Data Bus Connection JLog -- HV²BEC - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Data Bus Connection JLog -- HV²BEC

For a long time JLog reading data from HV²BEC. (not from our LV²BEC, it has no data interface!)
... not all available data but:
- input voltage
- output voltage
- output current
- inner temperature

Everything, except of input voltage, is brought into log and to a telemetry if that data can fit into.

In the past JLog could also set up the output voltage. That was removed because it can now be done by buttons on the BEC, - and there is an optional monitor what can do setup as well.

Every communication takes place through a SMbus, almost compatible to I²C (TWI - Two Wire Interface). Every type of JLog 2.x has at least one I²C interface. JLog 2.6 has a dedicated "data bus", a 2nd I²C interface used to connect to HV²BEC or/and CVS16. That 2nd TWI is not a hardware interface of the microcontroller than "handmade" in assembler code on two general purpose i/o pins (GPIO), - pure software, so called "bit banging". The hardware TWI is used for SPEKTRUM and HiTec telemetry, - in the past also for connecting of a BID chip.

The SMbus interface does not connect to the microcontroller in the BEC than to its "main chip", - with foreign software in it, so to speak.

The monitor (display+) was until now an option external to the BEC. Now, since HVMINIv3, this is an internal option: you buy an OLED display and a lid with an opening and have the monitor always in.
------------------

Now another time an "issue" happened: The manufacturer suddenly has changed something in this chip. In the past we had already a change affecting JLog when they omit one of two temperature sensors in the IC.

Now they changed two other things:
- The bus slave address of the IC has been changed.
- Specs of the temperature sensor got worse: Noisy. Low resolution. Too low values at startup.

At least every HVMINIv3 is affected.

(I tried to take a photo w/ display in action: no chance to get a sharp image w/ my camera )

There may be some BEC's of a pre-v3 version which also got a main chip w/ that last-minute mod.

JLog firmware (all 2.x) got modifications:

1. Automatic bus address recognition. Works w/ both BEC versions automatically, v3 and pre-v3. You even could reconnect between different BEC versions within one boot session of JLog.

2. Integrator on BEC temperature data to remove noise. Acting on all connected HV²BEC. Temperature from a v3 will start too low, come up to reality (almost) within few seconds.

Now the only problem is that I do not have the time to 1-step modify all 220+ firmwares for JLog 2.{0|5|6}..

Therefore, if you select "HV²BEC" or "CVS+HV²BEC" in JLC, a popup appears:

You need at least JLC7.0.3.2 for that.

Following JLog firmwares have the mod already:
Feb 22 17:22 26-K_E-41.20_kwa46.bin (JLog2.6, KOSMIK/JIVEpro mit Workaround kwa46, JETI)
Feb 22 18:05 26-K_E-41.19.bin (JLog2.6, KOSMIK/JIVEpro, JETI)
Feb 23 20:28 26-O_E-211.5.bin (JLog2.6, Hifei King Kong Pro III, JETI)
Feb 27 16:28 26-CC_J-126.16.bin (JLog2.6, Castle, JR)
Feb 27 17:09 26-CCop_J-126.15.bin (JLog2.6, Castle, JR - "own pulse")

-----
Another issue is the built-in display - if you did the upgrade of HVMINIv3:

It was never intended to run both in parallel: JLog and monitor on the same bus w/ HV²BEC. Now we potentially have that situation..

The display will freeze if JLog2.x is connected, at least JLog 2.6.
This can currently not be avoided but is functionally harmless.

This is a multi-master bus w/ two or three masters (JLog, display's MCU, CVS16 is master and slave), and the bus is operated with different clock frequencies. I tried to extend already exiting MM capabilities to avoid collision seen by display's MCU. No success, too less flash ROM for that - although implemented in assembler code.
S32 (aka JLog3) can co-exist with the display w/o causing it to freeze., - could prove it already. Perhaps we will try some change in the software of the display MCU (BEC).

Last edited by dl7uae; 02-27-2016 at 04:51 PM..
dl7uae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.