Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Flamewheel Multirotor Support

Flamewheel Multirotor Support Flamewheel Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Suggestions on a new TX

Been away from fly'n for a while and I'm looking for suggestion for a new TX to go along with my FW550. Want to add a real brushless gimbal to use with my GP4 to my rig and toss out the old homemade "ghetto" rig! I'm currently using an old DX7 that I purchased years ago when I started flying Trex 450 and 550 helis. I was able to program my DX to get my 550 up and in flying. Considering the DX9 or DX18!

Any thoughts or comments welcome! Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have the DX7s and the DX9. I use the 7 for the smaller birds and the 9 for the hex's.

The 9 gives me more model memory and bind on the fly so to speak. I needed more channels for not only flying but gimbal control and other external goodies I design and build myself. The stick gimbals are smooth and can be adjusted for tension.

Bitchin' Betty lets you fly and not have to look down at the display. Sweet female voice gets your attention. And you can select what alert and function she pipes up about. I have her telling me what position/function all the switches are in. There are timer and stopwatch features she will announce as they play out. I set my timers based on experience with flight time and disable the battery function in the NAZA. When she tells me the timer has run out, I land.

My rule of thumb is to get more channels than you need right now and have them on tap when you do. Of course you'll have to upgrade your receiver on your bird if you need the extra channels. IMHO I don't think you'll need 18 channels. I'm more in to the 250 model memory. I have a few variations of each platform so the model memory is handy.

Oh yeah. On the back on top of the hand grips is 2 rotary thumbwheels. As with the rest of the switches they too can be programmed. On mine I have them set to adjust the gains while flying. I really really like that.

Get the 9. Charge the battery for a day then sit down and go through the programming. It took me 2 rounds to get the programming down. And some help from members here. Afterwards, piece of cake.

Ok so I'm a Spektrum fan. Some will say Spektrum has issues like brown outs on the receivers. It's not the fault of the RX when the power running it dips too low. Like everything else, the devil's in the details. As for my experiences with the 7 and 9 and the 7 and 8 channel RX's, I haven't had a single problem.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I have the DX7s and the DX9. I use the 7 for the smaller birds and the 9 for the hex's.

The 9 gives me more model memory and bind on the fly so to speak. I needed more channels for not only flying but gimbal control and other external goodies I design and build myself. The stick gimbals are smooth and can be adjusted for tension.

Bitchin' Betty lets you fly and not have to look down at the display. Sweet female voice gets your attention. And you can select what alert and function she pipes up about. I have her telling me what position/function all the switches are in. There are timer and stopwatch features she will announce as they play out. I set my timers based on experience with flight time and disable the battery function in the NAZA. When she tells me the timer has run out, I land.

My rule of thumb is to get more channels than you need right now and have them on tap when you do. Of course you'll have to upgrade your receiver on your bird if you need the extra channels. IMHO I don't think you'll need 18 channels. I'm more in to the 250 model memory. I have a few variations of each platform so the model memory is handy.

Oh yeah. On the back on top of the hand grips is 2 rotary thumbwheels. As with the rest of the switches they too can be programmed. On mine I have them set to adjust the gains while flying. I really really like that.

Get the 9. Charge the battery for a day then sit down and go through the programming. It took me 2 rounds to get the programming down. And some help from members here. Afterwards, piece of cake.

Ok so I'm a Spektrum fan. Some will say Spektrum has issues like brown outs on the receivers. It's not the fault of the RX when the power running it dips too low. Like everything else, the devil's in the details. As for my experiences with the 7 and 9 and the 7 and 8 channel RX's, I haven't had a single problem.
This. Ive played with a bunch of the other radio brands but honestly I keep coming back to my DX8. Maybe its more intuitive, maybe it feels better, maybe Im just used to it. I know the Mini Quad guys are all nuts for the Taranis but the two Ive played with were confusing as hell to get programmed. I havent had the typical problems with brown outs from receivers and its safe to say Ive tried everything from name brand to OrangeRX to... Well currently my race quad is using a Kensun satellite... As long as you feed them the correct voltage they work fine.
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Setishock and Cpl Woody for the replies! I ended up picking up a slightly used DX9 in great condition. Thought I transferred all my setting from my DX7 on to the DX9 correctly but I'm not able to arm the motors!

Flight mode in on switch B
IOC on switch G
Throttle cut on switch H

Looking for help and answers to the "no arm" problem!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What FC you using? If using a NAZA M V2 (or any NAZA for that matter), be sure that all the stick position indicators in the software go to the left when both sticks are moved to lower left corner of the stick gimbals.

Also, double check your channel assignment and endpoint adjustments on the radio and do your radio calibration on the DX9. If anything is off, then arming won't happen.

I had same problem when moving to the DX9 and found correcting the above made everything happy again.
04fxdwgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks 04fxdwgi for the information

I was able to get my FW550 flying again with a few minor adjustments on that "B" switch that is programmed for flight modes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in