Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Phantom Multirotor Support


Phantom Multirotor Support Phantom Multirotor Support


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Torn between getting a Phantom and passing...advice please

When i first got into quads, I wanted to get into the aerial photography. So, i started out with a cheap quad to learn the basics and then wanted to move to a DJI or Typhoon. $1300 was a lot to spend so, I figured I would wait.

I bought my first Fpv drone and started to record video. After about the 3rd or 4th video, I started to video the same stuff over and over. I also started to get into the quads that would be more agile and found that the video recording was cool but not really used a lot. For me, its not about flying high as I can get in the air but enjoying cruising around an open space.

Now with the price drop of the DJI and Typhoon, I am interested but hesitant. I really enjoy stability of the quads and am not a speed nut so, I doubt I will ever get a racing quad. Those drive me nuts on my SIM because I always have to correct and reconnect them. I just go out and enjoy flying them. My concern is that i am going to pay close to $1000 for a drone that shoots video and that is all. Then 3 weeks later it will sit on a shelf. I really like the GPS lock, return to home and other tech stuff. I plan on going on vacation this summer to Maui and would like to bring it and at the same time, I wanted to take it to some national parks but they ban them there which kind of ruins it. Am I over rationalizing this? For those that have it, do you use it for more than just video? I would hate to see it as a $1000 paperweight.

Right now, I fly my quads inside daily and use my SIM everyday. I also fly my quads outside every weekend at a local park. I am also looking at branching out my interests to the helicopter market.
Tech_fan is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 586
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arkansas
Default

If you buy a dedicated camera platform, then it will be just that. I would love to have one of these myself. Just don't take enough pictures to justify.
__________________
Synergy 516, Inductrix FPV bl. SkyZone SK1 Goggles. Catylist Machineworks SpeedAddict 210R. Spektrum DX8G2. Phoenix Sim.
PhenixFord is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Default

You are smart! You are thinking it through before making a big investment. (1k is a big investment for me). As mentioned by the previous post, the Phantom and Yuneec are AP platforms. They are a photographers tool. Something I have/had to remind myself.

I was in the same boat as you with the same types of questions; How much am I really going to use it? Can I fly it where I think I could get good videos? How many of those place I envision using it are in NFZs. In the event of a fly-away, how lousy am I going to feel if I never recover my Quad?

I look back where I've been and think; "Man it would have been great to have an AP quad then"... If I think really hard about it, I ask myself; was it really a good place where you could have flown? Alot of the times, "no", because there wasn't enough clear space, too many tall trees, high winds (10k feet in the Rockies). I think of events where I could use it with our dog club. But most of those are a "no". Too many people, too many animals, would need approval from the show's coordinator, etc. Also like you we vacation in Hawaii, so I thought about taking it there this year which I will but who knows what NFZs I'll encounter.

Seems like for me, I'd have to go out in search of places where I can shoot. Rather than shoot places I'm at.

And like you I started with a small GPS-less Quad which I enjoyed the challenge of learning to fly. I then bought a QX3 as my first AP-multi-use Quad. Can be tame to fly when in its "safe" and "AP" mode or fun in Stability or Agility modes. But I agree, short of trying tricks I run a battery to keep my skills up a few times a week and I'm done, not necessarily bored per se.. But I'm done, only so many ways you can run up and down the street.

After much thought and the recent price drops I ordered a Yuneec Q500+, I say ordered as I cancelled it because it has software limitation on it that limits max operating altitude to 8k feet. Not good for those of us that already live at 6k and want to use it at altitudes in the 9-14k range.

I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced. Time will tell if I made a good decision. I too wonder if it will spend the majority of its time on a shelf waiting to take some awesome videos. Reckon' I can always sell it to my brother the photographer...

Good Luck!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_fan View Post
When i first got into quads, I wanted to get into the aerial photography. So, i started out with a cheap quad to learn the basics and then wanted to move to a DJI or Typhoon. $1300 was a lot to spend so, I figured I would wait.

I bought my first Fpv drone and started to record video. After about the 3rd or 4th video, I started to video the same stuff over and over. I also started to get into the quads that would be more agile and found that the video recording was cool but not really used a lot. For me, its not about flying high as I can get in the air but enjoying cruising around an open space.

Now with the price drop of the DJI and Typhoon, I am interested but hesitant. I really enjoy stability of the quads and am not a speed nut so, I doubt I will ever get a racing quad. Those drive me nuts on my SIM because I always have to correct and reconnect them. I just go out and enjoy flying them. My concern is that i am going to pay close to $1000 for a drone that shoots video and that is all. Then 3 weeks later it will sit on a shelf. I really like the GPS lock, return to home and other tech stuff. I plan on going on vacation this summer to Maui and would like to bring it and at the same time, I wanted to take it to some national parks but they ban them there which kind of ruins it. Am I over rationalizing this? For those that have it, do you use it for more than just video? I would hate to see it as a $1000 paperweight.

Right now, I fly my quads inside daily and use my SIM everyday. I also fly my quads outside every weekend at a local park. I am also looking at branching out my interests to the helicopter market.
BladeBart is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeBart View Post
You are smart! You are thinking it through before making a big investment. (1k is a big investment for me). As mentioned by the previous post, the Phantom and Yuneec are AP platforms. They are a photographers tool. Something I have/had to remind myself.



