Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow what a fantastic job! Very cool, look forward to following along.

I am very envious of those with the skills and know-how to do this kind of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes please show us more. This looks great so far.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Impressive work, maybe next time you need to make a pc board you might want to consider using the mill to remove the copper rather than etching it off.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Nice job bud. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I'm thinking of redoing my case also. Of course it won't be a "pimp" as yours.
I wish I could make it to our fun fly this year, but again I leave on vacation 3 days before it starts. I miss out on the heli class again! Hope they have one after IRCHA like they did a few years ago. I'm hoping to make the bit one in MN this year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebomb View Post
Nice. did you buy a mill just for this project? How far are you from the quad cities?
Yes and no. I've wanted a mill for a long time. Having a project of this nature in mind, just make it happen a lot sooner. I've got some other projects I have planned, but first and foremost is my charging case. I want to get that done asap so I'm ready to go fly when there's a nice day out, and I can grab my stuff and go at a whims notice.

I'm a little over 2 hours from the quad cities. I'm about 20 miles south of Waterloo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artski View Post
Impressive work, maybe next time you need to make a pc board you might want to consider using the mill to remove the copper rather than etching it off.
I thought about that, when I was getting ready to do the first board. I thought what if I didn't go something right or it didn't work right, what would me next option be. I thought about milling it off, but I'd leave a little lip where ever I cut. It could be done, but I'd have to make sure the board was flat and stayed that way. It would have taken me a lot longer to do it that way. I did have another option, but I didn't feel like spending over $100 to have a few board made. Even if I wanted 10 boards, I just couldn't justify the costs. Plus I have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Now that I have 2 boards done and see how well they work, that could become an option if the need arises. The good think about having someone else make the board, I could get a silk screening on the top side of the board. I seriously gave it some thought, but well not knowing how well it would work, I wasn't about the throw a Benjamin at it and find out. Making it myself, if I needed to make a change, I could do so on the fly, so it worked out well. The etching process actually works very very well, and you get very good results. It just takes time and patience as it's a slow process, but I had other things to do while the board was in the dip.

Thanks all for the comments. It's been a lot of hours in the basement the past month, getting thing setup, over coming some unforeseen obstacles. Making things in a certain order was changed around as well, as I made changes to the main board holder, and then had to remake the end pieces 3 times. I got pretty good at it and thought I had it all down, and then I tool 1mm too much.....was in a hurry to get it done and well ended up having to start over again. Live and learn I guess.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

So here's some of last night progress. Just getting more wires soldered on to the board and the connectors on. Much better solder job on this board!

Preparing the wires for tinning.

All soldered up and ready to do the other side.

Here I got all the wires soldered and the connectors installed.

Got the board installed and the wires pulled out the bottom of the board. The new style of cutout for the wires worked very well and much better than the prototype.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_163503.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	581650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_190006.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	581651   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_191016.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	581652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_192623.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	581653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_193124.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	581654  

Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here I have the power port plugs installed. I didn't have a pic of this before on board 1. Just have to get my power wires ready to go and will be set.

View from the top, ready to go and continue on.

Both custom balance board finished. Now I can start some layout of my deck and get cracking on that!

After all this time hogging up the bench and having everything right where I needed it, my assembly bench was in dire need of some TLC and cleaning. Once of these day's I'll repaint it, or put down a sheet of plastic to protect the top. The yellow stain is a drop of that ferric chloride and I tried to clean it up with a paper towel. Made a mess!! At least it wasn't the new counter top in the kitchen!!!

With that area cleaned off, I'll attempt to take care of this corner next. After I get my case done that is. Most of this is all charger case stuff, so it'll stay put till I'm finished.

[img]https://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581662&stc=1&d=1429715 462]/img]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150421_193344.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	581655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_193514.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	581656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_193836.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	581657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_195644.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	581661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_195651.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	581662  

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I did make some progress last night, things are defiantly slowing down. The first balance board took maybe a couple weeks from start to finish. The second board I think I had done in about 3-4 days. Now on to the tougher part, where to put everything, which isn't so bad, but how to support the under sides and how to mount my power supply I think is going to be the harder part. I've gotten some things I need to order and get on the way to have ready for when the time comes.

Here I just did some simple layout lines. I'm a symmetry person, so what's on one side, should be on the other. That's just a personal preference, but also makes things easier. If you have your measurements done right, what you do on one side, should be the exact measurement the other direction on the other side.

One thing I'm having to tackle is cooling for my power supply. I'm using a Meanwell 2kW power supply. It has it's own fans so I don't have to add any. I'm limited in what holes I can cut, and I am not at all a fan of cutting any holes in my case. The only way I'd cut holes in my case is if it's a last resort sort of thing. I just don't like doing it, not even for power. If it's a waterproof case, I like to keep it like that. I need to verify the direction of air flow, but I'm thinking I'll have some exhaust ports on the right hand side of the right 4010 duo, and 2 smaller intake ports on the left side, next to the power plug in. I know those ports probably won't be big enough so under the left 4010 duo I'm going to have a hidden hole to allow more air in, as the heatsink for the 4010 duo needs air, that'll be a good input for air for the power supply as well. I'll monitor the temps with my temp gun, and if things get too warm, I'll change it up.

