Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers)

Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers) Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problem setting failsafe throttle position with Spektrum DX7s

Hi all,

I have my Spektrum DX7s and DJI F550 set up with this popular set-up:

Spektrum DX7s NAZA DJI F450 & DJI F550 Switches Setup (3 min 37 sec)

ie. 3-position switch set to GPS-Atti-Failsafe

I'm currently trying to set the failsafe with the DX7s preset-failsafe function and AR8000 receiver. The setup as reflected in the DJI assistant is correct so far (ie. when transmitter is switched off or when 3-position switch is moved to the failsafe position the Naza moves to failsafe mode).

So far so good....

The problem is that DJI say that the preset-failsafe throttle mustn't be set at less than 10% (I was going to aim for around 50%). My understanding is that these settings are determined by the stick positions during the binding process, however it seems impossible to boot-up the DX7s without the throttle stick being at 0%.

If boot-up is tried with the throttle stick being in any other position a warning appears on the DX7s LCD screen along with audible warning tone, and transmitter start-up won't proceed until the throttle stick is moved back to 0%. This seems to apply whether or not the Tx is in bind mode, so I can't figure out how to transfer a pre-set throttle of >10% to the Rx/Naza.

Anyone know how to solve this? It must be a problem that many others have encountered but I couldn't find any threads offering a solution (plenty of threads covering the process of setting up switches etc., but this aspect of it isn't the problem).

All advice welcome!
solder monkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have to turn the alarms off in the DX7s so you can set the failsafe in the bind mode. Don't forget to go back in after binding and turn them back on.
I have one of these and a DX9. You have to turn the alarms off in either one to bind the throttle above 0%.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK thanks - that sounds straightforward enough. Pity the DX7s manual isn't as informative!

Do you think 50% throttle as the failsafe would be a good setting for the Naza?

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

10% would be better as that is what the naza is looking for. But a lot use 50% idle speed with good results. It's a matter of choice. I use 10% on all of my gals.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that setishock.
Success! (or partial success at least)...

When the tx is switched off the naza goes into failsafe mode and the pre-set throttle value kicks in :-)

When the 3-way switch is moved to the failsafe position the naza goes into failsafe mode but the user retains throttle control (presumably this is the way its supposed to work - if the switch is hit in-flight the throttle will already be >10% so I think I should be able to just let go of all controls and let the naza do its thing, or at the very least let the naza RTH and just manually control the height).

Now all I have to do is pluck up the courage to field test it - I'll probably start by putting in descent-only mode and put it into a low hover over long grass!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Be aware that when it goes into failsafe, the aircraft CLIMBS to 20 meters, then moves to home, then lands.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Chris, many thanks for that, but my intention is to temporarily set the failsafe to the "Landing only" mode with the Naza Assistant software until I'm happy that everything is working properly with correct throttle position etc.. Once I'm satisfied that all is in order I'll go back to the "Go Home and Landing" mode and leave this as the permanent setting.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

You'll still need to test it. A very large open field is a good place to do that sort of testing.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by solder monkey View Post
Thanks for that setishock.
Success! (or partial success at least)...

When the tx is switched off the naza goes into failsafe mode and the pre-set throttle value kicks in :-)

When the 3-way switch is moved to the failsafe position the naza goes into failsafe mode but the user retains throttle control (presumably this is the way its supposed to work - if the switch is hit in-flight the throttle will already be >10% so I think I should be able to just let go of all controls and let the naza do its thing, or at the very least let the naza RTH and just manually control the height).

Now all I have to do is pluck up the courage to field test it - I'll probably start by putting in descent-only mode and put it into a low hover over long grass!
Just to put your mind at peace, I use 50% throttle preset and the failsafe works well with that. Make sure as well that after you've set the faisafe by adjusting the end points of relevant channels, you put them all back to where they should be for normal flying. It is a common ommission atributed usually to excitement from the first fail safe test. Other than that, good luck!!
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

why would you have to set throttle in failsafe? once it goes into failsafe you have no control of it until its disengaged. i have mine set up in heli model type and change the flight mode through the pitch channel by the curves
Kev@dhw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

This is true but...
The flight controller is looking for a preset set of command signals coming off the receiver to match up with the failsafe trigger in the flight controller. The NAZA listens to the receiver for a set amount of time when the control lines fall back to a preset set of commands. When the timer expires, and the receiver has not changed status, the failsafe is triggered. You set this up when you bind the receiver to the transmitter.
You're just setting up the trigger for the failsafe mode in the flight controller from the receiver.

You're right in the respect that once failsafe is triggered, the flight controller is going to drop in to autonomous mode and in the case of a NAZA it will either land right away where ever it is, or compare current position to home point position and return to that point and land.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the best answer for setting up a fail safe for a DX7 that I have run across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL-Cool-T
Im trying to put the AR8000 into failsafe mode using the AR8000rx...I can manually put it in because I programmed a switch to do it...now I need to make it work when I turn off my DX7...HELP !!! Thank You.

Place your radio switches so they are or would be in failsafe mode and leaving throttle at 50%. Leave it off now turn off your radio.

Next, insert your bind plug into the rx. Power on the rx/naza. After 2-3secs remove your bind plug from the rx.

Now, turn on your radio holding the bind switch and bind to the rx like your normally would but now with your radio "in" the failsafe position.

After it binds, power off the rx and place your radio switches back to "normal".

Power cycle your radio and power on your rx/naza.

Lastly, check and verify in the naza assistant that when you turn off your radio it enters failsafe before you go test fly!!!
Make sure your sliders light up the fail safe in blue and then rebind your tx with it connected to the naza assistant just like you did above. After that check it on the assistant by turning off your tx.
WyDiablo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

oh i see how you guys are doing it, i use the smartsafe settings on the rx to do the failsafe so there is no waiting as soon as it loses link it goes into failsafe. you have to use a rx above a ar7610 for that function though. i understand now thank you
Kev@dhw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyDiablo View Post
This is the best answer for setting up a fail safe for a DX7 that I have run across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL-Cool-T
Im trying to put the AR8000 into failsafe mode using the AR8000rx...I can manually put it in because I programmed a switch to do it...now I need to make it work when I turn off my DX7...HELP !!! Thank You.

Place your radio switches so they are or would be in failsafe mode and leaving throttle at 50%. Leave it off now turn off your radio.

Next, insert your bind plug into the rx. Power on the rx/naza. After 2-3secs remove your bind plug from the rx.

Now, turn on your radio holding the bind switch and bind to the rx like your normally would but now with your radio "in" the failsafe position.

After it binds, power off the rx and place your radio switches back to "normal".

Power cycle your radio and power on your rx/naza.

Lastly, check and verify in the naza assistant that when you turn off your radio it enters failsafe before you go test fly!!!
Make sure your sliders light up the fail safe in blue and then rebind your tx with it connected to the naza assistant just like you did above. After that check it on the assistant by turning off your tx.
This has been discussed and instruction given many times before. To the instruction above only adding that the relevant end point of the chanel assigned to the flight switch need to be adjusted for the cursor to be in blue failsafe area in the assistant software before binding. Than after the failsafe is set, the end point needs to be returned to the previous value for the control switch to move the cursor to all three fligt modes Manual, Atti. and GPS.
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in