Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default FAA: Drone flies near Charlotte airport 3000 ft

What a idiot http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...airport/nmw8X/
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirehead70 View Post
why in the hell are all of these so high up??? I get to the 400' ceiling and I see no need to go higher....
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Woody View Post
why in the hell are all of these so high up??? I get to the 400' ceiling and I see no need to go higher....
People see these videos on YouTube of others flying up in the clouds and just want to recreate that. Just look at 99% of the videos on YouTube. It's mostly inane nonsense where the person thinks they're providing useful information or unique content when it's really just an avenue to inflate their own egos. It's no different here. We can only hope this knucklehead doesn't watch the news and is stupid enough to upload the video to show off to his mom.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
People see these videos on YouTube of others flying up in the clouds and just want to recreate that. Just look at 99% of the videos on YouTube. It's mostly inane nonsense where the person thinks they're providing useful information or unique content when it's really just an avenue to inflate their own egos. It's no different here. We can only hope this knucklehead doesn't watch the news and is stupid enough to upload the video to show off to his mom.
Add in the fact that that would take so freaking long to come back down that it wouldn't even be worth it.... Seriously 2100' is nuts high. There is no way in hell that guy built/bought something that is capable of that without running into some sort of warning from someone....
Old 07-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know pilots usually have excellent vision but how did he see it when his focus is in the cockpit on final approach? How did he see such a tiny object against a bright sky a hundred feet (he said) away?
You have to keep in mind they would blow by that thing at well over 200 miles per hour. That's like being a dragster doing 300 miles per hour and noticing a fly on the center line.
I'm thinking this may just be the pilot's 15 mins of fame.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I know pilots usually have excellent vision but how did he see it when his focus is in the cockpit on final approach? How did he see such a tiny object against a bright sky a hundred feet (he said) away?
You have to keep in mind they would blow by that thing at well over 200 miles per hour. That's like being a dragster doing 300 miles per hour and noticing a fly on the center line.
Thats my other comment but the article does make it sound like a positive identification. But again... That is still there.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It could have been silhouetted. If you are supposed to look at someone you will look at something. It seems rare to actually spot it during an eye wander but it's still possible to lock onto it's exact location and be like, drone.

Kind of like oddly looking around and looking directly at someone who is directly looking directly at you but looking at no where else prior to that visual lock-on and no sign to actually look there.

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldnt put it past the FAA to do this themselves just to create the news story. And I'm not joking. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXAHYDRATE View Post
I wouldnt put it past the FAA to do this themselves just to create the news story. And I'm not joking. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book.
Yep, it seems to use the media to play well to the agenda...
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Not only what setishock said , but there was an Alaska airline pilot landing at SeaTac and missed the runway completely and landed on a taxi strip. Yet these guys can positively identify a multirotor as they fly by at over 200 mph? Cmon man !! They must think we are stupid.
Russrcfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder what a "drone" looks like on the airliner's radar?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I found the chart that these pilots use to identify drones!

http://wordlesstech.com/wp-content/u...-2-640x443.jpg
Old 02-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Uff,there is a lot of free space and they must by force reach prohibited spaces?Mah!
jeremy51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in