektrum DX8'.

Bear with me: so if one day I wanted to try to autorotate, would I use TH to stop engine while still having collective via the Pitch Curve? And flipping switch to MIX would enable motor to start in what F-Mode is selected, if I wanted to abort auto?

And now thanks are in order: many thanks, ochen spacibo, molto grazie, merci boucoup, viel danke, etc. (sorry, don't know any Norse).
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Found it: takk!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm thinking of buying a dx8. Question: On my dx6i, the flight mode switch is on the top, but the one closest to me. The back one, Trainer, is the farther (and larger) switch. However, what I'd prefer is that the big switch be the idle up, since it's more important, like the TH HOLD switch on right/back is. I can't tell from the documentation ( www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM8800-Manual_EN.pdf ), but can I assign switches like I want? Thanks -- matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN400 View Post
The DX-8 allows you to decide which one of 4 SETS OF THR/PIT CURVES will be used in determining what THR/PIT values are being transmitted.
3 of these sets you select by flipping the F-mode switch (Norm, IU1 and IU2)
The 4th set is the TH set and by flipping the TH switch to 1 (on), this set overrides any set choosen with the f-mode switch.
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to the manual.

"You can assign the flight mode and hold functions to any of 9 switches including: Inhibit, Aileron D/R, Elevator D/R, Rudder D/R, Gyro switch, Flight Mode Switch, Hold and the Governor switch."
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Doh! I didn't read carefully enough. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedRaptor77 View Post
According to the manual.

"You can assign the flight mode and hold functions to any of 9 switches including: Inhibit, Aileron D/R, Elevator D/R, Rudder D/R, Gyro switch, Flight Mode Switch, Hold and the Governor switch."
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should be able to check out the servo monitor screen on the TX to see what the TX is commanding different channels with switches in different positions.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

DX8. Someone can explain why the TH alarm is on when TH is on. Safety would'nt be the opposite?
jacques gagnon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques gagnon View Post
DX8. Someone can explain why the TH alarm is on when TH is on. Safety would'nt be the opposite?
My guess is that it is a hangover from days when pilots would fly in a normal mode. Also may have something to do with IC (nitro/gasser helis) where hold is idle, and cut is off.

I just disable that warning.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Seems like a great safety factor, even though looks like I can set an alarm on the TX for when the TX is switched to ON with the collective/pitch stick anywhere except bottom position.
It is an important safety factor for both handling and flying. You will want to be able to flip the TH without thinking about where it is positioned on the transmitter. If you are sure you are going to crash, you want to hit the TH to prevent crashing with power engaged.

Also TH and cut off are two separate functions for a nitro.

Tags
dx8, programming, throttle hold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in