250 quad with Phantom parts - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Phantom Multirotor Support

Phantom Multirotor Support Phantom Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 250 quad with Phantom parts

Is this possible? I have a perfect Phantom 1.1.1., love flying it, but for 6 mins with a GoPro isn't fun anymore.
I'm wondering if I can put the guts from this quad onto a 250 class, just as simple as it sounds. I'm willing to get smaller props (so they don't collide) and use the original landing gear along with the compass.
My wife got me a Mobius camera which is tons lighter than the GP, so,.......am I wasting time or could this turn out to be a longer flying time due to the lighter chassis?
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I'd can't see why not. You'd have a great little bird, although the Naza it uses isn't exactly race tuned. If you do it, you should create a thread for the project.

Edit to add one caveat, which is that with the smaller props, you may lose some thrust/watt efficiency as the motors might need to turn at a speed faster than what's most efficient for these motors.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Al, I'm almost afraid to start another multi rotor project (since my last one ), but I mainly want to fly around with my camera, no racing, just a reliable gps and rth. I could lengthen the arms to accommodate the original props, or purchase 250 class motors/props.
But once I begin flying this tiny rig, its going to be hard to see, which leads me towards fpv . This way I can fly it further away, but I'm on a budget.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by reALIGNed View Post
Hi Al, I'm almost afraid to start another multi rotor project (since my last one ), but I mainly want to fly around with my camera, no racing, just a reliable gps and rth. I could lengthen the arms to accommodate the original props, or purchase 250 class motors/props.
But once I begin flying this tiny rig, its going to be hard to see, which leads me towards fpv . This way I can fly it further away, but I'm on a budget.
Only problems I see. The motors might not turn the props fast enough to provide enough lift. The ESCs in the phantom are really long. Those motors are heavy. The Naza V2 (I believe that generation had the v2) doesnt really have the best throttle control for a small rig. Oh and youll have to do some serious tuning as best as you can. Many of the ones I see with the Naza cannot eliminate oscillations.
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good points, thank you.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually you can go the opposite direction. Take the Phantom guts and put them on to a 450 Quad (i.e. 450 Flamewheel) you can use 10" props and larger batteries for longer flight times.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

a small quad will not work but a larger quad will work.
pilot10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default yeah i agree on phantom 1

the are pokey on take off compared to a 250, i built a 250 just to say i did, but it was like flying a mosquito, very fast, and i did not use NAZA.....to big and heavy, just had CCD on it, it was stable but no gps,

but in naza software i saw my new software firmware has vertical gains, so you can speed up the motors for high speed, but yes motors are heavy ans esc are heavy, so it would probably be a 250 driving drunk on crack......LOL
cruzroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.