Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > 350QX

350QX Blade 350QX Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AMA membership...off topic

Didnt see any other forum to post in so I'll ask here. While looking for a park to fly in, I see some require membership to the AMA. Membership price is resonable and comes with insurance. Theft, liability etc. Any users belong to AMA. Is it worth it?
mayhemmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is absolutely worth it. Apart from the insurance, the AMA is our most effective voice in DC. The AMA lobbies for us to keep the regulations hanging over our hobby as reasonable as possible.
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
It is absolutely worth it. Apart from the insurance, the AMA is our most effective voice in DC. The AMA lobbies for us to keep the regulations hanging over our hobby as reasonable as possible.
Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Joining now
Old 02-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I'm an AMA member.

There are three key benefits to AMA - the insurance, the voice in DC, and the educational resources they provide. "Safety rules" sounds negative because people generally don't like rules, but the AMA has built a set of rules and other information based on over 75+ years of experience with radio control aircraft.

The FAA rule interpretation from last year for recreational model aircraft includes a stipulation to "operate within the safety program of a community-based organziation." That's the AMA.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As stated already WELL worth the $$.

Our local club had an "incident" many many years ago. A woman moved in about 1/4 mile from the flying field (was before electric was common) and suddenly claimed the noise of the airplane motors were causing her to have mental illness. She had $$ and hired a large law firm from out of town to represent her. We were a small club in a very rural area (flying basically from a cow pasture) and had no significant funds to speak of.

Long story short the AMA provided legal support and in the end we WON (which we should have of course). Without our affiliation with the AMA we would have lost big time.

That's but a small piece of the whole AMA puzzle and it's probably the best $60 you can spend for this hobby.

THANK YOU for joining the AMA.
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
As stated already WELL worth the $$.

Our local club had an "incident" many many years ago. A woman moved in about 1/4 mile from the flying field (was before electric was common) and suddenly claimed the noise of the airplane motors were causing her to have mental illness. She had $$ and hired a large law firm from out of town to represent her. We were a small club in a very rural area (flying basically from a cow pasture) and had no significant funds to speak of.

Long story short the AMA provided legal support and in the end we WON (which we should have of course). Without our affiliation with the AMA we would have lost big time.

That's but a small piece of the whole AMA puzzle and it's probably the best $60 you can spend for this hobby.

THANK YOU for joining the AMA.
Correct you are. I cant even get out of the hobby store for $60.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemmike View Post
Correct you are. I cant even get out of the hobby store for $60.
LOL! Isn't that the truth
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too belong.
4_Props is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I belong mainly because I occasionally fly with some guys at a local club and their club requires it. Most other times I'm flying at random locations that probably would not warrant belonging to the AMA.

I've read both sides of the coin when it comes to the insurance coverage. Near as I can figure if you don't have home owners insurance or any other kind of insurance they "may" cover you in the case of an accident. From what I've read it's purely a supplemental insurance that kicks in when none of your other types of policies cover you.

In one instance I know some guys that had a battery fire in their car two weeks apart from each other. The one guys accident was covered by the AMA insurance and the other guy's wasn't. Don't know all of the details but that sounds a little sketchy. Hopefully I never have to find out for myself.
mapper65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Well worth it!! Besides the insurance coverage and privileges at many fields, the AMA has the clout to prevent us from being stomped on by ignorant lawmakers and bureaucrats.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

I fly at an AMA field that just so happens to be less than a mile from my house. And it is sooooo nice to have some place to go practice my hobby that is specifically sanctioned for RC aircraft. I used to go fly at various parks and public areas and invariably there would be knuckleheads that wander onto the field or come up from behind to talk just after you take off even though there was nobody around just before. I'll gladly maintain membership in the AMA and pay reasonable club dues to have a place to go fly where I don't have to worry about any of that shenanigans. If I'm the only one there I'll just lock the gate behind me so no crazies just happen to wander in and I have a beautiful runway and helipad all to myself. On other days some of my best friends are guys I met through this club and it's easy to blow a day out there flying and shooting the shit. That's what I call money well spent. Both AMA and club dues combined cost me all year what it would cost for maybe a couple dinners and a movie. It's the epitome of a no-brainer.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I fly at an AMA field that just so happens to be less than a mile from my house. And it is sooooo nice to have some place to go practice my hobby that is specifically sanctioned for RC aircraft. I used to go fly at various parks and public areas and invariably there would be knuckleheads that wander onto the field or come up from behind to talk just after you take off even though there was nobody around just before. I'll gladly maintain membership in the AMA and pay reasonable club dues to have a place to go fly where I don't have to worry about any of that shenanigans. If I'm the only one there I'll just lock the gate behind me so no crazies just happen to wander in and I have a beautiful runway and helipad all to myself. On other days some of my best friends are guys I met through this club and it's easy to blow a day out there flying and shooting the shit. That's what I call money well spent. Both AMA and club dues combined cost me all year what it would cost for maybe a couple dinners and a movie. It's the epitome of a no-brainer.
I so wish we had one like that on this side of our island. We have one RC field here and it's only open on the weekend. That's one reason that although I'd love to have a nice, big plank to put one of my 100 or so engines in, there's no point. There's nowhere to fly it, except weekends if you're lucky and it's not raining, or want to drive 90+ miles to Kona. At least with the helis and quads, I can do some flying in my own yard. Like some cheese with that whine?

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

AMA member also...
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For average of $5 a month. It seemed to good to be true so that why I asked. I probably loose that much change in the couch cushions. I am now a 8 x 10 temporary receipt card carring member . the fields,insurance and voice in DC. Is well worth it.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

There should be an AMA thread (explaining the benefits) STICKIED to the top of every forum on this site.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmitty View Post
There should be an AMA thread (explaining the benefits) STICKIED to the top of every forum on this site.
+1

AMA 988253
(2011)
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
I so wish we had one like that on this side of our island. We have one RC field here and it's only open on the weekend. That's one reason that although I'd love to have a nice, big plank to put one of my 100 or so engines in, there's no point. There's nowhere to fly it, except weekends if you're lucky and it's not raining, or want to drive 90+ miles to Kona. At least with the helis and quads, I can do some flying in my own yard. Like some cheese with that whine?
Yeah...boohoo says the guy who lives in Hawaii. But I can imagine it might be difficult to find a suitable place to build up an RC park on that part of the island. Both it being the windward side and the terrain itself. Not to mention the lava flows.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a member of 3 flying sites near me, and all 3 of them require AMA membership.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
Yeah...boohoo says the guy who lives in Hawaii. But I can imagine it might be difficult to find a suitable place to build up an RC park on that part of the island. Both it being the windward side and the terrain itself. Not to mention the lava flows.
LOL, yeah, someone has to hold the islands down.. Everything here is basically on a hill. Helis are just the ticket!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 03-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know if there is an AMA equivalent in Canada? I like the idea of having some level of insurance should things ever go sideways (or rather, crashing back down to the ground).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in