Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
I have some brackets or custom shaped clamps I'm wanting to make for my UTV to hang some mud flaps from, but I want them easily removable. I have a few other odds and ends stuff I want to make. Never know I might not like this case setup after I use it a bit and might start over and build another one. I don't know if I want to advertise custom cases and they are very very time consuming. Not having made one like this, I've ordering stuff all the time it seems.
Building a charging case is time consuming?

I have no idea what you are talking about..
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well you got me on that one. I didn't think about yours. I think I've been messing around on mine for better part of 3 weeks, but had a week I didn't get much done (last week). With the balance boards though, the second one went a lot faster. Of course I had all the bits out and collets out that I needed just on the bench near the mill.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW I've been doing some thinking about the market for this stuff.

My guess is that there are two markets. The smaller market would be for guys who want a turnkey masterpiece that is highly customized. The larger market would be for things that many people would like to use for something they are building themselves.

The highly customized market will be cool and probably more fun, but the gravy would be in the production of parts for standard charging units that people can hook together to build things that would save them time or get them to a level they couldn't get to on their own.

If I considered doing anything I would probably start small with simple sections that held standard charging units, a balance board and batteries in place for charging, Then if that worked I would keep adding options for standard products that could be easily mass produced and be easily integrated into whatever people are building.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

So was able to get some more done last night, in the little time that I had. I made the slots for the wires and cables to pass thought to go to the Duo's. Here's the first slot, nice and clean.

Milling the second slot.

Third and 4th slot done.

I mounted up the balance board, and just hand drilled those holes in, ran the wires to see how they fit and just set the chargers in place. Looking good so far.

On a good note, I did find that I had another piece of acrylic that matches the top piece, so I can make the removable lid. Also I was surprised the 2 pieces glued together stiffened things up pretty well where I won't have to add as much support as I thought I would have had to. Next I want to put the deck in the case and check my height as last I was checking I think I was going to have to lower the deck a little to clear the Duo's on the case lid. Doing that will require having to shave a little around the edges, which isn't easy. Several quick passes on the belt sander or with a hand file seem to work best but it's a very slow process. Hope to get that done tonight if I get a chance to work on it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150506_200120.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	584469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150506_200414.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	584470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150506_201556.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	584471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150506_203921.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	584472  
Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I didn't have a lot of time last night to work on this, but I did get some things done. I got some support pieces installed and glued down. While the 2 pieces, the acrylic and the PVC sheet glued together would have been strong enough, I wanted a little more support. So I glued in some 3/4" by 3/4" square pvc to add some strength and so I have a place to put some supports to hold the whole lid up. I did add a couple pieces in the upper corners but I didn't get pics of those.

Again getting more use out of my rotary table. It isn't getting any lighter either. I need an over head hoist or something to move it around!!

Just doing a test fit and some last minute measurements. I ended up having to move the lid down about 1/4" as it was barely hitting on top of the Duo's. Now I can take my measurements to the bottom of the case and know how long to cut my support pieces. With having to move the lid down, I had to hand file around some of the edges as my sander isn't here yet and I didn't have to take much off. Sanding acrylic isn't very fun, and it tends to come off and leave little melted balls every where and it just doesn't clean up very nice. I good rasp file worked well to just shave the edges a little. It's still on the tight side, but I'm ok with that as it will help hold it in place.

That's about all I got done last night. I did start to mount some gauges, but I didn't get any pics. I'll try to do that tonight, and I can start the wiring and underside how things are going to mount so I can get my power supply mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150508_161755.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	584818   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_161915.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	584819   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_195438.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	584820  
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Again getting more use out of my rotary table. It isn't getting any lighter either. I need an over head hoist or something to move it around!!
Something like this? Or are you wanting a ceiling mounted system?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...9512-9073.html
Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would work for sure!! Just have to find a place to put it when I'm not using it, as I'm running out of room to store stuff. I'm also thinking about a roll away toolbox to store all my mill stuff in, but well I've got other expenses that'll be due this month, so that'll have to wait a bit.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm running out of room to store stuff.
I'm right there with you.

