Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quick World Wide

Quick World Wide QWW Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

well, i almost messed up my esc. i should have been using a bec. as many times as i watched those finless videos on the set up, you'd think i'd remember that. *shakes head*

anyway, i should be getting the bec this week, so more later on the set up of the cc60. thanks to the staff at castle creations for the help.

i did have it spooled up to about 60%. i think this thing will suit my flying style fine. i don't expect it to be a 3D monster, it's heavy. i would love to find a OH-58D scale body to put on this thing. i've seen videos of len mount and his turbine OH-58D.

i'm going to make a video later on when i get it in the air. don't expect to see 3D. sorry, but my flying skills are not up to the challenge yet.
rotorhead58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0956.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	47898Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0957.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	47899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0958.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	47900

well boys and girls, here it is. ready for the maiden flight. the cc60 set up went good. man, i'm glad those finless videos are there. i'm going to hover around, and break in my batteries, then we'll see how she flies. i did choose to mount the tail servo to the boom. i used trex 600 mounts from rc hover. i still have to put on the horizontal stabilizer, and a few other final touch up's. it took me a while to build this guy. i ran into a few minor set backs, but it turned out pretty good. the canopy needs work. i,m going to see irwin this weekend to see if he has some better options for a conopy. any other fly pilots out there?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
nice build. I'm not Fly pilot but I'm flying EP10 v1 for more than a year and half now. It seems that head is still the same on the Fly. I had some difficulties to setup it right to get +/- 10 degrees of pitch with decent cyclic and no binding.

My solution was to flip the pitch compensator upside down, flip flybar cage and use a few washers. After that my linkages are straight and binding is gone. There's a picture:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/..._3698-full.JPG

There's my canopy:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/..._3693-full.JPG
It's from Eco 8 but it's not original one. Unfortunately, I don't know if it fits your Fly.

Also, Thunder Tiger ball links are much better that stock ones IMHO.

I hope it helps. Enjoy your Fly!
Skeysl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeysl View Post
Hi,
nice build. I'm not Fly pilot but I'm flying EP10 v1 for more than a year and half now. It seems that head is still the same on the Fly. I had some difficulties to setup it right to get +/- 10 degrees of pitch with decent cyclic and no binding.

My solution was to flip the pitch compensator upside down, flip flybar cage and use a few washers. After that my linkages are straight and binding is gone. There's a picture:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/..._3698-full.JPG

There's my canopy:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/..._3693-full.JPG
It's from Eco 8 but it's not original one. Unfortunately, I don't know if it fits your Fly.

Also, Thunder Tiger ball links are much better that stock ones IMHO.

I hope it helps. Enjoy your Fly!
i'll take a look at the head mod. thanks for the info.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

yesterday, i had my friend come over to shoot the headspeed for the set up of the phoenix 60. i was in normal mode, with a 0 flat throttle curve. we were using a sky tach optical tach. i began to raise point 2 in the throttle curve. everything was looking good. i wanted to try and achieve 1800 head speed for normal, and around 2000 for idle up. i got to 1800 at about 62%. when i went to 75%, it read 2020. i was just about to hit hold, (because obviously, there were gearing issues) and BOOM! the tail box rotated on the boom, and the tail blades hit the verticle fin. it also stripped the main gear, bent the tail rotor drive shaft, ripped the screws that hold the side plates onto the tail box, split the blade grip where the ball link attaches, one tail blade gone(can't find it anywhere) and trashed both bearings. not a good day for me.

at this point, i'm going to have to shelve this heli. i'm sure irwin would gladly replace the parts for free(he's that kind of a guy), but something tells me to just stop, take the loss, and get a raptor E550. all the electronics should work for the transfer.

i was very careful with this build. this is a big heli to me, and i wanted to make sure it was safe. maybe this build was beyond my skill level? the raptor seems like it really goes together easily, so i'm going to try it out soon. down the road, i will see where my interests take me as far as the fly is concerned.

i am in no way saying that this heli isn't a nice kit. most of the build was smooth. the frames seemed really solid. the bearings are not the greatest. i switched to boca bearings in the blade grips. some of the bearings were kind of notchy. the motor seemed fine, but i never flew it, so...

i would have to say, that i would NOT recommend this heli for a beginner, or even an intermediate pilot. i've built motorcycles, hot rods, i can fix almost anything. i can fly a real helicopter, but there are some things that OJT is a must, and rc heli's are in that catagory.

