Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Protos 700/800

MSH Protos 700/800 MSH Protos 700/800 Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yet another build thread

I know there are plenty other build threads, so I was not going to do this. However, I decided since it's my first build I'd like to document it a little bit.

Anyway, here's as far as I got today:

No issues so far except just inexperience. After reading a bit more, I don't think I put enough grease in the thrust bearing so I'll have to re-do that. I didn't really pack it full.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8250.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	649378  
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure you "need" to pack it full...It will push it where it wants anyway. As long as it's coated good and you got a bit between balls () I think you're good.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ah ok. oh well. I did it already.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Airetic

Welcome! Can't have too many build threads. I prefer this format as well. As you go along you may have questions. I think it is great to be able to ask them all in one place versus having a new thread for each question.

I'll be following along.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't be shy, post away

Like kilo said, it's a great way to interact and get tips and such. We are here to help
Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It's good to get fresh perspectives. Even grizzled veterans don't always see the best way to do something.

I'll be starting my build this coming weekend. I haven't decided yet whether to document it in a thread.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well alright then. Thanks everybody. I'll try to post more pics as I go along and any questions as they come up. So far it's been a pretty quick and simple build. I don't think it's going to take as long as I originally thought. It definitely makes me want to build more. ...I think my wallet just ran and hid.

I don't think I'll get to work on it any today, but I did a little bit more last night after the initial post. I'll post a pic of my progress later today.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last night I installed the right side frame and the... uh middle frame assembly/chassis/subframe assembly onto the lower frame and skids. I just now had a little bit of free time so I attached the other frame side. It's starting to look like a helicopter.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8255.jpg
Views:	1774
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	649494  
Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok so I just installed the tail belt tension spring. What difference do the different holes make? I don't (can't) fly real hard but I do like to do tic tocs. Is the middle hole good enough for that or should I move it to the "hard 3d" hole?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8260.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	649665  

Last edited by ultrataco; 04-29-2016 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: added pic
ultrataco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

2nd hole should be perfect

A buddy I fly with uses the first hole for sport flying and the odd tic toc. But if your doing funnels and anything hard on the tail start in the second hole
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome first build man! Mine was the Mini Protos and it was a great learning experience. Building the darn things is a good portion of the fun for me

Things go smoother the more kits you build, I've always had the mos trouble trying to figure out fastener tightness, not too tight, and not too loose - not having torque specs means it all comes down to feel, and I STILL get paranoid about over stressing screws or leaving things too loose. Need to trust that threadlock ha!

Anyway, awesome job man!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Broughton View Post
2nd hole should be perfect

A buddy I fly with uses the first hole for sport flying and the odd tic toc. But if your doing funnels and anything hard on the tail start in the second hole
cool. I am starting to learn upright tail-down funnels, but I don't push them too hard yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
Awesome first build man! Mine was the Mini Protos and it was a great learning experience. Building the darn things is a good portion of the fun for me

Things go smoother the more kits you build, I've always had the mos trouble trying to figure out fastener tightness, not too tight, and not too loose - not having torque specs means it all comes down to feel, and I STILL get paranoid about over stressing screws or leaving things too loose. Need to trust that threadlock ha!

Anyway, awesome job man!
Yeah I know what you mean. I've done enough work on my other helis (and built a fpv quad last year) that I'm fine assembling parts, soldering and most electronics. But, there are some things that just take experience. That's what helifreak is for.

Anyway, I installed the tail boom and rudder servo. also found a good use for my rc logger besides blade pitch.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8283.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	649704  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I picked a good weekend to build this thing. It's been raining all day. I didn't get as far as I expected today because I ran into a little hiccup. Hopefully it will turn out ok. More on that later.

Tail case:

Getting ready to install tail grip bearings:
I think greasing bearings is probably my least favorite part about building so far, but still not too bad. just messy and sticky.

Tail fin with sticker:

The third, short screw for the fin was not included and isn't in the manual It's probably not necessary, but I had some leftover screws that fit except were a bit too long. I had to grind down an 8mm down to 6mm to keep it off the tail case.

Now here was my issue. I ran into one of those "experience required" things. Everything on the tail was super smooth and free except the little pitch slider grips and pins.

Actually it was smooth but did not move as freely as I thought it should . So I tried sanding the parts which kind of made it worse because then it would slide freely in a spot in the middle and then bind a little around that spot. So I sanded some more. Then the parts would slide together easily until put the pin back in. Then the slider would still slide inconsistently. So I jammed a 1.5mm hex key through just the middle hole and spun it around to open it up a little, hoping the outer grip holes could hold the pins well enough. Had to sand some more after that but this basically fix my "issue" (if it really was an issue. ) Of course now the pins were looser than before so I put a drop of ca glue where the pins stick out. I'm hoping that will hold them. I'll definitely do plenty of bench testing. I'm thinking I should buy a spare pitch slider in case this one doesn't work out. If it comes to that, I'll just install it and leave it alone.

I'm not sure how I feel about parts being held together with a pin held in by friction alone. Seems like it wouldn't take long to work it's way out. Do other helis have this setup?

Anyway here is how it ended up after today. Looking good. I want to let the ca sit overnight and hope it actually dries (this ca is slow for some reason) and doesn't find it's way into the middle part of the pin.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8308.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	649951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8323.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	649952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8334.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	649953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8337.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	649954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8338.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	649955  

Name:	DSC_8340.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	649956  
Old 05-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have the original version tail fin that is solid in the center and has 3 holes.. The new fin does not have the third hole and is not needed.
There is a new manual update just released that includes the part about no third screw. Mine had it also. I found out about the new tail fin design with only 2 holes after ordering another fin for Evo so I can have green AND orange..:-)) Alex said not to worry about not having a 3rd hole...Plenty stout as-is.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've reached this same point in my build and noticed some notchiness in the tail drive when I move the belt. I'm hoping it's something that will go away when the belt is broken in after a few flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-01-2016, 02:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Airetic

Lookin good so far. As for the tail slider pins, I would recommend that you order a new one and use it. If it were my heli, I would not fly it with those pins CA'd in the way you did. This is just too critical of a part.

Those pins do go in tight for a good reason, and it is ok for them to be a little tight initially. It will loosen up.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
Lookin good so far. As for the tail slider pins, I would recommend that you order a new one and use it. If it were my heli, I would not fly it with those pins CA'd in the way you did. This is just too critical of a part.

Those pins do go in tight for a good reason, and it is ok for them to be a little tight initially. It will loosen up.
+1

I'd definitely order a new pitch slider and not chance it man. The pins go in tight for a reason, don't sweat it the tail is phenomenal on the Protos
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alan, I was doing the same with my tail where I checked for binding/rough fit.
I was trying to determine where the pin was to hold onto - either the slider or the forks
I did not touch the tail pitch slider but just the forks, opening them just a hair for a smoother non rough movement.
The thought crossed my mind having the pin eject and doing some blur piro's into the ground.
mystar60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystar60 View Post
Alan, I was doing the same with my tail where I checked for binding/rough fit.
I was trying to determine where the pin was to hold onto - either the slider or the forks
I did not touch the tail pitch slider but just the forks, opening them just a hair for a smoother non rough movement.
The thought crossed my mind having the pin eject and doing some blur piro's into the ground.

I'm talking about the tail belt drive, not the slider. I'll start another thread so I don't continue hijacking this one.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK ordered new pitch slider. I will not mess with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I've reached this same point in my build and noticed some notchiness in the tail drive when I move the belt. I'm hoping it's something that will go away when the belt is broken in after a few flights.
Interesting. I will check for that. I assume the belts will stretch and loosen up as they break in. Not sure how long that takes though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in