I was in the same boat as you with the same types of questions; How much am I really going to use it? Can I fly it where I think I could get good videos? How many of those place I envision using it are in NFZs. In the event of a fly-away, how lousy am I going to feel if I never recover my Quad?



I look back where I've been and think; "Man it would have been great to have an AP quad then"... If I think really hard about it, I ask myself; was it really a good place where you could have flown? Alot of the times, "no", because there wasn't enough clear space, too many tall trees, high winds (10k feet in the Rockies). I think of events where I could use it with our dog club. But most of those are a "no". Too many people, too many animals, would need approval from the show's coordinator, etc. Also like you we vacation in Hawaii, so I thought about taking it there this year which I will but who knows what NFZs I'll encounter.



Seems like for me, I'd have to go out in search of places where I can shoot. Rather than shoot places I'm at.



And like you I started with a small GPS-less Quad which I enjoyed the challenge of learning to fly. I then bought a QX3 as my first AP-multi-use Quad. Can be tame to fly when in its "safe" and "AP" mode or fun in Stability or Agility modes. But I agree, short of trying tricks I run a battery to keep my skills up a few times a week and I'm done, not necessarily bored per se.. But I'm done, only so many ways you can run up and down the street.



After much thought and the recent price drops I ordered a Yuneec Q500+, I say ordered as I cancelled it because it has software limitation on it that limits max operating altitude to 8k feet. Not good for those of us that already live at 6k and want to use it at altitudes in the 9-14k range.



I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced. Time will tell if I made a good decision. I too wonder if it will spend the majority of its time on a shelf waiting to take some awesome videos. Reckon' I can always sell it to my brother the photographer...



Good Luck!

OMG that sounds just like me. I have a Hubsan H4 and I bought 5 batteries for it. I thought great, I can take it out the park and run it for 50 minutes. After about the 2nd battery I was done and kept looking at my watch. I went through all the batteries but felt like the only reason why I was out that for that long was because I wanted to get through the batteries. After that the other 4 were placed on a shelf and never used.

I was thinking I could use it in Yosemite but then found out that they ban drones. Then I learned that supposedly you can't film in other places as well. That started to ruin it. Then there are times when I see the video footage from some peoples trips on YouTube and it's like wow.

I thought of using it for work but everywhere I wanted to use it there were restrictions. Let me know how much you use the DJI.
Tech_fan is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

A hex can do a lot more and carry a lot more. Something like a DJI F550 would fit the bill nicely.
setishock is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeBart View Post
You are smart! You are thinking it through before making a big investment. (1k is a big investment for me). As mentioned by the previous post, the Phantom and Yuneec are AP platforms. They are a photographers tool. Something I have/had to remind myself.

I was in the same boat as you with the same types of questions; How much am I really going to use it? Can I fly it where I think I could get good videos? How many of those place I envision using it are in NFZs. In the event of a fly-away, how lousy am I going to feel if I never recover my Quad?

I look back where I've been and think; "Man it would have been great to have an AP quad then"... If I think really hard about it, I ask myself; was it really a good place where you could have flown? Alot of the times, "no", because there wasn't enough clear space, too many tall trees, high winds (10k feet in the Rockies). I think of events where I could use it with our dog club. But most of those are a "no". Too many people, too many animals, would need approval from the show's coordinator, etc. Also like you we vacation in Hawaii, so I thought about taking it there this year which I will but who knows what NFZs I'll encounter.

Seems like for me, I'd have to go out in search of places where I can shoot. Rather than shoot places I'm at.

And like you I started with a small GPS-less Quad which I enjoyed the challenge of learning to fly. I then bought a QX3 as my first AP-multi-use Quad. Can be tame to fly when in its "safe" and "AP" mode or fun in Stability or Agility modes. But I agree, short of trying tricks I run a battery to keep my skills up a few times a week and I'm done, not necessarily bored per se.. But I'm done, only so many ways you can run up and down the street.

After much thought and the recent price drops I ordered a Yuneec Q500+, I say ordered as I cancelled it because it has software limitation on it that limits max operating altitude to 8k feet. Not good for those of us that already live at 6k and want to use it at altitudes in the 9-14k range.

I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced. Time will tell if I made a good decision. I too wonder if it will spend the majority of its time on a shelf waiting to take some awesome videos. Reckon' I can always sell it to my brother the photographer...

Good Luck!

Wound up getting the Typhoon and was a little nervous setting it all up today and wondering if i should return it before I started to fly it. All I can say was that it was awesome. That GPS lock really helped and allowed me to learn more about the controller. Normally I only get about 10-20 seconds at a time to look at my controller. Here I could mess with the menus and such to determine different things. It was the fastest 20 minutes flying with a drone that I had in a long time. I cannot wait to take it back up again.
Tech_fan is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Default

Good choice! It was actually my first choice but the 8k max operating altitude wouldn't work for me living here in CO.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_fan View Post
Wound up getting the Typhoon and was a little nervous setting it all up today and wondering if i should return it before I started to fly it. All I can say was that it was awesome. That GPS lock really helped and allowed me to learn more about the controller. Normally I only get about 10-20 seconds at a time to look at my controller. Here I could mess with the menus and such to determine different things. It was the fastest 20 minutes flying with a drone that I had in a long time. I cannot wait to take it back up again.
BladeBart is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © Website Acquisitions Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1