Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Mechanics

Mechanics Mechanics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RC Aerodyne 500 size raised TT w/4 bladed tail

Has anyone used the RC Aerodyne 500 sized raised tail setup with a 4 bladed tail? I am in the process of building an Apache and have both the RCA TT setup and the CNChelicopter 4 blade Apache tail rotor. I had read some posts saying the early versions of this TT setup had issues dealing with the load of a 4 blade tail. Is this still the case, or was it fixed? If not, what gears could I upgrade 2 to make it suitable for operation?
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Align gears melted like butter on a two blade setup. I switched to flex shaft rather than loosing the fuselage.
I know you're asking about RC Aerodyne ones but I believe they are the same as the smart-model ones.
Flexshafts work fine if they are set up correctly.

Gh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a RCA UH-1N with a 2 blade tail (2x 95mm though), and it works just fine.

There was some 500s that had an Align angled gearbox, and the gears in it were tiny, and didn't last well. The Heliartist gearbox was much bigger, and handled well, though I cannot comment on a 4 blade.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...j7xmTHv346M%3A

The photo shows the difference between the Align and Heliartist gearboxes.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Colin, I stand to be corrected but I don't think you can get those Heliartist gearbox's any more, unfortunately (but if you can please let me know )
Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for help everyone, this is the gearbox I have: http://www.scaleflying.com/Torque-Tu...ze_p_2645.html, like GH mentioned I believe it is the same as the smart model version. I have heard plenty about the issues with the Align version and stayed away from it for that reason. I did try to hunt down a heliartist gearbox, but had no success. Finding anything from them seems to be nearly impossible now. As for my RCA/Smartmodel gearbox, the 600 size version had some issues, but I haven't seen a lot on the 500 size version. I might set it up and do a few tail rotor full throws tests to load/unload the system. If it works fine, it would be the preferred solution for me. In general, I prefer the gearboxes over installing a flex shaft system.
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one of those alloy raised tail kits for my 600 Seahawk. It works OK, but I would suggest changing the gears to stock Align (may be some minor mods required).

When I got mine I tested it to destruction, and the supplied gears failed in about half the time the white Align gears did. Granted it was a pretty severe test that involved running at the governed 1350rpm with full pitch on 4x 105mm tail blades with the mechanics clamped down. The supplied gears lasted about 12-15 seconds, and the Align gears lasted about 25-30 seconds. A new set of Align gears has done about 130 or so flights since.

I can't comment on the 500 sized version though.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnstromPilot View Post
Thanks for help everyone, this is the gearbox I have: http://www.scaleflying.com/Torque-Tu...ze_p_2645.html, .
Hello,
i think you can try this one
http://scaleflying.de/product_info.p...-500-size.html

after speaking with vendor, he told me that is align compatible but with stronger tooth, according him he sold a lot of item to pilots in your ( an mine) case, who use actually align gearbox and don't want to crash scale ....i think i 'll buy it for Christmas...

Best regards
oponohou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in