Second Raptor 50 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Second Raptor 50

Hello I have Purchased a Raptor 50 off of Craigslist with A lifetime of spare parts( enough to rebuild this thing for a lifetime or build another)
and plenty of new upgraded parts (no interest in right now)

I am starting this thread to get some Insight on this bird and anything I should know about it good or bad.

I have gone through this helicopter with a fine tooth come and everything check out as of right now , No stripped servo gears or bad servos, all bolts are tightened down within reason, fly bar feathering spindle and main shaft are all true. Main gear looks good, belt drive is brand new, blades are balanced along with main rotor head, Motor is in good condition, all bearings including main shaft feathering spindle and tail all appear it be fine no roughness or grinding.

So I have done all the basic and most important parts, just wondering if there is anything about this helicopter that I should pay specific attention to?

I am putting a DX6 receiver in it and play on using my DX6 on this helicopter. Has anyone had any problems with this radio and this helicopter?

Basically just trying to make sure I am not missing anything before i put some nitro in the tank and start hovering and tunning the motor (o.s max .50 sx)

Im getting itchy to fly it so I decided to calm my roll and get on the forms and ask some questions before i decided to fly it. When you rush you make mistakes and I want to avoid that and see this beauty turn into a ball on the ground.
kyosho 30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

i used to have a raptor 50, if you have any questions let me know,

do you have a governor installed on it?

if not i recommend putting one in.

the raptor 50 is like a tank, the plastic frame is very sturdy so its a good heli to crash : )))

The stock landing gear is quite strong too.

Its a great lowcost machine.
pteroleo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile few things

if you do not already have one then you should get (or make) a base plate
There are "shiny" carbon ones like quick uk used to make but epoxy circuit board and some time with a handsaw works just as well.
This will reduce the risk of crash damage even more.

My "standard procedure" for restoring used heli with a unknown past is to replace all ball bearings, then on reassembly add a small drop of lock-tight between the axle and the inner bearing race (glue the bearing to the shaft).
Pre-load" the starter shaft and the main shaft by pushing the starter coupling down and the starter shaft up from inside while tightening the setscrews and the same for the main shaft (shaft up lock ring down)
This will eliminate any play and increase the lifespan of the bearings.
Also check if the starter shaft is straight; turn it and put a finger on the clutch bell; it should not move in any way.
Any movement (in out ect) indicates a bent starter shaft and that needs to be replaced or you will have more vibrations then needed.
Another thing i do is grinding bigger flats on the starter shaft and use longer setscrews so they slip less soon and if they do you can use pliers to open them.
Any time you put in getting the push rods correct and the links smooth (bit of silicone oil) will contribute in a better flying heli and also get the cg right with a empty tank.
If tail heavy then get a bigger receiver battery (5 d cell/ 6v)

I fly with only 5% nitro so i remove the head gasket of the engine to increase compression on my OS engines ; if you fly higher nitro fuel you might even have to add a gasket to get the compression right.

When i glue in the clutch liner i only allow for a small gap between the clutch; this makes sure the clutch "shoes" only have to bend out a little so there is less chance of it breaking; a low idle is needed for this to be practical.

Those are a few things i could think of and i hope they are useful for you

Last edited by cmulder; 05-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: .
cmulder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.