Chroma BNF v 350QX3 BNF - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > Chroma Camera Drone

Chroma Camera Drone Chroma Camera Drone Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Chroma BNF v 350QX3 BNF

Just sold my brand new (Horizon Hobby replacement) 350QX3 and bought a Chroma BNF for pretty much the same price!

I see what people mean about the slight drifting in stability mode when you take your hands off the sticks - sometimes it drifts quite a bit before getting a column lock - strange as with the extra Glonas satellites it should get a lock even quicker than the 350QX3? It's not a biggy as when it does that if you touch the right stick a little bit and let go it seems to remember what it's supposed to do and stay still.

It's certainly a different beast to the 350QX3 - a bit heavier and so not quite as nimble - and it sounds different - bigger props I suppose - mine whistles a bit when in the air!! Do they all do that?

I shouldn't have worried about the TX settings for my DX6i as they are **exactly** the same as for the 350QX3 with all four flight modes from just two switch positions so all I had to do was bind it and take off (obviously after updating the firmware and calibrating etc) The extra flight time is a real pleasure - 25 minutes until first red LED battery warning - not quite the advertised 30 but not bad. I like the big LED pods too although why have they changed it from red at the front like most other quads? I thought that was nearly a standard? Quite well built too, but what have they done with the compass that was in the landing gear? I suspect they didn't need it so much with the extra Glonas satellites. I also like the fact that you have to hold the throttle cut for a couple of seconds to avoid any possibility of accidental disasters!

I just hope this stays in the air longer than both my 350QX3's which I think due to a crappy Mofset just fell out of the air and destroyed itself. Fortunately HH sent me a brand new one which I've just sold and bought this.

So in conclusion:-

Pros:
Well built.
Acceptable/Good flight time.
Power switch sensibly on top now.
Added Glonas Satellites for better GPS.
LED pods much better than on the 350QX3.
Much easier and more secure battery bay.
Better and safer implementation of throttle cut.

Cons:
Bit heavier than 350QX3.
Not quite as nimble.
Drifting a bit in Stability Mode.
Front LED's not red.

I just hope the quality of the components are better than the 350QX3

Last edited by Fourblade; 04-16-2016 at 12:41 PM..
Fourblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I think once you get proficient enough with the Chroma, you will find that in non-GPS mode, it will scoot along nicely at over 70kph (40 to 45mph). As the expression goes, easy does it.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I think once you get proficient enough with the Chroma, you will find that in non-GPS mode, it will scoot along nicely at over 70kph (40 to 45mph). As the expression goes, easy does it.

Don
Thanks for that.

One question - do Chroma's "whistle" when flying? I'm sure mine is whistling or has a slight high pitched sound when you apply more power to the throttle?

Do they all do that or is it just mine? - maybe it's because it's new or maybe one of motors about to explode

Last edited by Fourblade; 04-17-2016 at 05:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine whistles too
HeliHoverAP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm this whistling noise is making me nervous... I don't like something in the air that makes a noise that it shouldn't...

As it's only 1 day old do I return it to the Hobby shop for a replacement??
Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The whistling sound may be no more than air moving through the motors or two motors that are turning exactly the same rpm and creating an audio harmonic (or what ever you call two sounds that are laid directly over each other). If the software testing finds nothing, then enjoy the flying. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a 350 QX3 and now have a Chroma and they definitely sound totally different. I think you got some responses about "checking each motor with the GUI" from your post on RCGroups Chroma thread so I won't repeat that here.
SLYDoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info - I ran the Blade GUI software and the front motor "B" did not sound as healthy as the other three so I've sent it back to the Hobby Shop where I bought it for them to take a look - better safe than sorry.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like my 350 qx3 won't part with it
bladespinning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Hobbyshop has just received my Chroma back and test flew it. They heard the whistling - and tried two more out of the box....

..they also whistled..

Anyways they're going to swapout my Chroma for another new boxed unit.

Hohum....

I did ask them to put the one they're going to send me on the GUI software and check to see if all four motors are sweet... let's see
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well... Looks like that's just the way they sound. I've been flying mine quite a bit and it has always whistled.

I'm gonna try that motor test......
HeliHoverAP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.