thanks for following along

Kevin

i'd like to add that i was at zero pitch while performing the headspeed tests
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just curious. So what do you think actually caused the tail box to twist? Maybe the bearing at the end of the drive shaft? Bevel gear somehow came loose? Sorry to hear about your incident as well as the damage that ensued. Regardless of QWW stuff, maybe it was something overlooked or a freak thing. The tail rotor bearings in my Trex 600 went bad after only 50 some flights. It seems sad to just shelve it without a proper attemped to figure what's up in detail.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Just curious. So what do you think actually caused the tail box to twist? Maybe the bearing at the end of the drive shaft? Bevel gear somehow came loose? Sorry to hear about your incident as well as the damage that ensued. Regardless of QWW stuff, maybe it was something overlooked or a freak thing. The tail rotor bearings in my Trex 600 went bad after only 50 some flights. It seems sad to just shelve it without a proper attemped to figure what's up in detail.
mainly, because time is precious.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead58d View Post
mainly, because time is precious.
These things take time. No disrespect but what do you mean by that comment? Any other heli will take time. Learning to fly one in the first place. Time spent fixing crashes. Especialy if somethings not right in the setup. Do you really know why the heli did what it did? Are you sure you're not just buying into the status quo with regards to public opinion on QWW stuff? Not trying to endorse qww or anything here. A Trex 600 has to be right in just about every way to fly right. The forum is full of people with problems with them. Or at least there setup.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I completely agree that quick helis aren't for beginners. There are many steps during build that need to be done in different way than manual shows and few others steps in advance just to be sure.

From your pictures I have noticed two things. First, there are two screws that hold tail box on tail boom and there is one missing. Despite the fact, it's better to drill small hole through tail box and tail boom and use extra screw to ensure that tail box won't rotate on the boom.

Second, mounting tail fin on the same side as tail rotor isn't a good idea. I'm sorry that I had not noticed that and didn't warn you.

Tom
Skeysl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeysl View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I completely agree that quick helis aren't for beginners. There are many steps during build that need to be done in different way than manual shows and few others steps in advance just to be sure.

From your pictures I have noticed two things. First, there are two screws that hold tail box on tail boom and there is one missing. Despite the fact, it's better to drill small hole through tail box and tail boom and use extra screw to ensure that tail box won't rotate on the boom.

Second, mounting tail fin on the same side as tail rotor isn't a good idea. I'm sorry that I had not noticed that and didn't warn you.

Tom
the other screw was put in later, . look at the caption under the pics of the tail. i said it wasn't tight yet. the tail fin only mounts on that side. the indents are there, and it's what the instructions tell you to do. look on their site, it's the same way, but i agree with you. some of the steps in the instructions were missing altogether. i'm not going to waste anymore time on it. it's stripped, and in the closet.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
These things take time. No disrespect but what do you mean by that comment? Any other heli will take time. Learning to fly one in the first place. Time spent fixing crashes. Especialy if somethings not right in the setup. Do you really know why the heli did what it did? Are you sure you're not just buying into the status quo with regards to public opinion on QWW stuff? Not trying to endorse qww or anything here. A Trex 600 has to be right in just about every way to fly right. The forum is full of people with problems with them. Or at least there setup.
sonny, it took me over a month to build this thing. i see guys who put them together in 3 hours. have you ever seen a fly fly? i haven't either. and as far as buying into the publics opinion on qww stuff, i BOUGHT my heli, and built it. i'm not just complaining about it out of speculation. the first time i ran it, it failed. and i never even got to fly it, so learning to fly doesn't really apply here as far as i'm concerned. my 450, and gaui 200 fly great.

i did notice this in the instructions though.

Optionally, to prevent the Boom End from rotating, drill a 2.3mm hole in the side of the Boom End, then secure with an M2.5x6 Cap Head Bolt. We have not had issues of this split end boom rotating.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

rotorhead58d - you did the right thing by stripping the Fly and throwing it in the closet. I fell for the big lie of how wonderful all those pretty blue anodized and carbon fiber parts were. I've since learned that properly made & designed plastic parts are much better than poorly made metal parts. It took me about a month to put together a QWW .46 pro carbon due to missing parts & parts that didn't fit right. I did get it to fly, but was less than impressed by it's performance. I sold it for a huge loss, but I was happy just to see it gone. Out of 11 helicopters that I have built, it is the only one I truly hated. Do yourself a favor - sell it for parts on Ebay so you don't have to look at the damn thing every time you open the closet!
magxm15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I ran into some issues with my QWW Gas-Her you can read about in the other thread. I've only had it hovering a few times before problems. So I've got a taste of HHI's engineering. I know how you feel. Alittle more inspection in the clutch of my heli might have avoided a gear getting blown out. But the only thing keeping the clutch bell off the top of the shoes in the clutch is the starter hex socket and it's one grub screw that I had to reinforce with 2 more grubb screws. On and on with this type of thing from them. I'm getting the bugs out one at a time. But hell I've had to remachine some of the parts myself. Align said it's an option to put the set screw in the paddles on there 600s. Well I put them in. QWW says it's an option to put a screw in the tail case to tube. Guess what I would've done? Lo and behold you've got a pile of junk now. Sorry to hear that bro. Sorry to see ya give up on it with your invested time and money. At least my investment is still worth it in terms of all the aftermarket motor and electronics, even if I went with a completely different company's air frame. And I'm finding it to be an interesting endevor to get it to fly right and reliable. I hate giving up. Later
Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #34 (permalink)