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" (5 min 9 sec)
Old 05-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got some time in on my project yesterday after work. I didn't get as many pics as I wanted but I made some good progress. I ran into a few hurdles though, but they are solved and awaiting parts. Here I got the 2 gauges installed. The top gauge didn't fit very tight as the holders aren't the best, so I applied a small dab a glue to them and well I'll have to probably bust it out if I need to remove it. The top one will report how much is being drawn from the whole charging unit, and be exactly what my generator sees. The bottom one is what my power supply it outputting. I know the Duo's report what they are drawing, but I don't think it includes powering up the unit themselves. Also this way I don't have to add, I can just check. I've had the gauge for quite some time so time to put it to good use. The instructions weren't very clear so will have to try it and see how it works.

I also did some looking at the case and well I had piece of the case that had to be removed so I could get the power supply where I wanted it.

Mounted the shunt for the DC amp gauge.

Had to put some ring terminals on some of the gauge wires and the wires were very very small. So in order to make sure they make a good connection, I soldered them to the ring terminals. They aren't going anywhere now.

I didn't have a terminal for big enough for this small wire, so I did the next best thing, soldered it right to the ring terminal for the DC positive side.

That's all I got pics of. I'll try to snap another one tonight, as I got a lot more wiring done. The charger's wires are ready to hook up. I got the power plug soldered up and installed and screwed down. Pretty much just have to hook the power supply up and put everything in the case. I'm still toying with installing an outlet under the trap door. That should be fairly simply. That'll come later once the deck is installed. Other then that, pretty much was extending some wires that were on the gauges. I wish they came with 12" leads instead of 2" leads, but I guess that's what I get when you get something from China.

I'm waiting on some parts to install the power supply and to use a plug on the power supply to supply power to the DC gauge. The gauge requires 4.5-30VDC but my power supply outputs 48V. There's a plug on it that's low current that I plan on tapping into to supply power for it, but I forgot to order the pins for it. I'm hoping they are here mid week or sooner. $4 shipping for $.30 worth of parts. I ordered 10 pins to somewhat make it worth it. I'm hoping by next weekend I should be just about done. Come on UPS and USPS!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150509_151035.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	585014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_155057.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	585015   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_155845.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	585016   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_161001.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	585017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_162926.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	585019  

Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simply amazing some of you guys have the free time to spend this way.Even to spend the time to document, photo and publicized your thingies here suprises me.Anyway , cary on.
IgorSky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorSky View Post
Simply amazing some of you guys have the free time to spend this way.Even to spend the time to document, photo and publicized your thingies here suprises me.Anyway , cary on.
Well I set a goal of having my charging case done before doing any flying. There's only been a few days that I have actually wanted to go flying, but well knowing that my setup is in pieces, it motivated me more to get my case done. Lately the weather hasn't been very good to fly anyways. I don't like flying in high wind as it takes the fun out of it. I tend to take pics as it's a good quick break from what I'm doing and gives me a chance to gather my thoughts. Publishing them, well I'm fortunate I have lots of free time at work, and well I have to have something to pass the time.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got back to things a little bit last night. I realized that the wires on my power port weren't long enough to be able to go through the current transformer doughnut so I had to remove what was there and resolder some longer wires on. I got a pic of it this time.

As promised in an earlier post, here's a snap of my wiring. It looks like a mess but I got some clean up to do and once I get my power supply mounted, it'll look much nicer.

I'm sorta at a stand still till I get some parts in that I need. So I started on the removable lid. I got a good straight edge machined.

I'm making some helpers to help keep that lid straight while having to move it cause my table won't move enough to machine all of the lid. That's helping pass the time. I got some square delrin that I'm machining to make some guides and I had an idea for another one late last night, that I hope to get machined tonight. I'll get some pics when I get them made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150510_191439.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	585188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150510_192720.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	585189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150510_195344.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	585190  
Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't make a lot of progress last night, but I did get more done on the removable lid. I had to some up with a way where I could clamp my work piece down, do some machining, unclamp it and move it and clamp it back up and keep it straight. So I made some helper blocks that fit in the T slots of my table to help hold the work piece square. You can see them in the pics. I'll have to get a better pic tonight.

Here you can see the block that I made (1 of 4, 2 sets) I was only able to machine so much till I would run into my clamps. So I have a lot of clamping and repositioning of the work piece to do.

I did clamp 2 of my blocks down after squaring them up to the table and making them even across so I can slide the work piece right up to it and being able to traverse the other direction and know I'm square. I got one side done last night, and hope to do the other. I will have to hand cut the part that goes in the front of the case and shave it down to match and then cut to length. On the other side, my parts should be here end of the week, but I'm gone all weekend, so looks like next week will be the big push to get things done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150511_195549.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	585357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150511_200748.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	585358  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a little bit more work done last night. I finished up the one side of the lid piece and started looked at the front of the lid piece. Here I just repositioned as I was out of travel or running into my clamps, and finishing up the cut.