I did get some component layout done last night, but I didn't get any pics of it. Once I'm confident in the layout, and start cutting it out, I'll get some pics. Might be a little bit before some updated pics, as I'm not the speediest with it comes to this stuff. I'm also thinking I might have to lower my deck at the lid is very very close to the top of the chargers. The top deck will actually have cutout holes for the charger and another deck under that, that the chargers will be velcro-ed to. I hope that's enough clearance or I'll have to stand and make the decks a little smaller to go down in the case a tad bit further (which is a pain in the arse to do!!)

So will see what progress I get done tonight. Enjoy the pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150421_200340.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	581663  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
....Since it was heavy and big enough, I couldn't get it down in my basement, down 20 flights of stairs, so had to get some wrenches out and disassemble and take it down in pieces. ....
Do you live in a bunker, or a castle?

Kidding aside, when you or Mark claim it's a DIY project, you're serious...
WI_Hedgehog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice case!! I have a sheet of 30" x 24" glass on my bench, easy to clean, set my soldering right on it, when I'm building I just squeeze a bit of loctite in a little puddle and wipe it up when I I'm done. Have had to replace the glass a few times from dropping heavy tools on it but it's only $15 for a sheet.
CrashNburn420 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkrause View Post
Do you live in a bunker, or a castle?

Kidding aside, when you or Mark claim it's a DIY project, you're serious...
Neither. Just a small 2500 square foot prefab house with a basement. The basement is unfinished, and well most of it I store wood to burn during the winter. Nothing like having the house 75-80 all winter long, just throw another log in the fire. The other 1/3 of the basement is my shop. I used to do some wood working but having done any in a long time and have sold some of my equipment. I'm more fascinated by metal working, but don't have the space for a complete shop like I'd love to have. I make due with what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
Nice case!! I have a sheet of 30" x 24" glass on my bench, easy to clean, set my soldering right on it, when I'm building I just squeeze a bit of loctite in a little puddle and wipe it up when I I'm done. Have had to replace the glass a few times from dropping heavy tools on it but it's only $15 for a sheet.
That's good idea, but I'd be buying glass left and right!! I just do it on my old dirty bench and get some drops on floor. Give it kick and well I can sweep it up. Gives the floor some character.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

So last night was some slow progress, but I did move forward. I started cutting out the spots where the 4010 Duo's are going to sit. The material is an acrylic and machining it is way different then the material the balance boards were made out of. I started with a small bit, high rpm and noticed the flutes were clogging up pretty quickly. I played around with some feeds and speeds, and changed to a 2 flute end mill. That seemed to work better as well as having some constant air on the bit. It was slow going as I was only talking about a millimeter per pass and I was hand feeding everything. Along with that was finding a good way to hold the work piece down from moving. I did find that through some vibration the clamps did come loose, but I was able to clean it up with a file. Nothing too precise here needed, so it's all good!

Here's the first 4010 cut out is being done.

The second spot for the other 4010 cut out.

Just checking the fit, and everything is good to go. So on to the next cut outs.

I have a couple gauges that I want installed and those I had to have fairly accurate because too big and the gauges won't stay in. Using the DROs I was able to get some accurate holes machined. I ended up having to touch up the corners with a file, but after that, both gauges dropped right in and were nice and snug.

That's all I got done last night, as my feet were starting to bother me from standing a lot
I've gotten a lot done this week, with getting the balance boards finished and a good start on the layout of the deck lid. Will see if I get back to things tonight. I've got some more supplies on order to help with the interior of the case, that'll be the next challenge, where to put the goods and how to run the wiring!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150422_181808.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	581856   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_185811.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	581860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_190034.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	581861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_202637.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	581862  
Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a nice mill you have there. I like the X-axis feed and DRO.

Couldn't help but think that the tool to use on the acrylic plate is a CNC laser engraver though. Simply load the drawing and go. No clogging flutes and it leaves a nice polished edge.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. I look forward to possibly using some of your ideas when I get around to making my case. (The usb power is a nice touch also.)
Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow This is going to be a big case. I realized it when I saw not one but two iCharger.
I have been holding up for a charger case for a long time and looking around but like you nothing seemed right. I am anxious to see your solutions and the outcome.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang it! You've got me looking at mills now....

This looks about my speed...

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1387807683

Last edited by mkovalcson; 04-23-2015 at 01:48 PM..
mkovalcson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grimmy itís looking nice, very nice a real labour of love.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Wow This is going to be a big case. I realized it when I saw not one but two iCharger.
I have been holding up for a charger case for a long time and looking around but like you nothing seemed right. I am anxious to see your solutions and the outcome.
Well the reason I chose such a big case, I'm hoping to put some field tools in there as well as my lipos, so I don't have to lug around my toolbox/RC shop. I know it's going to have some weight to it, so the wheels will come in handy. I actually am in a little debate right now, as they make a case that's a little bigger, that would forsurely give me the room that I'm after, but well I'd have to start the deck lid all over. I'll finish this one and see how I like it. If I don't, then come next winter I'll redo it and transfer everything over, or sell it and build another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Dang it! You've got me looking at mills now....