Default Sorry to disagree

I usually skim the forums to see whats new, and I usually don't feel the need to put my two cents in. However I own a Quick Fly and must say I have had nothing but good flying with it. I am well aware of the rep QWW has but I have two of there machines now and I have been very satisfied. In fact I found this review on their site which was a good push for me to break down and go into the world of electric. Here is the link to the review: http://www.quickheli.com/quickfly_review.pdf. I am not here to start anything, but I have been impressed by the new helis they have, looks like they have great potential. Of course I steer toward strength and dependability, I would take metal and carbon over plastic any day of the week.
eppilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

i know that if i took this heli to irwin, he would help me fix it, and get it flying. i just do not have the time to do it. i still have the heli, i'm not going to sell it, and i might get it flying some day. i really am unsure why the tail failed like that. i'm really not sure if the tail rotated to cause the failure, or if a blade grip broke, or i screwed up, or what. it happened in a millisecond. i like irwin, and the staff at his shop, but i just don't have the time to go there. and i will say again, this is a nice kit. most of it went together very nicely. the instructions are ok, but show me a set of instructions that come with any heli that are complete in every detail. eppilot, i'm glad your heli is everything you want, and yours flys great.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #36 (permalink)

Default Good deal

I hope you get it going someday, I think you will greatly enjoy it when you do, it is a powerful little machine. For the price I think I got a great deal. I thinking about getting a Hard Core soon, I have a friend who recently finished his and it is one powerful machine. I am sure it easily has as much power as a 90. Anyway good luck. I am sure Irwin would be more than happy to help you with the machine, I have always had good experiences.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My personal opinion is that QWW would look better if they spent some energy on upgrade parts for there older machines. I mean Erwin has been nice to me as well. It's just that as well as my gas-her is made in alot of respects, there's still alot of little details in the engineering that can lead to disaster, or at least mechanical agrivation. I've gotten the clues that he is spending alot more energy making his newer stuff better. Alot of people have the older stuff still. And that will continue to haunt them if things don't get rectified. It's mostly little things like spacers here and there, better ways to support certain areas of the main shaft and starter/ clutch shaft, some head issues etc etc...Alot of guys don't have home machine shop equipment. Alot of guys simply don't have the experience in setup. That's the usual come back I hear from them: "Well so and so didn't set it up right." or "He didn't know what he was doing." All of which may be true to some extent. But if they sell to the general public, this aught to be considered. This gas-her is a really nice heli the way it's built. Yet I'm having a series of small detail problems that cause significant problems. Most of which are engineering issues that "I" have to solve. The only solution he mentioned to my head issues was to go ahead and put another companies head on it. I could buy another one of his thou.....
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #38 (permalink)

Default Positive Input

I have dealt with Jon, Chuck, and Irwin, and all have been helpful with my questions. Might I suggest that you take your heli to their shop and share your questions and concerns with them. If my memory is correct, Easton isn't that far from Coopersburg. It may be benefical to everyone involved. You can get the bugs worked out, and the guys at QWW can see what is going on. I know personally that seeing something in person makes it much easier to figure out. They have a very helpful customer service there. It certainly couldn't hurt to ask since they are the manufacturers. Not saying this to you personally, but it sounds as if more people took advantage of their help, many of the issues stated on this forum could have been avoided or handled differently.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been down there a few times. About a twenty minute drive. Erwin has been decent. There's still a number of unresolved issues that basicaly come down to spending more money or doing the mods myselfe. I bought the heli used for $1000 with a 611, Zimmerman pipe, 4-9252s, Zenoa 260, SAB 700mm blades. So it was still worthwhile. It would just be nice to see some upgrade or corrective stuff for these helis with issues rather then excuses. Even if it means buying the upgrades. I can point to at least 5 problems from the bottom of the main shaft to the head alone. Minor things that could cause big problems. These are design things, not build oriented things. On the bright side I've been getting plenty of ideas to make it into a really nice flying machine. But I do have a lathe and milling equipment. Like I said, the parts are made quite well. Just that details here and there have been overlooked or blown off for some reason or other. Hence the stories of in flight failiors become more believable. Don't get me wrong. I'm not into jumping on any bashing bandwagons. To use Erwins words- "I'm telling like it is" or how I see it. There's been issues with other makes. Usually they try to resolve them with new and upgraded parts for even moderately older machines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in