Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing all of these great videos! They are going to come in quite handy for me when I pick up my new 230S next Monday.... Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk52 View Post
Thanks for sharing all of these great videos! They are going to come in quite handy for me when I pick up my new 230S next Monday.... Can't wait!
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
Your welcome
Watching your vids, first off, thank you, great for those of us who are just getting into this heli.

Second, I noticed as soon as you get yours ready to fly in all your vids, your swash goes hard right (mine does the same damn thing). I have to give it hard left cyclic to keep it from flipping on take off (also makes it vibrate like a jackhammer until i give it steady left cyclic). I've downloaded and installed latest firmware, centered servos, calibrated and trim flighted it. Still goes hard right swash on spool up. Once she's airborne, she's rock steady.

Do you have to give yours left cyclic on spool up to keep it from flipping?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know I have to! I believe it's just another one of Blade helicopter quirks-seems like every micro heli they put out has its own set of problems. Once the 230 is in the air, it's rock solid though. Just be on that cyclic whenever you are spooling up and you will be fine.
frisbee99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee99 View Post
I know I have to! I believe it's just another one of Blade helicopter quirks-seems like every micro heli they put out has its own set of problems. Once the 230 is in the air, it's rock solid though. Just be on that cyclic whenever you are spooling up and you will be fine.
Your the third person to say this.... That settles it then, just have to man up and man handle her into the air! Haha.

Even though it sucks for us all, it is good to know i'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

The self-leveling tries to do its thing on take off. But the frame is glued to the ground by gravity. So the swash tries to tilt a little to make the frame level. But the frame doesn't move. So the swash goes farther to level it out. Rinse, repeat. Until you finally get off the ground and the frame can respond to self-leveling.

If you take off facing the opposite direction next time, I bet the swash leans hard to the other side.
Boulder53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I always have to give correction at take off then solid in flight. No fix for this that I'm aware of, just a quirk of Safe. You can start in intermediate mode and its better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeMf...zQKmfL&index=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by therick04pp View Post
Watching your vids, first off, thank you, great for those of us who are just getting into this heli.

Second, I noticed as soon as you get yours ready to fly in all your vids, your swash goes hard right (mine does the same damn thing). I have to give it hard left cyclic to keep it from flipping on take off (also makes it vibrate like a jackhammer until i give it steady left cyclic). I've downloaded and installed latest firmware, centered servos, calibrated and trim flighted it. Still goes hard right swash on spool up. Once she's airborne, she's rock steady.

Do you have to give yours left cyclic on spool up to keep it from flipping?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that last video.
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Thanks for that last video.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for reposting
Mikker 75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

New video showing main grip bearings
Blade 230s replacing main blade grip bearings (9 min 22 sec)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! I battled a wobble for the longest time. I changed the entire drivetrain and my issue was with the assembly of the head precisely the order of the shims and bearings. I used a picture I think Brian posted (when I saw it I saved it to my computer so I lost track of the original post) and fixed it that way. Now the wobble is gone. I still don't like how it flies though has a tilt to the right. I have not been able to go out on light wind to do a good trim flight. I am thinking I should get the swash leveler even if the FBL is supposed to trim itself. With all the issues I have had with it I have kind of let it alone and focused on my bigger 450 birds. I would really like to get it flying right it is perfect for backyard practice but I am tired of trying and trying while my 450's I can fix now no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
New video showing main grip bearings
Team Aeropanda / Skids Up Podcast host
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. Once you have done this a couple of times and you understand the placement of the parts its pretty easy.
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, I have a new 230s, so I hope someone can advise me:

I have a DX8 which has telemetry and I am trying to ascertain my firmware version. Everything is setup on the TX exactly as recommended in the manual, no changes at all.

My TX is bound and the 230s responds. When I go to the Flight Log on the Telemtery page and press the Trainer/Bind button (set to Aux2) to get the firmware version as shown in the video, the main blades quiver a bit but none of the values change from zero.

Right now she flies like #%*#

Any suggestions?

Thanks
naga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

How exactly does it fly? Are you trying it on self-level (Stability) mode?

I grew tired of fighting with it and now I will focus on making it fly properly on 3D mode and playing with DR to make it responsive but tame enough for me. I will play with the linkages until I can make it fly on a stable hover with CoG weighted to the front. Then I will start using it as a practice bird. I think I can hover well enough now to dump the training wheels and make it hover rock solid to start all orientation hover and figure 8's training. Rescue seems to work well it makes a punch out up and seems to climb stable so should work if I get into trouble.

Hopefully I can finally enjoy this helicopter. I had a lot is frustration trying to get it to fly right after a crash and trying to fly stable on Stability.

We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
Hi guys, I have a new 230s, so I hope someone can advise me:

I have a DX8 which has telemetry and I am trying to ascertain my firmware version. Everything is setup on the TX exactly as recommended in the manual, no changes at all.

