Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice thing about the update is it wipes your firmware clean. So you need to rebind and I would recommend you go through the servo setup and why not use a pitch gauge to set zero pitch or get a swash leveler. I think the swash to head linkages are fixed length anyways. Then do a trim flight. Honestly I would be surprised if it does not fly well. You will STILL have the swash tilt issue on the ground though and will need to take off carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
If your 230 shot off, as you say, something tells me that even an update would have prevented that. An update will help you a little on lift off and may help with a left drift in stability..it does not make it a hands free heli.

I have 2 and they both have been updated now. I still have to be careful on lift-off whether I am in stability or IU1. I usually don't fly in stability.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will go through a full setup once the firmware is upgraded. Calibrate, level ams, Trim Flight, swash setup, pitch etc. etc. I want it flying right before I risk the irreplaceable Huey shell.

I can get another mechanism to go in that, I cannot get another shell as they have not only been discontinued, but the distributors are now out of stock too. They are all gone and now unobtainable.

I don't have a problem spending time tuning and getting it dialled in to fly well, I do that with all my helis, and as stated before that is part of the hobby and part of the fun. I don't have a problem with spending money on aftermarket upgrades either if I want them. TBH, I am lucky that money is not the issue, I can pretty much buy what I want when I want (within reason, talking hundreds not thousands here).

I do have a problem with having to give Blade more money purchasing the cable to fix a typical Blade problem of releasing a flawed product and expecting paying customers to be their beta testers. If a brand new item is not fit for purpose (and currently it is not) Blade should step up and sort it, not charge more and make a profit to resolve it. A matter of principle rather than anything else.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this excellent thread with my complaints about Blade, as I said before, time to move on.
naga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well some very good news!

Cable arrived, upgraded from firmware version 4.1 (original?) to 4.23, calibrated and today did a trim flight. About 07:30 but I had woken up anyway and it was really calm, virtually no wind, while the forecast was for wind and rain later. Go for it I thought.

Totally different bird. She still wants to tip while in "Stability" mode on the ground during spool up but I understand that is normal.

Once in the air there was a little drift to the right but two clicks of trim and there she was, hovering beautifully. I only flew a couple of batteries as the wind started picking up. Let's see how I get to like her now.

Thanks for your help guys, especially Toad. Cheers!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome news my friend. I have gotten used to ignore trim because the AR7200BX (my standard FBL on larger birds) takes trim as commands so I completely disable it on the radio whenever I program a model. To solve my drift issues I countered with adjusting linkages servo to swash. Not saying this Heli needs it I just got used to it and is kind of a best practice for me.

Very glad you are now all set. Now you have to wish me luck this week I hope to finally fly my 360 hoping not to crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
Well some very good news!

Cable arrived, upgraded from firmware version 4.1 (original?) to 4.23, calibrated and today did a trim flight. About 07:30 but I had woken up anyway and it was really calm, virtually no wind, while the forecast was for wind and rain later. Go for it I thought.

Totally different bird. She still wants to tip while in "Stability" mode on the ground during spool up but I understand that is normal.

Once in the air there was a little drift to the right but two clicks of trim and there she was, hovering beautifully. I only flew a couple of batteries as the wind started picking up. Let's see how I get to like her now.

Thanks for your help guys, especially Toad. Cheers!
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is my understanding that for this type of heli you do not want to adjust trim. If stability is all you plan to fly in maybe no issue, but when you shift into IU1/2 your adjustments will be working against you, or you will need to shift back to where it was.
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

I understand a couple of clicks is acceptable, but more is not good. I could try another trim flight, and probably will.

I am not sure about flying in "Stability" mode all the time. My piloting skills are not that good, being an older guy it has taken me a long time to learn how to fly CP and I am not that comfortable with it as yet. But I keep working on it and I am slowly improving. Long way to go yet.

Anyway, now I am happier with the 230s, I just bought a second one off ebay. It is used, came with eight batteries and was a real bargain for the price. The 230s has been around long enough for people to outgrow them, that was why the guy was selling his. More used ones are starting to appear on eBay now.

