Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Scale Projects <790

Scale Projects <790 Scale Projects <790 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #381 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch. It was well worth the time and effort to get this model back in shape. There is still some work to do on it but it is a few hours to get the lighting back in operation. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 AM   #382 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats Don!
Xsiluro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #383 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks Peter. IRCHA flying starts tomorrow but I will not be competing. I will be helping out where needed and might have an entry not it next year. Long story but it is a fair way to balance the two competitions. Take care.

Don
Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #384 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

A small update. Since the crash in California, I have not had the lighting in operation. I had intended to quickly move it to another body but that has stalled for a while now. That body will be done as an MH-6E Little Bird where there is no skid lighting but lots of small strobe markers around it (at least, I think they are strobes). This bird has had a rough time and this past month, through poor collective management in a low battery situation, I broke the front strut and messed up some of the woodwork. It was this hard landing that forced me to get off my butt and get the skids replaced plus put the lighting system back in.

It is a tedious process to make up the struts with the wiring set to be pushed through them. I tried inletting the wires in the leading edge of the strut and although it worked great, if a strut broke. Factory skids have an awful time handling a very heavy helicopter, as they are really meant to have not much more than the chassis inside, and certainly not 1.75lbs. of pilots plus a full plywood cockpit nor a 12s set of batteries. I only need to paint them and do the final installation of the wires across the floor of the body.

The cockpit is the last thing to tackle and it will require the pilots be removed along with the windows so that I can put back in the landing light, connect the instrument panel, install the white light for overall lighting once the landing lights come on, and hook up the TOW sight once more. This is putting it back to an improved version of the helicopter I had at HSM 2013. I can put a brand new windscreen on if I need as I have three in total on hand.

I will take pictures of the completed rebuild as all other parts builds have been covered in the past. I hope to get it up in the air tomorrow and will try a set of 105mm blades just to see what happens. I need to be very careful how and where I put this down as the blades stick out past the tail skid wire by a few millimeters. When I re-installed the horizontal stab lighting wire last night, I had nightmares about feeding the wire down the inside of the vertical fin. It turned out to be a non-event that took no more than 5 minutes to work it in and then fish it out with a set of tweezers. Child's play. Anyhow, take care and pics soon to follow.

Don
Old 09-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #385 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Here are some pictures that I took this evening after my last flight for the night. I will do some aging on the skids before I head south to Florida so it doesn't look like they just were out of the paint shop, lol. The rest looks really weathered now even without any aging done by me. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Rebuild 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	611264   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Rebuild 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	611265   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Rebuild 3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	611266  
Old 10-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #386 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks awesome Don!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #387 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi guys:

I have some sad news to post. While taking off at a warbirds event in Florida, a pitch link let go and the TOW Defender took a nose dive from only 5 feet up and is a total loss. The body is completely ruined and will not be rebuilt but the body will be used for patches to make up a brand new MH-6 Little Bird that is based at the American Helicopter Museum. It was fun, I had some great flights, and had a ball putting it into competitions all over the continent. I will be doing the same with the new helicopter once it is built. Thanks for all the tips and compliments. Take care.

Don
Old 10-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #388 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sad story of a beautiful helicopter. But I guess you'll name the next one Phoenix?

Good luck

Gh
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #389 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear of the crash Don. The fear we all have with scale models that embody sooo much time and effort.

Nelson
Old 10-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #390 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Don, so much of bad things happend while I was interrupted with setting of my daughter new room. I feel really sorry about outcome. Hope you will continue to make so nice scale stuff as you did.

Take care,
Peter
Xsiluro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #391 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks to all of you. You'll be happy to know that I have already put the electronics of my CH-139 to use in a brand new Heli-Baby 40th Anniversary Edition prototype. My next project is going to be the starting of an MH-6 Little Bird, a second CH-139 700 size, and a second Heli-Baby with the more powerful new motor being developed. I really have a great time building, posting, and helping others get their birds as best as they can build them. Take care.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.