Here I rotated it 180 to do the other side.

I did some measuring and the lid piece will be easier then I thought. I thought I was going to have to hand shave the front of the lid piece, but after measuring and comparing, the front of the piece is actually straight. So I was able to to some quick measurements and mill the front of the lid piece. I didn't get a pic of it, but instead I took a quick video of it. I sped the video up by 2. It's boring to watch, but you get the idea of things. If there's enough interest I can upload it again so you can watch in real time what I get to watch. Acrylic is pain to machine and it's slow.

Milling on my Grizzly 0759 (3 min 31 sec)

I got that done late last night. I'm wanting to do a cutout on the front of the lid and well I haven't used my rotary table yet, so I did some doodling on the protective paper to see what I liked and such. I figured out how to use my rotary table for this cut out. So I started cleaning all the gunky off it. It comes with some protective spray on it so it won't rust. I had to put some oil in it to keep the gears lubed. I ran into an issue where the handle was detached from the table, but I guess that's suppose to happy, I just had to read the directions of how to get it back engaged. I'm hoping tonight I'll get the table on the mill table and be able to get things dialed in and my work piece where I want it and mill my partial moon out. Maybe I'll take another video of that at the same time. After this piece is done, it's assembly time. My parts I have on order are to be in on Friday. Won't be long now!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150512_185211.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	585621   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150512_185218.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	585622  
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

You got the motor drive too Love it! More envious now that I know I can't get one any time soon.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got the throw up my rotary table last night on the mill table!! I think I might need an over head crane or hoist to help with this, as this table is very very heavy. I had to move it about 10 feet and my fingers were starting to hurt from where I had to hold on to it. I didn't want to drop it on the table but the thought crossed my mind!! I think the table it about 130 pounds!!

It took me a while to get this clamped in the right position as I didn't have a center point and because the piece was so big, I could only rotate it so far before I'd hit something, so my travel was limited.

So I was finally able to get a piece that I wanted cut out. To get it cut out though I had to change my position on my mill table and my rotary table was hitting the column that the spindled rides up and down on. So I had a bump in my arc that I machined out. It was after this that I discovered my measurements were off, as I forgot to compensate for 1/2 of the diameter of the bit. I ended up putting a bigger bit in, 5/8" (biggest I have) and I was able to clean up the cut, but it was a little bigger then I planned, but it turned out good.

Got the piece deburred and all sharp edges and points are nice and rounded. Checked the fit and it was perfect!

Now I'm done milling pieces and I checked that today my order is to be in, so it's all assembly from here. Oh, I might have to make a few small machined spots on the lid to compensate for the velcro I need to put on it yet. Should have it finished up next week some time at the very latest!! Can't wait as this has been long drawn out project, with a lot of learning in the process. The next one should go much quicker!! I'm away for the weekend, so enjoy the pics, and hope to have something more early next week!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150513_200311.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	585821   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150513_203222.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	585822   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150513_203427.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	585823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150513_205411.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	585824  
Old 05-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work!

Of course I'm still drooling over your equipment. That rotary vice looks really nice!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! Machining is only half the battle though. Now to get everything together and make it look nice. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though! I'm ready....then I can get to flying!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well my other goodies showed up yesterday, so it's assembly time!!

Got the custom made balance boards bolted down and secured.

Got velcro on the bottom of the chargers and got them in place. Also ran the balance wires.

Here's the connectors that I'm using that will plug into the charger. I like the 2 set screws to hold the wire in!!

This connectors make for a nice clean look.

Got one balance board power ran and hooked up.

Got the wiring done on one side and tidied up how I wanted it. A little extra wire on the balance boards, but I wasn't sure how much I needed.

Got both sides wired and looking neat.

Got all the power supply connections terminated and ready to drop in.

Starting to look like a charging setup.

I'm off for the weekend so earliest time I'll get to drop it in will be Sunday. Need to just make some risers and glue them in, and finish fitting the lid and will be finished. I was happy with what I got done last night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150514_181634.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	585978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_182812.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	585979   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_183517.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	585980   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_183736.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	585981   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_191009.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	585982  

Name:	20150514_192104.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	585983   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_200903.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	585984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_203451.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	585985   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_203913.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	585986  
Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice. Where is the order form?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in