The first one will go in my Blade Huey shell for the old SR. The 230s is the next generation and virtually drops straight in with a few minor modifications.

I need a second for an Apache shell for the old Blade CP I have on order. Since the 230s is a continuation of the Blade CP - SR lineage, it should fit just right.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure you post some pictures

I purchased it for the Stability and trust me my skills are low like tail in hover only still. I am still happier flying without self leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
I understand a couple of clicks is acceptable, but more is not good. I could try another trim flight, and probably will.

I am not sure about flying in "Stability" mode all the time. My piloting skills are not that good, being an older guy it has taken me a long time to learn how to fly CP and I am not that comfortable with it as yet. But I keep working on it and I am slowly improving. Long way to go yet.

Anyway, now I am happier with the 230s, I just bought a second one off ebay. It is used, came with eight batteries and was a real bargain for the price. The 230s has been around long enough for people to outgrow them, that was why the guy was selling his. More used ones are starting to appear on eBay now.

The first one will go in my Blade Huey shell for the old SR. The 230s is the next generation and virtually drops straight in with a few minor modifications.

I need a second for an Apache shell for the old Blade CP I have on order. Since the 230s is a continuation of the Blade CP - SR lineage, it should fit just right.
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 05-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default new video

Blade 230s changing the main shaft (9 min 42 sec)
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

I installed a 300 X motor in my 230s, video shows how it fits

Showing 300 X motor in Blade 230s (2 min 19 sec)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
I installed a 300 X motor in my 230s, video shows how it fits

Showing 300 X motor in Blade 230s - YouTube
So how's it fly with that motor? Is that the factory 230 ESC or a different one?
kona0915 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

The test flight went very well. It is the stock esc and 10 tooth pinion. Looks like about 45 second drop in flight time unless I go bigger batteries
Test flight 300x motor in Blade 230s (5 min 57 sec)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Motor swap, you been busy. See you cut the crash pad. Lol

slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The test flight went very well. It is the stock esc and 10 tooth pinion. Looks like about 45 second drop in flight time unless I go bigger batteries
Test flight 300x motor in Blade 230s - YouTube
Very cool, looked like it had a little more pop for the 3D manuevers and didn't bog
kona0915 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 03:40 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

First wave buyers are Blade's beta test group. This is how its been for every Blade heli I've owned, including a couple that aren't in my sig. And the problems have not always been corrected: the mSR X is a good example of this. It required what seemed like a universal "MM mod" to fly without bad drift and yaw. The mod corrected the drift and yaw, but it still suffered poor tail hold and from an awful piro rate (especially CCW).

Both my 180 CFX and 230S were perfect out of the box. I bought neither as the beginner helis they are not sold as, opted to not be a paying beta tester, and I was not disappointed with what I received. My 230S will never see a calibration flight or a Stability mode flight because I bought it as the "intermediate" (Sport) CP heli it states it as on the box. Stability mode is a Fixed Pitch flight envelope with beginner mode - I put my time in on FP helis and didn't buy the 230S for FP or even as a beginner CP heli. Although even in IU2 it is very tame - exactly as one should expect an intermediate CP heli to be.
Blade Scraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am now researching Scorpion motors, the 300x motor I'm testing is used with a lot of flights but still is performing much better than stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0915 View Post
Very cool, looked like it had a little more pop for the 3D manuevers and didn't bog
Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep crash pad was bugging me haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogoat View Post
Motor swap, you been busy. See you cut the crash pad. Lol

Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

What changes to advanced settings did you have to do?

I upgraded to a 14T pinion and the increase in head speed makes this heli even more awesome.

Quote:
Yep crash pad was bugging me haha
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

d12bn,

Your contributions to this site are priceless! Thank you!!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's very kind of you to say Bill. Have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
d12bn,

Your contributions to this site are priceless! Thank you!!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool. Thanks for n posting.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in