Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Flamewheel Multirotor Support

Flamewheel Multirotor Support Flamewheel Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ready to order flame wheel f550

so... i have to say sorry for again asking the same old question...
on a first of may deals, im ready to order a f550, e300 and naza v2+gps combo...
not my first aircraft but my first multirotor.... (been flying planes for 3 years and converted to 3d helicopters for last 2 years)
but im a little bit confused... im pretty sure ill go 4s route.... but 4s how many mah? for the moment i have a couple of 4s 2650mah batts! i was thinking to run them in paralel (or was it series, i know the diagram, im just allways mixing up terms) to make it a 4s 5300 battery? or maybe to get a 4s 4000? or bigger? how many c's do i need? on my helis, the more c's the better, how about multirotors?

ultimately i would like to make it fpv setup + a go pro camera on a gimbal... but for now just to fly it empty how much battery is too much?

and propellers....everywhere im reading that stock dji props is breaking apart as soon as multirotor gets heavier... so carbon from the beginning? or while flying empty stock props is good? and what size propellers for 4s?

and most confusing part...
fast lad says, recomended propellers 10x3.8 - 8.4.5, recomended esc - 30A, but kit comes with 15A esc... while dji webpage says that 15A esc is recomended....

uff.... so much to understand... maybe i should just get a phantom and be done with it! or not to mess with multirotors at all? but i have a feeling that if i don't, ill have an itch for a long time to try...
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Don't ever feel bad about asking too many questions. We all had to start somewhere and asking questions can save you a ton of wasted money, time and heartache. Multirotors do seem a bit daunting at first, but hang in there and it'll all come to you. You'll pick up on what you need naturally. If you can resist the urge to buy RTF, you'll wind up knowing way more, but that sort of depends also on how much you lime tinkering.

For your f550, a 4S battery in the 5000 mAh range should give you good results. Not too big and heavy, but big enough for decent flight times. Non 3D quads are pretty easy on the peak current pulls, so a 30C battery should be fine.

As for the props, I've personally never had an issue in thousands of flights with DJI props breaking, but you might also check the ones from Graupner or APC. Carbon fiber is great too, but can get expensive for the very best.

A lot of people like to have plenty of overhead in their ESC, hence the suggestion for overrating them to 30A in your application, even though you could get by with 15A ones.

Hope this helps and just remember, the only dumb question is the question that's not asked.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my stock 550, e300, h4-3d (with hero 4), FPV setup, and retracts, I was using a 5200 4s lipo, and was weighing around 2800 grams - a bit heavy, but it still flew great. Was getting about 6.5 min. Also have LEDs on all the arms. In full elevator forward flight, the 550 would start veering left after a few seconds, from what I believe was a lack of overhead in the power system to keep it straight - not a huge deal considering that type of flight is rare for me. However, I wanted longer flights, so naturally I wanted a bigger battery. Being already heavy, I was now looking at new power systems - so I went with some 3506 700kv Tmotors, 18a Tmotors ESCs, and T-motor 12x4 carbon props, with aimdroix arms. This setup probably cost twice (or more) what the 550 cost me stock, but it was well worth it. Plenty of power now, and can fly for 20 minutes at least on an 8000mah 4s.

Temps were fine on the e300 system, i was just worried about toting my camera and gimbal around on a maxed out power system.

If you stay away from the heavy retracts, you will probably be fine.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The kits come with plastic 9.4X4.5 props. Unfortunately blades 350QX has made me very Leary of plastic props. I have been using the DJI CF props on my F450 since I got it and they have performed flawlessly. In fact, after many many months, I am still on the original set with no signs of wear.

The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Psywarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

you will like the 550 - that was one of the first multi rotors I had... wish I still had it! don't be discouraged... just jump in and do it! you will learn along the way... never be afraid to ask questions...
Old 05-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yup! I sure like mine.

Here's my build thread.
http://multirotorplatforms.com/showt...ild-(Completed)
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reviving my thread... Life got in the way and flamewheel frame is still sitting in the box. Recently I have been looking more into the phantom 3 advanced... Wow turns out it comes with a lightbridge! Now I'm seriously thinking... What is the point to go with f550 and (I think) worse live feed quality over the phantom? Isn't it smarter to get a phantom, and if I stick to aerial videos, save money for s900?
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the phantom is way better than the f550 can be.
Get the phantom, then save for the inspire. Skip the s900 unless you just need a heavy lifter or the redundancy for safety reasons. The inspire has the x5 camera which is incredible, and now you can change lenses.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

As much as I'm a DJI supporter, I don't like the higher end Phantoms. They are what I call a WYSIWYG model. You fly what their configuration is.

With a F550 you can configure it to just about any way you want it. It can lift more than a Phantom can and you use any sized battery you want. In a nutshell it's more configurable than a Phantom.

As for the plastic props, I haven had one break and I have a lot of weight on mine.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in