This looks about my speed...

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1387807683
I actually considered one from them. After having my mill, I'm glad I spent the extra money to get the DROs. That there is so worth every penny, as the accuracy in the movements you make is right on......if your machine is square and setup properly. Another thing that helped me out, I have a friend that got me some tooling and I can call and talk about how to do things, feeds and speeds, and such. He's a CNC machinist where I'm doing everything manually, but he's been a big help. I probably have close to the same amount in tooling as I do the mill. Here's the mill that I got:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill...-and-DRO/G0759

It was on back order when I placed my order and then got jacked around for 2 months before it finally showed up. Another place I've gotten tooling is www.use-enco.com. Sign up for their specials and you get can get free shipping offers and up to 25% off. I've gotten stuff pretty quick from them as well. Just remember, this stuff is cast and very very heavy. The reason I picked the mill I did was mainly due to the weight ........and the DROs. Anything above that and the weight jumped up in a hurry, to 700+ pounds. I'd love to have a knee mill but I'd have to break it down into so many pieces and then reassemble, and then run a dedicated 220V circuit. I want a variable frequency drive to run any rpm I choose, and most of those are belt or gear driven to only certain speeds.

Then again it all depends on what you want to do with it. Littlemachineshop I think makes some good stuff and is great for people in our hobby. I've been thinking about getting a lathe from them......don't know what I'd do with it, but it'd be nice to have just in case.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

This stuff just looks too cool, but I think my enthusiasm is ahead of my need for the equipment. I think I'll stick with wood for a while and save this for later.

However, yes I would definitely get the DRO's and a starter set of end mills.

They do get REALLY heavy in a hurry don't they? The one I was looking at is about half the weight of the unit you got but doesn't come with the stand.

I would have to put it against the back wall of my garage, but I don't think I could put this on casters. It seems like it would need to be solid on the floor.

What you got really does look like a nice mill, and by the time I got the DRO's, Chuck etc. for the unit I was looking at the prices start to get REALLY close.

Something to think about...
Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will go the easier way for my mill:

Go to a friend who has a shopThis guy will do pretty much anything. The only problem will be to find time in his scheduled work to use his machines.

Just looking for an idea to steal right now hence my interest in this thread. Hope you don't mind.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out Shopmasterusa.com for a nice home CNC system. I may trade mine in for the latest model.

Also mscdirect.com for tooling etc.
Glenn Goodlett is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I've have a few day away from the shop as I had some events planned for another hobby that I partake in. It was good to get away and regather my thoughts and do some thinking about how to tackle some things I foresee I'll run into and need to take care of. After some time off, it was good get back to this project and move forward. So continuing on with my charger project, I'm now working on the deck lid and the cut out of all the devices.

Here I'm removing a cutout for one of the balance boards to allow the wires to pass through. I don't have to be precise at all on this as it won't be seen.

Here I'm lining where my measurements are for the second balance board cut out.

Got the cut out finished.

Here's what the deck lid looks like after the balance holes are cut out.

Now the part I'm not quite sure about, the removable part for the compartment underneath. I ran into the limitations of my mill here, as on the Y axis I didn't have enough travel. I was short little over and inch. Looks like I will have to unclamp the part, move it, and tram it in so things are straight. Not hard to do but can be very time consuming.

And this is what it looks like now:

Everything went fairly well. I did manage to have a piece of the material come up and hit me in the eye and get stuck, so I had a little break as I ran to the bathroom and tried to get it out. After about 5 minutes of trying to find it, the piece finally moved over my pupil and I was able to get it with a Kleenex. Note to self, watch where you are blowing the chips and I made a move with my hand and it directed the chips from the acrylic right at me. I guess I should have put my glasses on, but good lesson learned.

Moving on, I did some test fitting as a big portion of the lid was removed. I'm a little on the tight side yet, and I ran a file around the outside edges. I'm thinking I might have to rig something up, maybe break out the old router, to shave a small amount off the outer edge of the lid, due to needing the lid lower in the case, due to the height of the 4010 Duos. I can now start on the under lid that the chargers will sit on. It's made of expanded PVC. I'm hoping that should go quick and the measurements for those cutouts can really be done by eye.

Not sure if I'll get more done on it tonight or not. I'm currently in the waiting room at the hospital as a good friend is having a knee replacement done. I might have a couple hour drive to run some errands once I leave the hospital as well, so I might call it an early night. Will have to see.

Enjoy the pics. I got more parts on the way to do the structure under the lid to hold all the goodies. Will see how that goes when I get to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150427_192656.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	582745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150427_195532.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	582746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150427_200627.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	582747   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150427_201022.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	582748   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150427_205303.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	582749  

Name:	20150427_214031.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	582750  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in