My TX is bound and the 230s responds. When I go to the Flight Log on the Telemtery page and press the Trainer/Bind button (set to Aux2) to get the firmware version as shown in the video, the main blades quiver a bit but none of the values change from zero.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Any suggestions?
As Toad suggested, it would be really useful to know whether you are trying to fly in stability or IU, and exactly what undesired flight characteristics you're encountering.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does she fly?

In Stability mode take off is a nightmare, trying to tip into the ground. I have read up on the various threads and know that is "normal". Well it may well be "normal" for a Blade heli, but it is not very good, is it?

Once off the ground she needs a lot of cyclic to stop it from shooting off to the left and forward; a lot of stick, in any of the three flight modes.

I have yet to try a trimflight, (hopefully at the weekend if weather is OK).

Thinking I may well need to upgrade firmware, calibrate and new trimflight. I cannot determine the firmware version as I don't seem to be able to get that working in Telemetry on my DX8.

My fault .... I bought another Blade heli when I know better. Why don't their stuff fly right out the box? And I am still playing with the idea of buying the Apache! I must be nuts.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the 230 S club

If your skills allow just forget about Stability and try it all the way to Expert and play with DR and Expo. I know it will be much harder to fly than on safe level. I also purchased it under the impression it would be a self level wonder to regain my confidence after failed attempts with my 360 CFX.

I know that's not something they tell you but seems like self level for a helicopter is a really hard thing to do. I mean for the guys who developed the feature and programmed it into the unit.

The rescue option seems to work just fine though. You should just do a calibration (to be safe, it solves a random issue that happens mostly when pushing it a little hard) for which you need a separate cable, a computer, an Internet connection and a bubble level. Then do a few trim flights.

Inknow this is probably not what you wanted to hear. I am with you. I experienced lots of frustration with it. But yesterday evening on Expert it flew fine. My own inexperience and lack of patience have made me not enjoy it after I crashed it on my second pack after maiden. But I am still trying and seems like succeeding by treating it like just a regular CP helicopter with a rescue function.

Lots and lots of pilots who are experienced enough to forget about self level are enjoying it to the point of buying it again or another one. I guess getting what the marketing hype was all about was too much to ask from Blade. As a small, cheap, rescue-enabled, and easy to fix CP Heli it succeeds. As a self level beginner Heli to grow on it fails. However Blade will say it is targeted at Intermediate pilots. Their still available 200 SRX is the one targeted at beginners.

Get a sim (very really cheap starting options) start a training program then customize your Heli to tame it down via settings and you should be fine.

Quote:
How does she fly?

In Stability mode take off is a nightmare, trying to tip into the ground. I have read up on the various threads and know that is "normal". Well it may well be "normal" for a Blade heli, but it is not very good, is it?

Once off the ground she needs a lot of cyclic to stop it from shooting off to the left and forward; a lot of stick, in any of the three flight modes.

I have yet to try a trimflight, (hopefully at the weekend if weather is OK).

Thinking I may well need to upgrade firmware, calibrate and new trimflight. I cannot determine the firmware version as I don't seem to be able to get that working in Telemetry on my DX8.

My fault .... I bought another Blade heli when I know better. Why don't their stuff fly right out the box? And I am still playing with the idea of buying the Apache! I must be nuts.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your welcome and replies.

I have Phoenix SIM, and can fly a CP (not well) but I can fly Fig 8's and stuff although I have yet to go inverted. I started two years ago this month and have been training hard in Phoenix; four or five evenings a week for one or two hours.

I have the 200SRX (among many other helis) and can fly that fine.

What I was asking (and we seem to have gotten diverted) was how to ascertain the firmware version with a Telemetry enabled DX8 since the method of pressing the Trainer Button does not seem to work.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suffer from getting carried away. Very passionate for the hobby and I usually over-share.

I never did check the FW version on mine. I have a DX6 and although I know of the telemetry capability for FW version display, I just ordered the cable and performed a firmware upgrade. It is up to the latest version. I forget which one is it, just picked the very latest one. But you can probably check by attempting a calibration procedure that was introduced after release and after pilots started reporting the "yaw issue". If not available you at least know you have the original release version and highly likely you should upgrade as I said before on my ranting, just to be safe.

PS. By the way if you can fly figure 8's on a CP Heli your skills are better than mine.

Quote:
Thanks for your welcome and replies.

I have Phoenix SIM, and can fly a CP (not well) but I can fly Fig 8's and stuff although I have yet to go inverted. I started two years ago this month and have been training hard in Phoenix; four or five evenings a week for one or two hours.

I have the 200SRX (among many other helis) and can fly that fine.

What I was asking (and we seem to have gotten diverted) was how to ascertain the firmware version with a Telemetry enabled DX8 since the method of pressing the Trainer Button does not seem to work.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in