Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Learn from my mistake

I built my first multi rotor yesterday, an Arris Xspeed with 5x3 composite props, and 2600kv brushless outrunners. The build took all day and when I finally got my CC3d programmed I took special care to make sure no propellers were attached. Got it all set up and tried my first hover late in the evening and it flipped without taking off, breaking one of the blades.

Fast forward to 3 in the morning. I had an insight as to what was wrong and couldn't wait so I plugged it into my PC and re-did the initialzation including ESC and motor sections, again removing the blades. I finished, put the 3 remaining blades back on, not to fly but to test the gyros to see if it wanted to self level.

Realized I didn't have it perfectly level the 2nd time, so hooked it back up to reinit a 3rd time. Because the 2 previous times, the motors stayed off even during ESC setup, I did the stupid thing of leaving them on. I broke one earlier on my first attempt to take off and so there were only 3 props on it.

I got to the ESC calibration and hit start, and heard the ESC's make the reset noise, waited a second, and hit stop, and the next thing I knew I was punched in the chest, and blood was coming out of several new vents in my chest. I had somehow unplugged the battery in that blur of motion, but it wasn't enough to stop 1/2" to 1"long and 1/4" deep lacerations, 5 in total.

Twice before I had done this and the motors never spun up, the one time I left the props on, they went to full power and I'm just lucky it was my chest and not my face.

I'm a heli pilot, I thought 5" props, what a joke. This injury was worse than any I've ever received from heli (almost none because I respect them) but I didn't respect the quad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad-accident-2.jpg (155.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg quad-accident-1.jpg (147.7 KB, 94 views)

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX

Last edited by kodack10; 07-19-2015 at 07:06 PM..
kodack10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry you got hurt. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Not to rub salt in a wound but any time you are servicing your bird and it requires spinning up the motors or programming FC or ESC, the props come off.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes. Every time (from now on) the props come off. I now respect quads lethality the way I do a helis.

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

A couple of those cuts look like they could use some stitches.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I wanted to go to the ER at first but my wife talked me out of it. I'm going to the dr tomorrow and let him take a look. Given where they are, the lack of any further bleeding, and their shallow depth he probably won't suture. It's like 1/4" deep at the deepest part but most of it is more like 1/8" which is right at the border line of stitches or not. I'll probably be allright with some antibiotics. For future safety I've taken the precaution of ordering a surgical staple gun to keep in my flight bag. They are surprisingly cheap, like $6 and if I ever have a bad heli day it might keep me together so I can drive to the ER.

Update: All patched up, they looked worse than they were. Doctor cleaned and fixed me up today. I was lucky and stupid.

Last edited by kodack10; 07-20-2015 at 08:29 PM..
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll admit that I had two close calls under very similar conditions. Both while also messing with my CC3D. The second one would have seriously injured my cat if she didn't have... cat-like reflexes..! Luckily, I (and my cats) came out of both incidents unscathed. And no one would know about it if I wasn't posting this... but there's nothing like public shaming to help you remember what NOT to do.

Last edited by adamky; 07-23-2015 at 12:50 AM..
adamky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finished my build tonight and put new plastic props on. Flew like a charm. I also realized when I completed calibration, that I made a 2nd mistake. I chock it up to it being 4am and being tired, but I think what happened is that when you calibrate the ESC, you're supposed to begin with the battery disconnected, then hit start, then connect the battery, then hit stop. Well I think I had the battery connected, THEN hit start. My guess is what the open pilot software was doing was power on in a full throttle state to put the ESC's into a recalibration mode, then going to 0 when stop is hit. The ESC's won't engage on boot unless the throttle is at 0 so when I hit that start button, I had effectively set throttle to full, and BAM. The cuts are healing cleanly but itch like crazy. I did a test hover and confirmed everything is working including on board video. Tomorrow will be my first real flight outdoors. Wish me luck.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

. Nice one! Thanks for sharing .
Old 07-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, Murphy's at its best! There's always that 1 time out of 100 where you slack off on safety and all the planets just somehow line up and things happen.

When I do dynamic-balancing on the props I always make sure to restraint the quad before I enable motor control on the phone app EZ-GUI. This 1 time I had to set down my phone on the table and remove my other hand from the quad so that I could go grab some tool. When I set down the phone on the table the screen changed orientation such that the unchecked box (to enable motor control) was now in close proximity to where my thumb was while holding the phone by its edge (I made special note that the check box before the screen orientation change was nowhere near any of my fingers). And of course my thumb hit the check box right after the screen orientation changed that put the box right underneath my thumb. Not only that, the metal hook from my neckstrap (not clipped to my TX at this point) somehow dropped onto my phone screen at the exact position on the slider where it would put the throttle to maximum. My quad did a super quick 180deg flip on the bench. The prop hit a blister pack of 100-pc M2.5 screws. The blister pack exploded. The screws flew everywhere (I still find a screw or 2 from time to time after almost a year) and the whole pack dropped onto the floor with less than half of the content left inside. The prop self-loosened (I run all right-hand thread motors) and flew out into some blackhole in the room nowhere to be seen. It still hasn't re-surfaced after almost a year now. Luckily there was no personal injury or more property damage. But I mean, what are the chances of accidentally changing screen orientation on the phone such that the check box and motor throttle slider max positions turn into the exact positions on the extreme opposite ends of the screen where 2 unrelated accidental hits would perfectly aim at them?
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in